Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: mjohnson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am happy to have found this forum. Helpful to see that I'm not the only one dealing with premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I suspect that I have been experiencing PVCs for about 35 years now. When I was in my 20s and would get routine check-ups, my doctor would say, 'you know, you have a skipped beat,' and I would say 'okay' because I didn't notice it. I was very fit (up to 20 hours a week or more of tennis and dancing). However, thinking back, I used to get a sensation in the area behind the xiphoid process bone in the front rib cage, more so when I was fatigued or sleepy. Now I know what that sensation is. A year and a half ago I went through a 2 week period where I was experiencing very irregular heartbeats, fluttering, you name it. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was given the news that I was experiencing atrial fibrillation (A-Fib). I was placed on medication to control the A-Fib. Fast forward a year and I'm having a rough bout with skipped beats, but nothing erratic. My doctor says to go to the ER, and they pick up on the PVCs, which they tell me is different from A-Fib. The A-Fib is controlled but the PVCs persist. I did the whole nuclear stress test thing a couple of months ago and was told that while I may be symptomatic, that there was no structural damage found to my heart. However, these PVCs can be both annoying and worrisome. I am now embarking on independent homework, and this was a good place to start.

Comment from: JP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) since I was a child but wasn't diagnosed until my early 20s. I am now in my 40s and while 20 mg beta blockers twice a day helped the past 10 years, they seem to be getting worse. The PVCs happen most when I am resting. I have had extensive tests done and told my heart is healthy, but it is frightening. Sometimes my heart does the pause, then a strong beat a few times, sometimes it feels like a flutter or quiver. It is very unpredictable for me though I steer away from caffeine, no alcohol, or smoking. Not sure what else to do.

Comment from: jonesey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I hope this helps someone out there to relax who is experiencing the same symptoms. I am 45 and have had premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for years. I went through a tobacco dipping period and this made it worse. I do not intake caffeine much but this seems to make it worse as well. One thing I have not read much of is right before or as I am getting sick the PVCs will worsen. Some nights as I am going to sleep I will get "shocked" out of my sleep. And every time I begin to doze off I get shocked again. This may go on for hours. Then, I have the flutter, pause and pound I call it. They are irritating but can be reduced. So try to relax and take all stressors out of your life and invest 20 to 30 minutes a day to meditate.

Comment from: Musician, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been on a seizure medication for 8 years and I am being weaned off due to temporary psycho neurological seizures and not epilepsy. I think this is the issue causing the premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I recently had a wellness test and came through with flying colors. I am 6", 168 lbs. My blood pressure is an average 120/60. My cholesterol borders to low. I do not drink alcohol, tea, coffee, soda. I rarely eat chocolate and no candy, no junk food or fast food. I have a very healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, greens, fish and very little red meat. I've just recently started having PCVs, 2 episodes lasting off and on for about 20 minutes only after I eat. I feel pressure in my upper chest and neck. I do not physically feel my heart skipping beats unless I"m feeling my pulse. The skipping will be every 3rd beat off and on for about 15 seconds. Another set will be every 5th beat off and on for about 15 seconds. This will randomly repeat for about 20 minutes but only after I eat then I get sleepy and dizzy if I stand up too fast. I hope this helps.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?