Patient Comments: Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with PMDD.

Comment from: Andrea Wiles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

In 2008, I was originally diagnosed with PMDD. I would have two periods a month, for a week each time. The pain was unbearable. I could be sitting down and get a sharp, stabbing pain that was worse than a contraction, and it would take my breath away. I would get pains that doubled me over and made me crawl because they hurt so badly. I have had the mood swings, the depression, the anxiety, debilitating pain, etc. It has been so bad that in the late part of 2011 I was sent to an OB/GYN to have a hysterectomy done because of my severe PMDD. I ended up having a hysterectomy in February 2012, but the doctor left my ovaries because I was 33 years old at the time. I still had the symptoms, except now they were 10 times worse than before. I am seeing another OB/GYN, and he says the only thing left to do is remove my ovaries because the medication didn't work on me. I know having my ovaries removed means that I am going to need the extra hormones, but maybe I will feel better. PMDD is nothing to brush off.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Causes Question: What caused your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your PMDD?
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your PMDD?