Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: Scottmphoto, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I started getting PVCs for no apparent reason about six weeks ago. I went to the ER with mild chest pain and lightheadedness. They tested me with a Holter monitor, as well as a chest X-ray, ultrasounds and EKGs. Positive PVCs are present. I am a very healthy male – drink one cup of coffee a day, am a social drinker, and do not take drugs or smoke. I'm also a runner and am athletic. Right now, I'm waiting for a cardio appointment to determine further treatment.

Comment from: Tiffany42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have been going crazy all week because I am really scared. The first time I experienced PVCs was in Bosnia while in the military. I was put in the hospital because I thought I was going to have a heart attack. The EKG showed the PVCs but it was nothing major as far as the doctor was concerned. I was drinking A LOT of lemon tea, and he suggested I stop. I am allergic to acidic foods. I did and the PVCs went away but not completely. I would get them about once a month after that, until now when I seem to literally get them all day. I exercise every day and I am healthy, but I'm afraid that I may have heart failure.

Comment from: Dallas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have had PVCs for as long as I can remember (early childhood). As I grew older, they got worse and my heart would start racing. Coughing usually would get my heart to slow back down. It got worse when I was pregnant with my daughter and had to start taking a beta blocker to try and control the arrhythmia. It eventually got to the point where the beta blocker wasn't helping, and I would end up in the ER getting multiple doses of adenosine to slow my heart back down. Last September, I had what's called a catheter ablation done on my heart. They find the node in your heart that is causing the misfire, so to speak, and they either freeze or burn a section so that it leaves a scar and cannot conduct electricity. I have not had anymore episodes of it. I'm not afraid of where I might be when it happens and such. I still have the skipped heart beats. But that is going to be normal.

Comment from: luvmylabs, Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My PVCs seem to come out of nowhere, and I feel an abnormal rhythm in my chest. It feels as though there is a skipped beat, and then the next beat is VERY hard. They are extremely bothersome sometimes and can wake me from sleep.

Comment from: KM in FL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am a 31-year-old female and have experienced PVCs since I was 20 years old. When it first started happening, I was in college full-time, working 25 to 30 hours a week and living on Pepsi and chocolate! The doctor suggested I cut out the caffeine and chocolate, and that seemed to help for several years. I did notice them more often during my three pregnancies in my mid -to-late 20s. After my first baby was born, I returned to the doctor because they were happening a lot, and I was afraid I was dying. I had an EKG, but of course it didn't happen while I was on the monitor. The doctor said it was probably due to the stress of being a new mother. Lately, I seem to go through spurts where they are really bad (several a minute, especially at night), and then I go through a few weeks where I hardly notice them. Like others have said, they act up less when I am more active. I've been trying to exercise more to counteract them. I don't drink sodas, but I do enjoy hot tea, and I cannot give up chocolate or red wine! The past few nights have been especially restless for me and it gets even worse when my mind starts thinking about all of the things that could possibly be wrong. My current doctor assures me they are harmless, and my blood pressure is normal and cholesterol level is within the normal range. My mom has a mitral valve prolapse and she thinks I may have one too. Anyway, I wish there were some magic cure to get rid of them.

Comment from: Sherrielynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

My PVCs only happens after a lot of exercise or after a large meal. I feel two different types. Sometimes my heat flutters, but when I cough, it stops and goes back to normal but I feel very weak afterward. Then sometimes, it's one great big beat after it feels as if my heart pauses and then it starts to beat normally again. Both times I feel very weak and sick afterward, and I can hear my pulse beating in my ears constantly.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?