Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience

Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: philatelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I first discovered I was having PVCs after experiencing periods of gray outs after exercise. After wearing a Holter monitor, I found that I had ventricular tachycardia of 30+ beats after exercise. I start to black out during those events. I had all the tests and my heart appears normal. I had an echo, an angiogram, an EP (electrophysiology) study and a cardiac MRI; all normal. I am currently taking Cardizem and it has helped, but I still have frequent PVCs but not so many long runs of V tach. My doctors are puzzled and can find no cause. It is still scary to start getting those runs of PVCs and wondering if they are always going to revert back to a normal rhythm. Scary stuff!

Comment from: Tbrad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 32 year old female, not in the best of health, overweight with high blood pressure and a smoker. About 2 months ago I went to the emergency room because my heart would beat so hard it felt like a thud in my chest. This abnormal heartbeat caused me no pain but was very concerning to me especially since heart disease and attacks are high in my family. Upon the doctor's exam he found nothing and sent me home with the diagnosis of caffeine overdose. I went upon my daily routines cutting back the pop and sugar in my diet and also quitting smoking but the palpitations still continued, so I made an appointment with my regular doctor. He took my blood pressure, oxygen level and ECG and diagnosed me with PVC. He seems to think that my irregular heart beat is caused by stress and anxiety so he prescribed me Celexa. I will return to the doctor in 3 to 4 weeks for a checkup.

Comment from: Dmitri, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

PVCs feel like an extra strong heartbeat that kicks in every now and then. It started with very occasional PVCs and now I get them more frequently -- a few times an hour.

Comment from: Oma6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I am 62, female, and I have PVC s. They started when I was 21. I had all of the tests, and the doc prescribed a beta blocker. I used it for five years until it lost its effectiveness. I was told to "just live with it...it won't kill you." Well, it hasn't killed me, but it is not easy to live with. The nature of the palpitations has changed over the years, from feeling every missed beat to passing out from lack of oxygen to almost no symptoms at all.

Comment from: Phil73, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Is there ever a level at which the quantity of PVC's per day can indicate a major problem? My recollection is that my Holter monitor showed over 9,000 PVC's in a 24-hour period some time back. I do have some mitral valve prolapse but it is apparently not significant enough. I suspect that oxygen levels could be a problem because I regularly awake with bloodshot a eye(s). I do have sleep apnea, supposedly minor. I have CAD and a stent was placed in 2000. I have had pneumonia several times and take medication for asthma regularly.

Comment from: Doc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 30

My symptoms appeared quite suddenly and persist off and on. The PVCs may be as infrequent as one per minute or 25 to 40 % of the beats for a short run. A cardiac cath revealed an essentially normal heart. This has continued for 2 ½ weeks. The main symptom is generalized weakness.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?