Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: Lknva, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It was a shooting at home outside involving a crazy neighbor and I was standing right there when it happened. He shot my dog in the face. Dog lived and no he didn't bite the guy but anyway. Ever since I have such fear and panic about doors being opened. It took me 9 months to wear what I had on that day again, and realize that my outfit would not cause the scene to repeat. The shooting was on a Friday morning so I was nervous on Friday mornings for a couple of months. I have nightmares about the neighbor being out to get me and my family since we're all still living in the same places and it's been almost a year. We're looking to move soon and I look forward to that and think it will make a big difference.

Comment from: jazzybet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was in a stalking situation 30 years ago, I was kidnapped, strangled and left for dead. I almost lost my life during a four month period of time five times. I was also molested by my grandfather when I was 13 years old. I thought I was fine for 30 years. One day due to stress from a job that I was trying to be perfect at, I couldn't sleep for 3 days. I started to relive the past horror, and started having anxiety attacks, nightmares, and found myself sleeping in a closet. I finally got help after all these years. I still take medication and go to therapy every two weeks. It has been 9 years and I have been off work, and avoid most public places, and fear dark places like movies. I haven't had a successful relationship personal or romantic. Get help as soon as you can is my advice. I walked away from my family and didn't see them for years. I don't participate in family events. And I am now known as the strange aunt. Medication and therapy saved my life.

Comment from: 97weav103, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with PTSD at age 18. I had suffered 18 years' worth of physical, emotional and mental abuse by my mother and step-father who were both alcoholics. Nothing so far has helped my ptsd more than I have. I still suffer through all symptoms as well as behaviors and thoughts. However accepting my ptsd was the hardest thing I had to do but probably the most beneficial. I can't seem to stay in therapy and drugs do not help. Also been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, gerd, ibs, fibromyalgia and rsd. Acceptance is the key and when you can choose to accept and build a self-help process from there is when you can learn to live with this condition.

Comment from: bg, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Symptoms I experienced with PTSD include, problems falling asleep, nightmares, flash-backs, hyper arousal, a fear of intimacy, depression, anxiety, anger, numbness, memory loss, fatigue, restlessness, avoidance, irrational thinking( feeling as if things aren't where they are supposed to be, because they've changed in the years since the trauma), re-living the event, easily startled, poor concentration, suicidal thoughts.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My first symptom of post-traumatic stress disorder was waking up the day after the major event and feeling the whole left side of by body numb, burning, and aching. I told people, and they were afraid I was having a stroke. The weirdest part was that the left side of my face tingled -- about a triangle starting from the lip area and ending at my left ear. I got to the ER thinking of the stroke. They kept me there all afternoon, did a CAT scan, and told me I did not have a stroke. They filled out a prescription for stress. Then I deteriorated. The work situation was so sickening that I lost my confidence. A psychiatrist in administration told my boss who perpetrated the stressors that I acted like a deer in a headlight. I was put in a work health day program, and instead of improving, I got worse. It took me four months to be able to go to the area around work and I cried inconsolably. My homework was to stay there until I calmed down, but I could not. Then one month later, I ventured back. This time my husband drove and went to the parking structure all the way to where I parked and the location where the issues started on my first day at work. I was hysterical and my husband cried, as he had no idea how much this had changed the woman he married. After 10 months in treatment, taking 150 mgs of Zoloft per day and anxiety medication, I was able to walk back into the work environment but only with the help of the anxiety medication. I felt better this past summer; I had acupuncture from January to August 2010, but the physical pain and face symptoms are back, especially when I hear the work place's name or they attempt to contact me.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?