Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: ragdoll, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I lost my only son in May of this past year. I was depressed of course and have sobbed a lot. Then I developed this fluttering sensation in my chest and stomach pit. I am 77 years old and am wondering if the stress of this has brought this on. First I thought it was indigestion, until I wore a heart monitor for 48 hours and they called today to tell me it was premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I"ve never heard of it before. I am a little overweight. I am wondering if weight loss would ease the situation.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a pacemaker implanted at 39 (heart block). Now at 65, 3 months ago (January 2014) I was getting faint and totally exhausted at gym. It continued almost daily, halter monitor showed premature ventricular contractions (PVC). The electro physiologist has me on verapamil 120mg which so far hasn"t helped. I gave up coffee and have 1 glass of wine in evening. I believe the coffee and 3 drinks of alcohol or more per day caused the onslaught of PVCs. If the PVCs don"t get any better I will consider ablation.

Comment from: patjak, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have occasions, sometimes often, when I am breathless, dizzy, and a bit faint. It happens mostly after sitting a while in a car. I have to hold on to something until the feeling passes. These do not last but a few seconds. My heart doctor said I have PVC (premature ventricular contractions) which are not dangerous. I do have a pronounced heart murmur.

Comment from: StuartB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have experienced what I know now to be PVCs since around the age of 15. I am now approaching 53. These have never affected me even during extreme physical exercise (I was once near Olympic selection in pentathlon). I even experienced one during the Bruce Protocol when I tried to attain the maximum speed on the maximum incline at age 46. Recently, during stressful periods at work, I can go for two or three weeks experiencing PVCs at a frequency of 2 per minute. My escape involves vigorous exercise or de-stressing by not going to work or both. My PVCs have once caused sleep time syncope. Now I know what stresses me and what to avoid I feel a little more in control but never escape them entirely.

Comment from: H2o13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) began 45 years ago when I was only 12. It would never happen while the doctor was listening to my heart so he told my parents I was imagining it. I learned to live with it. What a relief it was years later when a Holter monitor test finally proved I wasn't imagining it. I was put on a beta-blocker, 25 mg per day, which controlled them for over 20 years. About 6 months ago, they returned with a vengeance and my doctor increased the dosage to 100 mg per day. I also cut out all caffeine. That wiped them out again until about 3 weeks ago. Other tests and my cardiologist assure me my heart is healthy and that I shouldn't worry. I've noticed that they get much worse if my stomach is very full or if I'm bending over for an extended period of time, i.e., cleaning the bathtub. They're also aggravated by cold medicine. It helps to know many others have dealt with this for many years and are still alive. That's the fear, and feeling like you're about to die when the PVCs hit. I've learned to stay calm when it happens. Being afraid makes them worse for me. There's no arguing that PVCs are very frightening and it can be hard to stay calm, but if you can do so, it does help.

Comment from: Brooklyn, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

I am a 68 year old female and I have had PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) for many years. I just noticed that I am getting them more frequently after I eat.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?