Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes

What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?

Comment from: Mel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have been fighting a cough for the last month. I have had 4 sinus infections that end up with this horrible cough every time over the last five months, treated each time with antibiotics and steroids. I went to the ENT and found out I am allergic to everything outside. Well, I have had the latest cough for a month, sinus is clear, chest x-ray was fine, pulmonary function test fine. I was sent back to my family practitioner. It seems all of this hard coughing day and night have sent my premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) into overdrive. I would have one occasionally. Now they are all day and eating sends them into a frenzy. I keep reading about thyroid and wonder if that is an underlying cause for everything even though the enormous amount of allergies seems more sensible. I have 3 siblings 1 with hypothyroid and 1 with hyperthyroid. I am under a lot of stress right now also. I hate night time because it seems like once or twice a night my diaphragm just jumps and make me cough.

Comment from: francois, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I take prednisone 5 milligrams for my cluster headaches. This is the only medication which works for me. Fifteen minutes after I take this medication, I am pain free.

Comment from: ladyk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have never had premature ventricular contractions (PVC) before and they really scared me. I get them here and there but when I have indigestion or heartburn I belch and they start, but when I go walking or moving around very active I don't feel them at all. But if I am sitting around I can feel them. My doctor told me I could have stress and worry. I may have a few worries. I have changed my diet and losing weight at one time I thought maybe it was me changing my eating habits. She did blood test and they came back normal. But I still need to know so they are doing an ultrasound on me next week and I will be wearing a monitor to see what my heart is doing. I am hoping that everything is ok. My doctor states she may put me on beta blockers to try and stop them. But I promise I will get to the bottom of this issue.

Comment from: lynnsp, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've been taking ibuprofen lately for lower back pain. I take it rarely. I'm having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) which leave me breathless and tired. I'm wondering if others have experienced this sensation with Ibuprofen. I've had PVCs in the past but not recently. It's likely I was using Ibuprofen then.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

My premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are due to mitral valve prolapse.

Comment from: jab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have been suffering from this enlarged prostate since 3 or 4 years. I am taking medicine regularly, but since last few days I have been suffering with all the symptoms, i.e., frequently urinating in the night, starting with pain and ending with pain, and feel as if I want to urinate again.

Comment from: CathyB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Further to my last posting, I have been told there is a small chance I had a clot developing, but no treatment given as I had stopped the medication. After that I had to see the general physician because of a recurrence of chronic bronchitis, and he said my dizziness is due to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (not labyrinthitis). I am still waiting to see the neurologist in February, only 3 more weeks until I may finally get some answers! I also was diagnosed with primary empty sella syndrome a couple of years ago, and wonder if there is a connection.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?