Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Comment from: jimmy p, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I have premature ventricular contractions (PVC), and it is very depressing, and causes a lot of anxiety. About three months ago, I started to take standard process vitamin B complex. I had PVC for 40 years and now it is 70 to 95 percent better. Thank goodness I found something that worked for me. My Wife found it, and said to try it. I hope this will help someone with the same problems. Thanks much.

Comment from: Jenny in Tucson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 70 years old, and have had premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for many years. I have a stent. A couple of months ago, I went for my physical and my heart rate was 36. The firemen took me to the emergency room and all resolved after 5 hours and they sent me home. I saw my cardiologist and wore a heart monitor for 24 hours and my PVCs were 24,000 in a 24 hour period. I was placed on a beta blocker at the very lowest dose. It is interesting someone noted loratadine (allergy medication) may increase these, and I do take one every day. My blood pressure is 107/58, I walk the dogs all the time, and am generally in good health. My pulse still goes down in the 30s and I do experience mild headaches lately. I'll see if the beta blocker helps in a month.

Comment from: volcano69, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

My premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) caused a blood clot to go through my heart at 32 (doctor said I was lucky to have a strong heart). At 40 my blood pressure dropped and my beats per minute (bpm) went to 26. I went to the doctor and he put nitroglycerin under my tongue and called an ambulance; I stayed 3 days in hospital, nothing was found. At 60 I was once again in hospital with angina, and severe lump in throat, bpm were 52, but no artery disease. I am to wait and told if the beats per minute decrease, to go to hospital.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a pacemaker implanted at 39 (heart block). Now at 65, 3 months ago (January 2014) I was getting faint and totally exhausted at gym. It continued almost daily, halter monitor showed premature ventricular contractions (PVC). The electro physiologist has me on verapamil 120mg which so far hasn"t helped. I gave up coffee and have 1 glass of wine in evening. I believe the coffee and 3 drinks of alcohol or more per day caused the onslaught of PVCs. If the PVCs don"t get any better I will consider ablation.

Comment from: patjak, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have occasions, sometimes often, when I am breathless, dizzy, and a bit faint. It happens mostly after sitting a while in a car. I have to hold on to something until the feeling passes. These do not last but a few seconds. My heart doctor said I have PVC (premature ventricular contractions) which are not dangerous. I do have a pronounced heart murmur.

Comment from: StuartB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have experienced what I know now to be PVCs since around the age of 15. I am now approaching 53. These have never affected me even during extreme physical exercise (I was once near Olympic selection in pentathlon). I even experienced one during the Bruce Protocol when I tried to attain the maximum speed on the maximum incline at age 46. Recently, during stressful periods at work, I can go for two or three weeks experiencing PVCs at a frequency of 2 per minute. My escape involves vigorous exercise or de-stressing by not going to work or both. My PVCs have once caused sleep time syncope. Now I know what stresses me and what to avoid I feel a little more in control but never escape them entirely.

Comment from: H2o13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) began 45 years ago when I was only 12. It would never happen while the doctor was listening to my heart so he told my parents I was imagining it. I learned to live with it. What a relief it was years later when a Holter monitor test finally proved I wasn't imagining it. I was put on a beta-blocker, 25 mg per day, which controlled them for over 20 years. About 6 months ago, they returned with a vengeance and my doctor increased the dosage to 100 mg per day. I also cut out all caffeine. That wiped them out again until about 3 weeks ago. Other tests and my cardiologist assure me my heart is healthy and that I shouldn't worry. I've noticed that they get much worse if my stomach is very full or if I'm bending over for an extended period of time, i.e., cleaning the bathtub. They're also aggravated by cold medicine. It helps to know many others have dealt with this for many years and are still alive. That's the fear, and feeling like you're about to die when the PVCs hit. I've learned to stay calm when it happens. Being afraid makes them worse for me. There's no arguing that PVCs are very frightening and it can be hard to stay calm, but if you can do so, it does help.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?