Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: Struggler, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I found out that my PTSD stemmed from childhood sexual abuse, which later, I believed it resulted in alcohol and drug abuse. It didn't find treatment until I hit bottom and joined AA. It has helped me immensely. AA helped me to face life sober. Before, all I tried to do was to keep all of those memories away, hence the drugs and alcohol. Acceptance is the key.

Comment from: Ashleigh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

After trying several types of medication, I found exercise, yoga and meditation to work the best. The medicine - Lexapro did help some what, but made me feel tired/sleepy and gave me gut problems. I advise not going back to work full time as you burn yourself out again. Seeing a psychologist helped as well as you could talk about your experiences although I wanted to avoid as much of my past experiences as possible. I have heard that 6 week courses run by PTSD psych/psychiatrists have been really helpful for police and military personnel. Remember that your family needs you and set yourself goals.

Comment from: Pushed to the limit, 25-34 Female Published: September 24

After being abused when I was a child, moving many of times, going through my parents divorce, and being raped as a teenager, I could hardly sleep, and began having panic attacks all the time. This lead me to see a therapist who helped me work through my past which I kept a secret for years. I was finally feeling better until overwhelming stress and sexual harassment at work pushed me over the edge and I was diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It was absolutely awful. I didn't want to do anything, go anywhere, and was terrified of anything related to my job (of which I had to leave on doctor's orders). It's almost been a year and things have improved, but it's astonishing what this can do to a person. I've found therapy very helpful, along with medicine, plenty of sleep, light exercise, keeping a journal of how I feel and trying to make small goals for myself. If I could do anything differently, I would have spoken up a lot earlier, and not have pretended everything was fine until I couldn't take it anymore.

Comment from: Moselle, 45-54 Female Published: November 29

I have PTSD. I suffer flashbacks of a horrific event I went through when I was 22 years old. I am now 52. I am looking for a miracle treatment because I have gone to therapy for years, but the flashbacks still occur when there is a trigger. It lasts for two days to at least a week. Yoga has been helpful. And I paint and draw or carve; that helps as well, except when the flashbacks are happening. Then it is hard to refocus. I try to keep doing the menial tasks around the house, such as scrub the sink or pull some weeds. That helps too.

Comment from: UNC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I'm 39, and I just found out I have (PTSD). I have tried Prozac, Paxil, and now my doctor has me on Cymbalta. I was abused by my mother and father (sexually) when I was small. When I was 4, my mother started first until I was 8 years old. Then, my father started when I was 11 years old until I was 13 years old. My father paid for his mistakes, but my mother never did. I am taking a lot of medicines because of my messed up back that happened because of a surgery gone wrong. I don't work because of my bulging discs (nine), plus I have nerve root damage in both legs. I am very careful of what I take for my problems. I see a therapist, and he is also a preacher. I can't really go to any family members because they are not supportive. So, all I have is my new husband. I thought I would never get married because of my illness. But, I was wrong. Therapy and medicines have helped me and my daughters. I do know you just can't give up. Cymbalta is the best medicine for me and my PTSD.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have suffered from posttraumatic stress disorder since 1999 after being in involved in a severe war incident as journalist in Kosovo. For me Venlaflaxin (150 mg), a 12 step program and yoga gave me my life back. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?