Patient Comments: Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Experience

Have you ever experienced PVCs? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

My PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) feel like a really hard thud in my chest that sometimes causes me to cough. It sometimes feels like a quick squeeze and release of my heart.

Comment from: bigtimomaha, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I started having PVC (premature ventricular contraction) issues the last month or so and have run the gamut of tests EKG, CT, stress test, MRI, and now I find out the heart is also enlarged; right side is working at 30 percent and left at 40 percent and no idea why. I considered myself to be healthy since I walked 5 miles a day or more for 23 years, a mailman, but now this. My cardiologist has given up for now. Some of your posts look and sound like my situation just wish doctors worked a little quicker, seems they like creating more stress.

Comment from: Dmitri, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

PVCs feel like an extra strong heartbeat that kicks in every now and then. It started with very occasional PVCs and now I get them more frequently -- a few times an hour.

Comment from: Oma6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I am 62, female, and I have PVC s. They started when I was 21. I had all of the tests, and the doc prescribed a beta blocker. I used it for five years until it lost its effectiveness. I was told to "just live with it...it won't kill you." Well, it hasn't killed me, but it is not easy to live with. The nature of the palpitations has changed over the years, from feeling every missed beat to passing out from lack of oxygen to almost no symptoms at all.

Comment from: Phil73, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Is there ever a level at which the quantity of PVC's per day can indicate a major problem? My recollection is that my Holter monitor showed over 9,000 PVC's in a 24-hour period some time back. I do have some mitral valve prolapse but it is apparently not significant enough. I suspect that oxygen levels could be a problem because I regularly awake with bloodshot a eye(s). I do have sleep apnea, supposedly minor. I have CAD and a stent was placed in 2000. I have had pneumonia several times and take medication for asthma regularly.

Comment from: Doc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 30

My symptoms appeared quite suddenly and persist off and on. The PVCs may be as infrequent as one per minute or 25 to 40 % of the beats for a short run. A cardiac cath revealed an essentially normal heart. This has continued for 2 ½ weeks. The main symptom is generalized weakness.

Comment from: jalynmac, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Sometimes my PVCs had different effects appear first. The reason I investigated and discovered what was happening to me is: it would feel like my heart was racing out of my chest, but when I checked my pulse, it was only half of my usual resting rate. I asked a paramedic friend of mine what that could mean, and he had lots of theories, but said I should go see a doctor. The second way I knew that I was having them was that I would get really sleepy and a little lightheaded. My doctor told me that was because the PVCs were limiting oxygen to my body and a lack of oxygen will make you feel sleepy.

Comment from: Happy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I had a mitral valve repair in June of 2010. It showed up on an electrocardiogram and was diagnosed as Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs). I do not have any symptoms.

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Causes Question: What was the cause of your premature ventricular contractions?
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Treatment Question: What treatments or lifestyle changes did you find effective for your PVCs?