Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Published: July 30

I have recently been diagnosed with PMC. I have no heart disease or high blood pressure, however knowing that does not take away my anxiety related to this condition. I have found that sitting and laying exacerbate the PMC and exercising decreases PMC. I have on average about 15 per minute and get a headache after a while and a tickle feeling that makes me want to cough, can others share their experiences please so I don't feel so alone in dealing with this.

Comment from: shahid, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 14

For the last six months I have experienced PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), missing beat after regular intervals 3, 5, 7, 14 etc. I have slightly more blood pressure (130-90) and my Echo and other tests are clear. Sometimes I experience it normal also.

Comment from: trukmek, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I get premature ventricular contractions a lot when I'm working in the heat or when I push myself too hard. I have cardiomyopathy, though, so this is all normal. They cause me to feel lightheaded, short of breath and very tired (like I need a nap).

Comment from: BrielleNJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I was going through a very stressful divorce and started feeling like I was missing heart beats and felt the urge to cough to "restart" the beat. I was given a 24 halter monitor test and it revealed PVCs. Doctor said it was benign, put me on beta blockers and sent me on my way. My mom had mitral valve prolapse with palpitations her whole life and wound up with a heart attack and pace maker at 73. I gave up caffeine and alcohol but now am going through a lot of life stress again with family illness and finances and the PVCs started again. I am being treated by a Gen Practitioner and wonder if I should go to a cardiologist instead for management.

Comment from: Scottmphoto, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I started getting PVCs for no apparent reason about six weeks ago. I went to the ER with mild chest pain and lightheadedness. They tested me with a Holter monitor, as well as a chest X-ray, ultrasounds and EKGs. Positive PVCs are present. I am a very healthy male – drink one cup of coffee a day, am a social drinker, and do not take drugs or smoke. I'm also a runner and am athletic. Right now, I'm waiting for a cardio appointment to determine further treatment.

Comment from: Tiffany42, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have been going crazy all week because I am really scared. The first time I experienced PVCs was in Bosnia while in the military. I was put in the hospital because I thought I was going to have a heart attack. The EKG showed the PVCs but it was nothing major as far as the doctor was concerned. I was drinking A LOT of lemon tea, and he suggested I stop. I am allergic to acidic foods. I did and the PVCs went away but not completely. I would get them about once a month after that, until now when I seem to literally get them all day. I exercise every day and I am healthy, but I'm afraid that I may have heart failure.

Comment from: Dallas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have had PVCs for as long as I can remember (early childhood). As I grew older, they got worse and my heart would start racing. Coughing usually would get my heart to slow back down. It got worse when I was pregnant with my daughter and had to start taking a beta blocker to try and control the arrhythmia. It eventually got to the point where the beta blocker wasn't helping, and I would end up in the ER getting multiple doses of adenosine to slow my heart back down. Last September, I had what's called a catheter ablation done on my heart. They find the node in your heart that is causing the misfire, so to speak, and they either freeze or burn a section so that it leaves a scar and cannot conduct electricity. I have not had anymore episodes of it. I'm not afraid of where I might be when it happens and such. I still have the skipped heart beats. But that is going to be normal.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?