Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes

What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?

Comment from: Kevin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) occur when I engage in cardio activity such as tennis and riding the elliptical. I have had all major heart tests (echo, nuclear stress and heart catheterization), all of which are normal. I have had chest x-ray and extensive blood work, and all are normal. The result I have been given is that it is nothing to worry about but it is something that I will have to live with. No real known cause but also not harmful because no indication of any heart problem. Very annoying as I enjoy physical exercise which I now have to curtail at least to some degree.

Comment from: alaa77, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I am football player I have diagnosed with premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) 3 years ago. That time I didn't know what was causing them. I had to do Echo and ECG under stress, it turned out my heart is healthy and these are not harmful as long as they are not too many. By this time I started to concentrate on finding what was causing them and in my case they happen when, 1. I have adrenaline rush. 2. Low magnesium and potassium which is something I found after starting to use supplement that has them, which made my PVC low and controlled. 3. Muscle fatigue 4. Lack of sleep. 5. Lack of movement. More importantly they disappear with exercise. I still have them now but I know how to control them and keep them as low as possible.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had two episodes of atrial fibrillation in three weeks, was given Rythmol to convert successfully. Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) began after second atrial fibrillation when the doctor put me on Rythmol three times daily to prevent atrial fibrillation. It is horrible, depressing, and hard to live your life normally. The doctor will begin dropping Rythmol dose soon, atrial fibrillation may return. It may not be the medication but never had PVCs before Rythmol.

Comment from: Indiana, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 43 year old male and I have been diagnosed with PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). They are benign but bothersome. Causes seem to be 1) adrenaline rushes (when I'm coaching), 2) caffeine, 3) lawn mowing, 4) biking and 5) standing after eating a full meal. Strangely, they don't bother me when I run or when I'm asleep.

Comment from: Lorilynn19, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I went to the doctor after having my thyroid medications changed and dosage was raised. I have had palpitations on and off all my life. But I got scared when they were really noticeable and had them often for days. It has been about 6 months since I had them this noticeable again. The doctor called a cardiologist with my information, age and thyroid disease, and he said as long as I have no pain or dizziness it would be something I would just have to live with. It is so annoying at times. He called them PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). I have no stress, I am retired so now have to figure out what is causing them.

Comment from: Hnnood, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My premature ventricular contractions make me feel tired and fatigued all the day. Recently I found the cause. I have high thyroid hormone levels.

Comment from: NP6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

The doctor would never confirm it, but I say stress caused my PVC's. I was exhausted by them. There were days that I would sleep like I was drugged. Finally, the doctor gave me 50mg of Flecinaide twice daily. In a week I noticed a difference in two weeks a huge difference! Don't give up there is help!

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?