Patient Comments: Pain Relief Options for Childbirth - Medications

Describe your experience with IV injections of pain medication during labor and childbirth.

Comment from: ladyluckrogue, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was induced at 40 weeks at about midnight. I slept through the night and early in the morning was given a second dose of medication to induce labor. A few hours later I was dilated to 2 cm and having contractions off the chart. I have a high pain tolerance but I was curled up crying at this point. I was given Demerol and it had no effect whatsoever. A while later the pain was so bad that I was given an epidural. I ended up delivering my son via C-section 4 hours later due to lack of progression of labor. The real reason was that he was simply too large for me to deliver naturally and the doctors never anticipated that. Neither of us had any side effects from any of the medications (aside from me having an allergic reaction to an antibiotic). My son was born at a healthy 9 lbs 2 oz and his APGAR at birth was 9.

Pain Relief Options for Childbirth - Side Effects Question: Did you have any side effects with your anesthesia during labor?
Pain Relief Options for Childbirth - Timing of Anesthesia Question: How far along were you with your labor when you got regional anesthesia?
Pain Relief Options for Childbirth - Epidurals and Spinals Question: Please describe your experience with either an epidural or spinal anesthesia.