- A Visual Guide to PMS Slideshow
- Take the Menopause Quiz
- Pelvic Pain Pictures Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Premature Ovarian Failure - Experience
- Find a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
- What is primary ovarian insufficiency (POI)?
- What are the symptoms of primary ovarian insufficiency?
- How many women are affected by or at risk for primary ovarian insufficiency?
- What causes primary ovarian insufficiency?
- How is primary ovarian insufficiency diagnosed?
- Are there associated disorders or conditions associated with primary ovarian insufficiency?
- What are the treatments for primary ovarian insufficiency?
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Calcium and vitamin D supplements
- Regular physical activity and healthy body weight
- Treatments for associated conditions
- Emotional support
- POI in teens
Calcium and vitamin D supplements
Because women with POI are at higher risk for osteoporosis, they should get at least 1,200 to 1,500 mg of elemental calcium and 1000 IU (international units) of vitamin D, which helps the body absorb calcium, every day.21 These nutrients are important for bone health.14 A health care provider may do a bone mineral density test to check for bone loss.19
Regular physical activity and healthy body weight
Weight-bearing physical activity, such as walking, jogging, and stair climbing, helps build bone strength and prevents osteoporosis.14 Maintaining a healthy body weight and getting regular physical activity are also important for reducing the risk of heart disease. These factors can affect cholesterol levels, which in turn can change the risk for heart disease.22
Treatments for associated conditions
POI is associated with other health conditions, including (but not limited to) Addison's disease, Fragile X permutation, thyroid dysfunction, depression, anxiety, and certain other genetic, metabolic, and autoimmune disorders.
Women who have POI as well as one of these associated conditions will require additional treatment for the associated condition. In some cases, treatment involves medication or hormone therapy. Other types of treatments might also be needed.
For many women who experience infertility, including those with POI, feelings of loss are common. In one study, almost 9 out of 10 women reported feeling moderate to severe emotional distress when they learned of their POI diagnosis.14, 26 Several organizations offer help finding these types of professionals.