Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm a 26-year-old female, and I began having PVCs about two years ago. They have only increased in frequency since then, but my doctor keeps telling me it's nothing to worry about. I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I hardly drink caffeine, and I exercise regularly. I don't take any medications. I just wonder where they came from. I did the 24-hour Holter monitor as well. But the cardiologist wasn't concerned. When they occur, it's always when I'm at rest, not exercising, as working out makes them go away. My blood pressure has always been on the lower end of normal. I have multiple PVCs in a row. I'm talking like eight to 10 sometimes, and I can feel my heartbeat literally move my chest. It's very disturbing to me, but no one else is concerned about it!

Comment from: Kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am 23 years old and my first experience with PVCs was about two years ago. I was pregnant with my daughter, and I was walking through Wal-Mart. I felt the urge to cough, but no headaches followed. I believe that mine was caused by caffeine; however, I have chocolate from time to time without any PVCs. They come and go, and yes, they are scary. As a result, I have anxiety because of them, thinking that I may have a heart attack. I have heard many stories of people growing out of them and many stories of people whose symptoms get worse. Everyone has their unique way of how they feel. Just trust in your doctors. They will tell you what is right. They have been studying this for years. Eat right and exercise more. It definitely reduces the beats.

Comment from: Candluv, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I thought I was crazy. I too get PVC attacks, and they are very scary. I too had all the tests, EKGs, ultrasounds, stress tests, etc. The doctors can't find anything wrong with me. My blood is good. I do have high blood pressure, but there is really no reason to have high blood pressure. But the problem is, I now experience angina attacks, weakness, and dizzy spells, and I run for the aspirin. What is going to happen when I get older? I have been having PVCs since I was 14 years old, and I'm now 42 and things seem to be getting worse.

Comment from: 5621, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I have experienced premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) off and on for about five years. In the last three months however, they have been constant and more noticeable. I have had many tests (stress test; stress echo with dye; angioplasty), and they have all been negative. I have sleep study being performed next week. I tried Toprol, but the side effects were too difficult to handle. Exercise seems to override the PVCs for a time.

Comment from: Eric, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I'm a 37-year-old male who has been experiencing premature ventricular contractions several times a minute. I also get migraines, I belch a lot, and I have heartburn. I have skipped beats when I am resting and normal-to -increased beats with exercise. I've got to get to the doctor for a more detailed exam. I exercise frequently and have no other significant health issues besides this. Looks like it's time to cut out coffee (ouch!) and beer (lesser ouch) and get checked out.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

In December of 1995, I was coming home from a day on the job and suddenly I had chest pain. I was only 26 years old. I didn't know what was happening to me, so I pulled off the highway. I felt my heart beating “wrong.” I'd never felt that before, so I hit my chest very hard and then my heart started to beat normal, so I called 911. I was in the hospital for three days. They couldn't find anything wrong, but ever since then I get premature ventricular contractions two or three times a day.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

I am 48 years old and every year when I begin training for the annual triathlon I begin experiencing premature ventricular contractions. These occur during rest periods, particularly after heavy training routines. Often taking two to three days rest will help alleviate these symptoms. Proper re-hydration and nutrition seems to be key in diminishing the frequency of these episodes.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?