Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes

What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had two episodes of atrial fibrillation in three weeks, was given Rythmol to convert successfully. Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) began after second atrial fibrillation when the doctor put me on Rythmol three times daily to prevent atrial fibrillation. It is horrible, depressing, and hard to live your life normally. The doctor will begin dropping Rythmol dose soon, atrial fibrillation may return. It may not be the medication but never had PVCs before Rythmol.

Comment from: Indiana, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 43 year old male and I have been diagnosed with PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). They are benign but bothersome. Causes seem to be 1) adrenaline rushes (when I'm coaching), 2) caffeine, 3) lawn mowing, 4) biking and 5) standing after eating a full meal. Strangely, they don't bother me when I run or when I'm asleep.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I first noticed PVCs about three weeks ago during a particularly vicious attack of heartburn. The heartburn went away, but the palpitations did not. I went to the doctor who ordered a Holter monitor and discovered I was having them many times a day, several times a minute. They were happening more often then I realized. It felt as though my heart would beat very forcefully and then flutter. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when they happen. Luckily, I have not experienced any shortness of breath as some have. I do notice sometimes I feel the need to cough as some have described. My pulse rate does not seem to change in response to the PVCs. But it looks like I need to make some lifestyle changes--more exercise, less caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. I do feel relieved that I've been diagnosed and they are not life threatening.

Comment from: Lorilynn19, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I went to the doctor after having my thyroid medications changed and dosage was raised. I have had palpitations on and off all my life. But I got scared when they were really noticeable and had them often for days. It has been about 6 months since I had them this noticeable again. The doctor called a cardiologist with my information, age and thyroid disease, and he said as long as I have no pain or dizziness it would be something I would just have to live with. It is so annoying at times. He called them PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). I have no stress, I am retired so now have to figure out what is causing them.

Comment from: Hnnood, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My premature ventricular contractions make me feel tired and fatigued all the day. Recently I found the cause. I have high thyroid hormone levels.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

My palpitations were increasing to the point of more than 1400 per day according to a Holter Monitor. I tried stopping all caffeine, taking iron, taking magnesium, taking Hawthorn Berry, meditation, yoga even a short time on Beta Blockers--nothing made any difference. I stopped eating nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc) and within 8 days all symptoms were gone. Look at your diet for food sensitivities!

Comment from: NP6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

The doctor would never confirm it, but I say stress caused my PVC's. I was exhausted by them. There were days that I would sleep like I was drugged. Finally, the doctor gave me 50mg of Flecinaide twice daily. In a week I noticed a difference in two weeks a huge difference! Don't give up there is help!

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?