Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: jonesey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I hope this helps someone out there to relax who is experiencing the same symptoms. I am 45 and have had premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for years. I went through a tobacco dipping period and this made it worse. I do not intake caffeine much but this seems to make it worse as well. One thing I have not read much of is right before or as I am getting sick the PVCs will worsen. Some nights as I am going to sleep I will get "shocked" out of my sleep. And every time I begin to doze off I get shocked again. This may go on for hours. Then, I have the flutter, pause and pound I call it. They are irritating but can be reduced. So try to relax and take all stressors out of your life and invest 20 to 30 minutes a day to meditate.

Comment from: Musician, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been on a seizure medication for 8 years and I am being weaned off due to temporary psycho neurological seizures and not epilepsy. I think this is the issue causing the premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I recently had a wellness test and came through with flying colors. I am 6", 168 lbs. My blood pressure is an average 120/60. My cholesterol borders to low. I do not drink alcohol, tea, coffee, soda. I rarely eat chocolate and no candy, no junk food or fast food. I have a very healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, greens, fish and very little red meat. I've just recently started having PCVs, 2 episodes lasting off and on for about 20 minutes only after I eat. I feel pressure in my upper chest and neck. I do not physically feel my heart skipping beats unless I"m feeling my pulse. The skipping will be every 3rd beat off and on for about 15 seconds. Another set will be every 5th beat off and on for about 15 seconds. This will randomly repeat for about 20 minutes but only after I eat then I get sleepy and dizzy if I stand up too fast. I hope this helps.

Comment from: flrose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I started getting premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) 35 years ago when I was pregnant and have continued through the years. Now they are getting worse as I am getting older. During the day I seem to cope with the PVCs but at night I cannot fall asleep feeling these heartbeats until I am relaxed enough or exhausted. Medicine does not help. The beta blockers are just slowing my heart rate down to the 50 to 55 beats a minute. I wore a heart monitor for 14 days recently so waiting to hear the results. I hope an ablation will help or maybe a pacemaker.

Comment from: ragdoll, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I lost my only son in May of this past year. I was depressed of course and have sobbed a lot. Then I developed this fluttering sensation in my chest and stomach pit. I am 77 years old and am wondering if the stress of this has brought this on. First I thought it was indigestion, until I wore a heart monitor for 48 hours and they called today to tell me it was premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I"ve never heard of it before. I am a little overweight. I am wondering if weight loss would ease the situation.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a pacemaker implanted at 39 (heart block). Now at 65, 3 months ago (January 2014) I was getting faint and totally exhausted at gym. It continued almost daily, halter monitor showed premature ventricular contractions (PVC). The electro physiologist has me on verapamil 120mg which so far hasn"t helped. I gave up coffee and have 1 glass of wine in evening. I believe the coffee and 3 drinks of alcohol or more per day caused the onslaught of PVCs. If the PVCs don"t get any better I will consider ablation.

Comment from: patjak, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have occasions, sometimes often, when I am breathless, dizzy, and a bit faint. It happens mostly after sitting a while in a car. I have to hold on to something until the feeling passes. These do not last but a few seconds. My heart doctor said I have PVC (premature ventricular contractions) which are not dangerous. I do have a pronounced heart murmur.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?