Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: JP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) since I was a child but wasn't diagnosed until my early 20s. I am now in my 40s and while 20 mg beta blockers twice a day helped the past 10 years, they seem to be getting worse. The PVCs happen most when I am resting. I have had extensive tests done and told my heart is healthy, but it is frightening. Sometimes my heart does the pause, then a strong beat a few times, sometimes it feels like a flutter or quiver. It is very unpredictable for me though I steer away from caffeine, no alcohol, or smoking. Not sure what else to do.

Comment from: jonesey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I hope this helps someone out there to relax who is experiencing the same symptoms. I am 45 and have had premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for years. I went through a tobacco dipping period and this made it worse. I do not intake caffeine much but this seems to make it worse as well. One thing I have not read much of is right before or as I am getting sick the PVCs will worsen. Some nights as I am going to sleep I will get "shocked" out of my sleep. And every time I begin to doze off I get shocked again. This may go on for hours. Then, I have the flutter, pause and pound I call it. They are irritating but can be reduced. So try to relax and take all stressors out of your life and invest 20 to 30 minutes a day to meditate.

Comment from: Musician, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been on a seizure medication for 8 years and I am being weaned off due to temporary psycho neurological seizures and not epilepsy. I think this is the issue causing the premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I recently had a wellness test and came through with flying colors. I am 6", 168 lbs. My blood pressure is an average 120/60. My cholesterol borders to low. I do not drink alcohol, tea, coffee, soda. I rarely eat chocolate and no candy, no junk food or fast food. I have a very healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, greens, fish and very little red meat. I've just recently started having PCVs, 2 episodes lasting off and on for about 20 minutes only after I eat. I feel pressure in my upper chest and neck. I do not physically feel my heart skipping beats unless I"m feeling my pulse. The skipping will be every 3rd beat off and on for about 15 seconds. Another set will be every 5th beat off and on for about 15 seconds. This will randomly repeat for about 20 minutes but only after I eat then I get sleepy and dizzy if I stand up too fast. I hope this helps.

Comment from: flrose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I started getting premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) 35 years ago when I was pregnant and have continued through the years. Now they are getting worse as I am getting older. During the day I seem to cope with the PVCs but at night I cannot fall asleep feeling these heartbeats until I am relaxed enough or exhausted. Medicine does not help. The beta blockers are just slowing my heart rate down to the 50 to 55 beats a minute. I wore a heart monitor for 14 days recently so waiting to hear the results. I hope an ablation will help or maybe a pacemaker.

Comment from: ragdoll, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I lost my only son in May of this past year. I was depressed of course and have sobbed a lot. Then I developed this fluttering sensation in my chest and stomach pit. I am 77 years old and am wondering if the stress of this has brought this on. First I thought it was indigestion, until I wore a heart monitor for 48 hours and they called today to tell me it was premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I"ve never heard of it before. I am a little overweight. I am wondering if weight loss would ease the situation.

Comment from: drsarra, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I had dizziness and headache. Premature ventricular contractions (PVC) were discovered by ECG. I can have no caffeine tobacco or alcohol.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?