Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Published: August 01

In response to the comment made on July 30th. I too experience everything you listed. Exercise decreases the frequency of the palpitations and rest increases it. I also get the urge to cough at times and will sometimes get a headache or migraine as a result. You are not alone. I am a 32 year old, healthy adult who works in the fitness industry, no history of high blood pressure or heart disease. It seems to come and go most of the time, but when it is active it keeps me awake and interferes with my day to day activities.

Published: July 30

I have recently been diagnosed with PMC. I have no heart disease or high blood pressure, however knowing that does not take away my anxiety related to this condition. I have found that sitting and laying exacerbate the PMC and exercising decreases PMC. I have on average about 15 per minute and get a headache after a while and a tickle feeling that makes me want to cough, can others share their experiences please so I don't feel so alone in dealing with this.

Comment from: Brooklyn, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

I am a 68 year old female and I have had PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) for many years. I just noticed that I am getting them more frequently after I eat.

Comment from: Brownie Lover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I'm a 48 year old female who started having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) in the last 6 weeks. I had the Holter monitor, stress test, x-ray and EKG. Nothing showed up. Then I had an appointment with a cardiologist. Actually I had a really good episode in their office! Caught it all on the EKG. They said dehydration was a big part of it. I've been drinking more, but I notice that stress is a huge factor. It's been getting better since I've been drinking more water. But a stressful event will certainly jump start it!

Comment from: shahid, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 14

For the last six months I have experienced PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), missing beat after regular intervals 3, 5, 7, 14 etc. I have slightly more blood pressure (130-90) and my Echo and other tests are clear. Sometimes I experience it normal also.

Comment from: trukmek, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I get premature ventricular contractions a lot when I'm working in the heat or when I push myself too hard. I have cardiomyopathy, though, so this is all normal. They cause me to feel lightheaded, short of breath and very tired (like I need a nap).

Comment from: BrielleNJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I was going through a very stressful divorce and started feeling like I was missing heart beats and felt the urge to cough to "restart" the beat. I was given a 24 halter monitor test and it revealed PVCs. Doctor said it was benign, put me on beta blockers and sent me on my way. My mom had mitral valve prolapse with palpitations her whole life and wound up with a heart attack and pace maker at 73. I gave up caffeine and alcohol but now am going through a lot of life stress again with family illness and finances and the PVCs started again. I am being treated by a Gen Practitioner and wonder if I should go to a cardiologist instead for management.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?