Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?

Published: June 16

In January of this year my doctor prescribed a miracle pill for me. Its 10mg Zyprexa. I gained about 30pounds so far and feel fantastic. I love waking up and have no problem going to sleep any longer.

Comment from: kjb0326, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My son has returned from front line fighting in Afghanistan and is acting out of character. He is avoiding his family and not acting responsible. As his mother, how can I be supportive, what can I do to help him realize what he is doing?

Comment from: want to feel better, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

This is a first time for me. I wanted to find out if what I am experiencing could be PTSD. For many years I have had allot of conflict and trauma in my life beginning with my dad who drank allot. Emotional abuse and threatened violence were the norm in my home since I was born until I left at 16. Even then it continued as I grew up. At 16 I married a man for 13 years, he too drug me thru the mud, trying to constantly take kids away. Court battle after battle was the norm. I moved away and began going thru similar thing again. I can only say the abuse I got during the marriage was mild in comparison to what I got when started dragging the kids and I thru court. I sit and just watch TV now, I am withdrawn, scared to feel. Every time my X comes around or sends an email my PTSD comes back. It seems like it lasts for weeks before finally subsiding again. This man has hurt me on many occasions, follows me, and has begun alienating my kids from me. I cannot stand that I feel frightened all the time. I do have good days but few and far between.

Comment from: reina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Facing the fears head on and push past the fear to the light at the end of the tunnel. The light does come therapy helped me a lot. I need more it brings peace to those racing thoughts and also write everything in your head down on paper then rip it up and throw it away. The last thing and the most important to do is read the bible and pray. Seeing how God loves you and who you are heals you and will change you forever.

Comment from: comanderk, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

Zopiclone to sleep and calm the mind gave meaning and positive thought to a tormented mind carbamazepine proved useful but not as effective. No calming effect.

Comment from: L. A. Grimm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have found that talking with family, friends, and your minister at church really help me with my PTSD. Prayer is very helpful, too. Remember that you are an important, loved member of your family and have many great qualities that make you good to be around. Don't let "stinkin' thinkin'" get you down!

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?