Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: luvmylabs, Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My PVCs seem to come out of nowhere, and I feel an abnormal rhythm in my chest. It feels as though there is a skipped beat, and then the next beat is VERY hard. They are extremely bothersome sometimes and can wake me from sleep.

Comment from: KM in FL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am a 31-year-old female and have experienced PVCs since I was 20 years old. When it first started happening, I was in college full-time, working 25 to 30 hours a week and living on Pepsi and chocolate! The doctor suggested I cut out the caffeine and chocolate, and that seemed to help for several years. I did notice them more often during my three pregnancies in my mid -to-late 20s. After my first baby was born, I returned to the doctor because they were happening a lot, and I was afraid I was dying. I had an EKG, but of course it didn't happen while I was on the monitor. The doctor said it was probably due to the stress of being a new mother. Lately, I seem to go through spurts where they are really bad (several a minute, especially at night), and then I go through a few weeks where I hardly notice them. Like others have said, they act up less when I am more active. I've been trying to exercise more to counteract them. I don't drink sodas, but I do enjoy hot tea, and I cannot give up chocolate or red wine! The past few nights have been especially restless for me and it gets even worse when my mind starts thinking about all of the things that could possibly be wrong. My current doctor assures me they are harmless, and my blood pressure is normal and cholesterol level is within the normal range. My mom has a mitral valve prolapse and she thinks I may have one too. Anyway, I wish there were some magic cure to get rid of them.

Comment from: Sherrielynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

My PVCs only happens after a lot of exercise or after a large meal. I feel two different types. Sometimes my heat flutters, but when I cough, it stops and goes back to normal but I feel very weak afterward. Then sometimes, it's one great big beat after it feels as if my heart pauses and then it starts to beat normally again. Both times I feel very weak and sick afterward, and I can hear my pulse beating in my ears constantly.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm a 26-year-old female, and I began having PVCs about two years ago. They have only increased in frequency since then, but my doctor keeps telling me it's nothing to worry about. I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I hardly drink caffeine, and I exercise regularly. I don't take any medications. I just wonder where they came from. I did the 24-hour Holter monitor as well. But the cardiologist wasn't concerned. When they occur, it's always when I'm at rest, not exercising, as working out makes them go away. My blood pressure has always been on the lower end of normal. I have multiple PVCs in a row. I'm talking like eight to 10 sometimes, and I can feel my heartbeat literally move my chest. It's very disturbing to me, but no one else is concerned about it!

Comment from: Kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am 23 years old and my first experience with PVCs was about two years ago. I was pregnant with my daughter, and I was walking through Wal-Mart. I felt the urge to cough, but no headaches followed. I believe that mine was caused by caffeine; however, I have chocolate from time to time without any PVCs. They come and go, and yes, they are scary. As a result, I have anxiety because of them, thinking that I may have a heart attack. I have heard many stories of people growing out of them and many stories of people whose symptoms get worse. Everyone has their unique way of how they feel. Just trust in your doctors. They will tell you what is right. They have been studying this for years. Eat right and exercise more. It definitely reduces the beats.

Comment from: Candluv, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I thought I was crazy. I too get PVC attacks, and they are very scary. I too had all the tests, EKGs, ultrasounds, stress tests, etc. The doctors can't find anything wrong with me. My blood is good. I do have high blood pressure, but there is really no reason to have high blood pressure. But the problem is, I now experience angina attacks, weakness, and dizzy spells, and I run for the aspirin. What is going to happen when I get older? I have been having PVCs since I was 14 years old, and I'm now 42 and things seem to be getting worse.

Comment from: 5621, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I have experienced premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) off and on for about five years. In the last three months however, they have been constant and more noticeable. I have had many tests (stress test; stress echo with dye; angioplasty), and they have all been negative. I have sleep study being performed next week. I tried Toprol, but the side effects were too difficult to handle. Exercise seems to override the PVCs for a time.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?