Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment

What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?

Comment from: Ccbeme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

When my PVCs are really bothersome, it's often due to dehydration. I find that drinking plenty of water, drinking a fruit smoothie, and taking a multivitamin really help. My cardiologist has always encouraged me to stay active, and I do, though I need to watch out for dehydration. He did prescribe a beta blocker, but I find that taking in lots of non-caffeinated fluids and getting enough potassium in my diet helps even more.

Comment from: jabara77, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) since 35 years ago due to stress when I was a student at college of engineering. At that time my cardiologist saw my heart was healthy and sent me to a psychiatrist. I use Ativan and see it stops PVCs but I still have palpitation, now I use citalopram but I have PVCs within controlled limit.

Comment from: jabara77, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I use citalopram 30 mg and Librax 5 mg daily to control my premature ventricular contractions (PVCs).

Comment from: sylvia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had the worst problem with PVC when I was taking ibuprofen too much, perhaps two per day. I now only take about one per week. I was not only having them when I laid down in bed at night, I was having them whenever at rest, for example, sitting in my armchair watching television. I only have them now when I have caffeinated tea or wine too close to bedtime. It feels like adrenaline, and the only thing I can do is just wait for it to run its course.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I suddenly started having PVCs and went to the ER. The doctor told me my labs were fine, nothing to worry about. My regular doctor said that labs were fine; put me on a beta-blocker, Toprol. I was to increase the dose up to 50 mg twice daily and it seemed to help, but not always. Lower blood pressure seemed to make the PVCs less noticeable, that's all. Went to a cardiologist and he said that even though labs were normal, he would like to see the potassium and magnesium higher. So, I started eating better and taking OTC potassium and magnesium, weaned off the beta blocker, and I'm doing much better. I make a fruit smoothie every day with banana, orange, etc, and it helps. Cantaloupe helps too. Maybe as we get older, we just don't metabolize food the same?

Comment from: ralph, 65-74 Male Published: August 06

I am a retired critical care nurse. My pvc's and occasional couplings were caused by a stress situation while working. I had trigeminy after this stress event and was thoroughly checked out by a friend who was a well known cardiologist. The trigeminy never returned. I do not have any heart disease or problems, but i have had pvc's with occasional coupling for 28 years. They are asymptomatic. I exercise, workout, and walk 1-2 miles a day. My pvc's have slowed down considerably. I lost weight, started drinking decaffeinated coffee, and only have 1 drink/day. I avoid arguments and stressful situations. Some days i have no pvc's. The one thing that made the most difference for me was no caffeine of any kind-coffee/soda/chocolate. If i try to drink caffeinated coffee just 1 morning, i have pvc's for 2 days afterwards. I hope this helps someone.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience Question: Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.