Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience

Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: jg123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) for over two years, ever since my grandpa died. Some days they will go on all day, and it makes it very difficult to sleep at night. Sometimes I feel as if I'm not getting enough oxygen, I try deep breathing, but I get anxious because I know my heart isn't beating normally, which scares me. They go away with exercise, but as soon as my heart rate begins to go down they start again. I have had multiple monitors, ECGs, EKGs, and even an MRI. The monitors showed moderate PVCs but all other tests came back normal. I'm constantly thinking and worrying about them. I can't imagine living with PVC for the rest of my life, because they are starting to affect my school and work. I am going to see my primary care physician this week and might be trying some anti-anxiety medication. Hopefully that stops the PVC and I can return to my normal life. I notice them mostly when I am stressed out, hungry, or before my period. I hope the PVCs end soon. They are so frustrating.

Comment from: Andy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

This evening, I experienced this overwhelming feeling that felt like something took away my breath away. Gasp, followed by a huge breath. I took my pulse, it began normal, then three fast beats followed by a long pause, and then the heart beat began again. The premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) happened for approximately 1.5 hours. It is settling down now.

Comment from: SandraB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I've been having palpitations since my late 30s. They started following some very stressful situations in my life. When they didn't stop after a few years, I finally found a doctor who listened, did a sonogram and discovered mitral valve prolapse (MVP). Now years later (I am 60), out of nowhere my palpitations have developed to the point of nonstop. After wearing a Holter monitor, having a stress test and another sonogram, this new cardiologist diagnosed me with PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). He said it is normal and nothing to be alarmed at. Sometimes I feel light headed, breathless and just can't stand the constant pounding and feeling of jitters in my chest. By the way, this doctor also said I do not have MVP. I've tried several self-treatments such as cutting out caffeine and I began a regimen of magnesium and taurine. I consider myself to be healthy, average weight (152), 5'3' and do walk daily (1 1/2 miles per day). I am to the point of screaming, crying and pounding my chest to make it stop.

Comment from: philatelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I first discovered I was having PVCs after experiencing periods of gray outs after exercise. After wearing a Holter monitor, I found that I had ventricular tachycardia of 30+ beats after exercise. I start to black out during those events. I had all the tests and my heart appears normal. I had an echo, an angiogram, an EP (electrophysiology) study and a cardiac MRI; all normal. I am currently taking Cardizem and it has helped, but I still have frequent PVCs but not so many long runs of V tach. My doctors are puzzled and can find no cause. It is still scary to start getting those runs of PVCs and wondering if they are always going to revert back to a normal rhythm. Scary stuff!

Comment from: Tbrad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 32 year old female, not in the best of health, overweight with high blood pressure and a smoker. About 2 months ago I went to the emergency room because my heart would beat so hard it felt like a thud in my chest. This abnormal heartbeat caused me no pain but was very concerning to me especially since heart disease and attacks are high in my family. Upon the doctor's exam he found nothing and sent me home with the diagnosis of caffeine overdose. I went upon my daily routines cutting back the pop and sugar in my diet and also quitting smoking but the palpitations still continued, so I made an appointment with my regular doctor. He took my blood pressure, oxygen level and ECG and diagnosed me with PVC. He seems to think that my irregular heart beat is caused by stress and anxiety so he prescribed me Celexa. I will return to the doctor in 3 to 4 weeks for a checkup.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?