Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes

What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?

Comment from: Sheevies, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am a 39-year-old female with PVCs that have really scared me. There is also a high cardiac risk because of my family history. I get PVCs during exercise, rest, and sleep that wake me. I also get headaches and a feeling of wanting to cough sometimes. I have recently started working out more because I am overweight, but it scares me because I feel that my heart is going to stop because the PVCs seem to be aggravated. I wish there was more studies and help out there for this condition. It is really hard to live with it.

Comment from: Rachel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have been on a birth control pill called Yazmin for several years -- during which time I was diagnosed with pre-ventricular contractions. When taken off the birth control, I had fewer to no PVC symptoms. This particular drug is known to "leech" potassium from the body -- so my doctors suspected it may have contributed to an electrolyte imbalance and triggered PVCs.

Comment from: pvcpal, 45-54 Female Published: January 27

I am 52 years old and have had pvcs since I was 24. I am very active and have had all the test known to mankind it is frustrating and has ruled my life. All I can say is no caffeine little to no alcohol and keep exercising. I have been a horse trainer all of my life and the scary thing is when I travel I'm always thinking I might have a heart attack on the road for some reason. If I keep my diet bland it seems to help I know this won't stop any of you from worrying but I am still here after all these years and I am very active take care and good luck.

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I am 55 year-old female. I have hypothyroid disease and have for 20 years. I had a incident where the contractions lasted for several hrs. Doctors did an EKG and said it is nothing to worry about and I would just have to live with it. Doctors think I might have a bit of anxiety.

Comment from: annmarie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

My cardiologist believes the PVCs may be caused by mitral valve prolapse and redundancy.

Comment from: puzzler, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I am a 62 year old woman who has premature ventricular contractions and they make me nuts. Previous to 2005 they were infrequent but my hubby had surgery and the stress made them go bananas for about a month...In excess of 2000 a day. They eventually taped off and went back to infrequent till two weeks ago when they really picked up. I don't know why. I had the blood work and an EKG and all is normal but I am so exhausted from not sleeping because of the pounding. I know there are some drugs ot there to help but they are extremely dangerous so I suppose I will have to live with this. But I don't have to like it.

Comment from: Inge D., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am 47 year old female. I started with the premature ventricular contractions (PVC) about 2 years ago. They started irregular at times but have been constant for the last few months. I am also on HRT for the last year or so. I get panic attacks along with them but mostly in the mornings. Going to sleep is a challenge sometimes. One thing that seems to help me relax a bit is by taking 2.5mg of Xanax. It is just enough for me to take the edge off and not panic and fall asleep. I just had another stress test done and during that time they were pretty strong and many. Going to see my Cardiologist again after my Echo-cardiogram, next week. Going to discuss Catheter Ablation with him.

Comment from: mdreeves09, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

With my premature ventricular contractions, I have had episodes that were so severe that I thought I was having a heart attack. The causes are usually being very upset or extremely startled. Sometimes I have them for days without stopping and it is very painful and exhausting. I can't concentrate and I have bad headaches.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?