- Early Pregnancy Symptoms Slideshow
- Take the Pregnancy Myths and Facts Quiz!
- Stages of Pregnancy Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Pregnancy: Bleeding During the First Trimester - Experience
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Bleeding during pregnancy the first trimester facts
- Is bleeding during pregnancy normal?
- What is implantation bleeding during the first trimester?
- What are the signs and symptoms of implantation bleeding?
- What are other common causes of bleeding during the first trimester?
- What are serious causes of bleeding during the first trimester of pregnancy?
- Molar Pregnancy
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Threatened miscarriage
- Subchorionic hemorrhage
- When should you call your doctor about bleeding during the first trimester?
- How is the cause of bleeding during the first trimester of pregnancy diagnosed?
Quick GuideFetal Development Stages: Month by Month Embryo Pictures
What is implantation bleeding during the first trimester?
A common benign cause of bleeding may occur even before a woman realizes that she is pregnant. Many women bleed when the fertilized egg attaches to the lining of the uterus. This is called implantation bleeding. It frequently occurs when the next menstrual period is expected.
What are the signs and symptoms of implantation bleeding?
Implantation bleeding consists of light bleeding or spotting around the time of the expected menstrual period. This does not happen in every pregnancy.
What are other common causes of bleeding during the first trimester?
- Changes in the cervix: The normal hormone production during pregnancy can cause changes to the cervix, rendering it softer and more prone to bleeding. Also, a cervical polyp (a benign overgrowth of tissue) may form, and this may bleed more easily during pregnancy. In both cases, spotting or light bleeding may be provoked following sexual intercourse or a pelvic examination.
- Infection: A vaginal infection may cause spontaneous vaginal bleeding. The bleeding may be accompanied by an abnormal vaginal discharge.