Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience

Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: SandraB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I've been having palpitations since my late 30s. They started following some very stressful situations in my life. When they didn't stop after a few years, I finally found a doctor who listened, did a sonogram and discovered mitral valve prolapse (MVP). Now years later (I am 60), out of nowhere my palpitations have developed to the point of nonstop. After wearing a Holter monitor, having a stress test and another sonogram, this new cardiologist diagnosed me with PVCs (premature ventricular contractions). He said it is normal and nothing to be alarmed at. Sometimes I feel light headed, breathless and just can't stand the constant pounding and feeling of jitters in my chest. By the way, this doctor also said I do not have MVP. I've tried several self-treatments such as cutting out caffeine and I began a regimen of magnesium and taurine. I consider myself to be healthy, average weight (152), 5'3' and do walk daily (1 1/2 miles per day). I am to the point of screaming, crying and pounding my chest to make it stop.

Comment from: philatelia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I first discovered I was having PVCs after experiencing periods of gray outs after exercise. After wearing a Holter monitor, I found that I had ventricular tachycardia of 30+ beats after exercise. I start to black out during those events. I had all the tests and my heart appears normal. I had an echo, an angiogram, an EP (electrophysiology) study and a cardiac MRI; all normal. I am currently taking Cardizem and it has helped, but I still have frequent PVCs but not so many long runs of V tach. My doctors are puzzled and can find no cause. It is still scary to start getting those runs of PVCs and wondering if they are always going to revert back to a normal rhythm. Scary stuff!

Comment from: Tbrad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 32 year old female, not in the best of health, overweight with high blood pressure and a smoker. About 2 months ago I went to the emergency room because my heart would beat so hard it felt like a thud in my chest. This abnormal heartbeat caused me no pain but was very concerning to me especially since heart disease and attacks are high in my family. Upon the doctor's exam he found nothing and sent me home with the diagnosis of caffeine overdose. I went upon my daily routines cutting back the pop and sugar in my diet and also quitting smoking but the palpitations still continued, so I made an appointment with my regular doctor. He took my blood pressure, oxygen level and ECG and diagnosed me with PVC. He seems to think that my irregular heart beat is caused by stress and anxiety so he prescribed me Celexa. I will return to the doctor in 3 to 4 weeks for a checkup.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

My PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) feel like a really hard thud in my chest that sometimes causes me to cough. It sometimes feels like a quick squeeze and release of my heart.

Comment from: bigtimomaha, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I started having PVC (premature ventricular contraction) issues the last month or so and have run the gamut of tests EKG, CT, stress test, MRI, and now I find out the heart is also enlarged; right side is working at 30 percent and left at 40 percent and no idea why. I considered myself to be healthy since I walked 5 miles a day or more for 23 years, a mailman, but now this. My cardiologist has given up for now. Some of your posts look and sound like my situation just wish doctors worked a little quicker, seems they like creating more stress.

Comment from: Dmitri, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

PVCs feel like an extra strong heartbeat that kicks in every now and then. It started with very occasional PVCs and now I get them more frequently -- a few times an hour.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?