Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes

What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?

Comment from: ArmyChick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I began having premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) since last year, after a year of heavy exercise at basic military training. They were very symptomatic and prevented me from working out. I was tested for a lot of things, including stress tests, before they found the problems. The PVCs are now under control using beta blockers (though I have a LOT of chest pain) and I've been able to return to a life close to normal. However, my exercise is limited as they are aggravated by exercise.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I was diagnosed with PVC's about 15 years ago. I wasn't sure what was going on. It felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. When I was wearing the monitor the doctor had me wear for 24 hours he said they had seen it beat like that about 1600 times. He told me to stay away from caffeine. This was really hard cause I really like chocolate. But that does seem to help the most. Also for me over eating seems to make it flare up.

Comment from: B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am a 36 y/o female - started dealing w/ PVC's mildly during 2nd pregnancy. After 3rd pregnancy, it almost went full throttle. Last Holter monitor showed 6700 pvc's in a 24 hour period. I also have mild mitral valve prolapse. Cardiologist doesn't seem too concerned. I am too scared to get heart ablation done. I am on Verapamil 80 mg prn but may start going daily due to mild high bp. Anxiety is always high. I hate the feeling of pvc's - Hate! My caffeine and chocolate intake reduced substantially. Almost no alcohol. Husband can't really appreciate the toll it takes on me. Just want to feel normal again.

Published: May 26

I was born with hyper obstructive cardiomyopathy and started having PVC's in my teenage years I would say when I was 15. As I grew older I started having them more often until I was 30 when I almost died and got a pacemaker. I am 34 taking 50mg toprol. My condition has worsened with time. Recently I have been having more PVCs and last week I had high P waves that made the pacemaker malfunction caused it to read them as R waves. So I passed out a lot until the pacemaker was adjusted.

Comment from: mike l., 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 20

I'm 28 years old and have had PVC's since I was about 14 years old. Some days they are horrible and some days I only get 1 or 2. Several times I have had them go nonstop for 3 days straight. I've been to the doctor several times and in the ER once because they were every single heart beat for a full 24 hours. The ER doctors were not concerned at all even though I thought I was dying. I have since seen a cardiologist and he prescribed me metoprol sufficiate. I haven't had a single one since then and that was about a year ago. It's a wonderful feeling not having PVC's anymore.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have had these since age 18 (now 50). Worse during pregnancy, so tested after and told I have lots of them, enough that they would consider treating me with heart rate regulators, but that these had risks. I said no and still here. Causes for me are: I must avoid all stimulants, no caffeine etc. I have problems during stress, when I exercise too hard, when my heart rate jumps suddenly, around any cigarette smoke. I am in the midst of menopause now, so lots of problems again; hormones have always had a large impact as well. Often I have no idea what is causing it too.

Comment from: Tailwind, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 22

Senior male: Mine was caused by beta blocker, metoprolol taken for 1 year. A trial of a mild vasiodialator would clear the premature ventricular contractionss. Another factor was 2 mg of an antihistamine at night. By eliminating both, I am PVC clear. I monitor my pulse with an electronic wrist unit, which will show a sign for PVCs.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?