Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: 5621, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I have experienced premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) off and on for about five years. In the last three months however, they have been constant and more noticeable. I have had many tests (stress test; stress echo with dye; angioplasty), and they have all been negative. I have sleep study being performed next week. I tried Toprol, but the side effects were too difficult to handle. Exercise seems to override the PVCs for a time.

Comment from: Eric, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I'm a 37-year-old male who has been experiencing premature ventricular contractions several times a minute. I also get migraines, I belch a lot, and I have heartburn. I have skipped beats when I am resting and normal-to -increased beats with exercise. I've got to get to the doctor for a more detailed exam. I exercise frequently and have no other significant health issues besides this. Looks like it's time to cut out coffee (ouch!) and beer (lesser ouch) and get checked out.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

In December of 1995, I was coming home from a day on the job and suddenly I had chest pain. I was only 26 years old. I didn't know what was happening to me, so I pulled off the highway. I felt my heart beating “wrong.” I'd never felt that before, so I hit my chest very hard and then my heart started to beat normal, so I called 911. I was in the hospital for three days. They couldn't find anything wrong, but ever since then I get premature ventricular contractions two or three times a day.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

I am 48 years old and every year when I begin training for the annual triathlon I begin experiencing premature ventricular contractions. These occur during rest periods, particularly after heavy training routines. Often taking two to three days rest will help alleviate these symptoms. Proper re-hydration and nutrition seems to be key in diminishing the frequency of these episodes.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had PVCs for about 15 years. (I am now 48.) They go away with exercise and return on resting phases. Emotional stress and coffee seem to increase the frequency. I suffer from migraines as well. Wine and stress seem to be triggers too. I can go long periods without any PVCs if coffee and stress aren't there. I have had echocardiograms, EKGs, cholesterol tests, advanced cardiac disease screens, and they all say the heart is healthy. The cardiologist says many healthy people have them. Getting them checked out can rule out any PVCs that are risky.

Comment from: CBear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I'm a 50-year-old woman who just recently started feeling my chest pounding throughout the day. I was diagnosed with frequent PVCs, over 1600 during the course of the 24-hour Holter monitor. The chest flutters are followed by a slight queasy feeling in the stomach, and is very worrisome. I am now reading up on the effects of Inderal to determine if I really want to go on medication; and I'll be seeing a second cardiologist to rule out any serious damage to my heart. Some doctors are just too complacent when it comes to women and the heart.

Comment from: Robert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

You are not alone. I am a 35 year old man with slightly elevated blood pressure but otherwise healthy. I started having PVCs about a year ago and they have grown progressively worse. I can not seem to find a definite correlation between frequency of PVCs and physical activity. The only thing I can say is that the combination of bisoprolol for my BP and prilosec for heartburn seems to aggravate things. I have quit caffeine and alcohol, but didn't seem to help much. When a PVC hits, it is terrifying. I feel like I have had the wind knocked out of me for a second or two (I can exhale, but cannot physically inhale). I too get the urge to cough afterward and experience an extremely heavy compensatory beat. Often I will also belch. I've had the standard battery of tests EKG, stress tests, 24 hour halter monitor, sleep studies, all seem to be normal with the exception of the PVCs. Docs keep telling me that they are not dangerous, but it is still terrifying to me and I always wonder if this time will be the time my heart doesn't start up again. The most terrifying of all is when I get several PVCs in a row. The Heart takes several seconds to get back into rhythm.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?