Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: T. Graham, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

The treatments that have been most effective for me are a Seroquel and alprazolam. I noticed that this site mentioned that it didn"t like benzodiazepines, but they have saved my life. Along with therapy, I am actually stable and coping well; but I"ve moved to an area that doesn"t seem to treat PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) very well at all. It is frightening moving to an area that is so regressive in its treatment methods. I am more than a little concerned about that.

Comment from: Okra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I suffered years of depression and anxiety. I had therapy and medications, did 12 step programs, all of which helped. But the real change came with EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). I was doing well for 8 years. Then the untimely death of a dear friend, a house flood, and work expectations I could not fulfill, took me back into the PTSD with intense depression, anxiety, and difficulty with focus and recall. Medications helped but homeopathy really started the shift back. I went back and did EMDR again. It's brilliant work and I am almost back to normal.

Comment from: witsend, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have been in and out of therapy most of my adult life. I am sober for 24 years and go to AA. I take 20 mg of Celexa daily. I am still severely depressed. I dissociate; I am very angry, I isolate, and can't stand to be around people or at work. I mostly can't stand myself. I feel like a caged tiger. My new therapist suggested to me that I may have PTSD, something that I have never considered or has been suggested to me before. But it seems to be right on, the more research I do. I was neglected as an infant and young child, and suffered abuse by my father throughout my life beginning at age 7. All I know is that everything is getting worse, not ever better, so something has to change. I am hoping that this therapist can help me face my demons, something that has never happened before in therapy, and that I can actually do it, because I am terrified of going there. But if I can't hope that I will ever get better or feel better – have a little ray of sunshine eventually – then what is the point?

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My husband came back from Vietnam with PTSD and was diagnosed with anxiety. What helped him the most was writing and rewriting his experiences (at least five drafts on a typewriter) into a memoir (Chickenhawk). It moved nightmares and intrusive thoughts and memories into his past. It didn't cure the PTSD, but it made life more bearable. A few years ago, he also started on Zoloft, which helped with his depression that I consider a natural result of PTSD's emotional numbing. Refuse your feelings and you will get depressed.

Comment from: katieh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had a psychotic mother who was physically, sexually, and emotionally abusive to me as a very young child. I was placed in an even more abusive orphanage where I began to self-harm and eventually try to kill myself. I also switched into another personality there. I was called "#14," and I switched to "14," who wasn't so afraid of the abuse there. At some point, I began to suffer from PTSD. After 30 years, I was put on Zyprexa. It immediately took just about all my self-harming and suicidal thoughts away. However, I gained 100 pounds. No doctor wanted to take me off it, so I did it myself and finally got stabilized on Seroquel. These are antipsychotics but have been proven helpful in treating PTSD. I have not met anyone else though who has had such a significant improvement to the extent I have. However, it is worth a shot.

Comment from: 1happy1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been diagnosed with PTSD over the past six months from multiple traumas that happened to me before I was 18 years old. I never thought it would have affected me now at 50! I had an "old" man neighbor put his hands down my pants, one of my brothers inappropriately touched me while I was asleep, I was rapped by my high school biology teacher, and a friend's father made passes at me! I had always wanted to get married and have a family, but I seemed to always pick the wrong men. I had been living in the cycle, not knowing what they heck is going on until I left a relationship that meant the world to me. Then my brother passed away, and then all of this came flowing out of me. So, now I am in the process of putting my life back in order. Wow, it is work to love, appreciate, trust, and believe in myself! What has helped me the most is finding a great therapist and facing this head on. I now know that all people aren't as sick as all the men that violated me. Each day I am getting stronger and stronger.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?