Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: freetobeme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have suffered from every posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptom. I also suffer from other psychiatric disorders resulting from my childhood. I have tried to commit suicide once. Thankfully, my current drug mix has eliminated this desire. I no longer consider suicide an option. My current drugs include Lithium, Lamictal and Paxil. It took years to come up with this mix. I have seen countless therapists and psychiatrists and now understand that I know more about my condition than they do. I teach them. I have taken anti-anxiety and sleeping pills as well during the really rough times. I prefer not to take things like Xanax and Ambien due to my tendency to hurt myself.

Comment from: escape artist, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had seizures for 40 of 44 years. Aug. 25th, 1999, they went in and removed the left amygdala, part of the hippocampus, and scar tissue from damage at birth by forceps. I became seizure-free for the first time in my life! Then, a year and a half later, I was never healthier. I was standing at a pedestrian crosswalk and heard a loud crash. A red van hit me. They found the hit-and-run driver two months later. My head (left frontal lobe) went through the windshield and broke a lot of my left side and pulverized my left knee. I have complex posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and mild traumatic brain injury (TBI ) and life-long disability. I have nightmares, flashbacks, etc. They have done the Amygdala Project on me, but because my case study was so unique, it has been published in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, May issue. I am the only one I know of with no left amygdala and still developed complex PTSD. They took my case to Hawaii and met with researchers in February. They are focusing on the right amygdala now. I am trying to get the doctors and researchers to do further studies, research, or get a grant. No treatments have helped. I stay inside or at the hospital on campus and do my art. Because of my unique case, there is nothing they can do.

Comment from: Shirley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

After losing my mother to leukemia in May 2005 and losing my husband to a heart attack in October 2005, I developed PTSD. I've been told by my therapist that I have every symptom of PTSD. She has taught me breathing exercises to deal with the flashbacks, and I have found that stomping my feet and moving my head quickly to the side helps with the flashbacks. As far as the PTSD, I have found that therapy has really helped and talking to my identical twin really helps to sort out my thoughts. I have a strong family support network.

Published: July 23

Fourteen months ago my husband had a brain hemorrhage and a stroke. I felt so strong during the month he was in neuroscience ICU and on a respirator and had tubes coming out of every part of his body. They did three brain surgeries and prepared me for the fact that he was not going to make it. I have always had a stress disorder. However we are not financially doomed. I am so depressed and can't seem to stop having flash backs of almost losing him. He made it but in some aspects is not the same.

Published: June 30

For me, the most effective treatment for my PTSD has been a 12-step program. I have been using this program for about four years. I now have a way of dealing with my life issues. I still am trying to find inner happiness, and I know that with the stable relationship I now have, and my program, that over time it will happen. I take the antidepressant Lexapro. I am now exercising regularly. This helps me when my thoughts seem out of control. I hope this message is useful to someone.

Published: June 26

I've been diagnosed with SSRIs for almost 4 years, so can't comment on the impact of this class of medication for PTSD but have found psychotherapy helpful to provide context to my experiences and work through the fear. Time away from work has also been important, so that I can take some time for myself, to heal. The urge to be alone is strong but I make an effort to go out daily and stay in touch with friends.

Published: June 16

In January of this year my doctor prescribed a miracle pill for me. Its 10mg Zyprexa. I gained about 30pounds so far and feel fantastic. I love waking up and have no problem going to sleep any longer.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?