Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: ElizabethB., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My dear friend is the one with esophageal cancer at this point he has been on treatment for about 7 months. The chemotherapy ceased working at about 5 months and course of treatment with radiation was done and a new chemotherapy cocktail is being given now. The recent endoscopy showed the throat was totally closed on top by the tumor, the stent in the esophagus itself is now fully infiltrated by the tumor and the tumor is occupying about a 1/3 of the stomach. There has been no eating or drinking since treatment, started only a feeding tube that goes directly into the stomach on the side. A pump feeds him during his sleeping hours for the most part. The saliva was the most difficult part of the symptoms in the beginning. Now he has enough pain to need the morphine and is feeling so constipated that any awake time he has is spent in the moaning over gastric pressure and pain, and of course the pain medicines make him dizzy and unstable to even walk a few steps, and he is incoherent a lot. The wife's answer to these issues is to plan to take him to Seattle (hours away) in hopes of better treatment than the local place can give her husband. The cancer grows no matter what, it is growing slowly.

Comment from: maha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

She is 55 years old and in menopause since 7 months. She had sudden onset of increase in her belly size with mild nonsignificant pain in abdomen. She was admitted to hospital after ultra-scan that showed huge amount of ascitic fluid in abdomen, no pleural effusion. Normal KFT, normal LFT, CBC normal, mild increase in blood pressure 150/95, FBS normal, hepatitis B and C negative, ascitic fluid analysis shows WBC 1800, RBC 6000, protein 6 gm. Sugar 3 gm, neutrophils 55 percent, lymph 305, CA 125/167, CEA, AFP, CA19 all within normal.

Comment from: Lknva, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It was a shooting at home outside involving a crazy neighbor and I was standing right there when it happened. He shot my dog in the face. Dog lived and no he didn't bite the guy but anyway. Ever since I have such fear and panic about doors being opened. It took me 9 months to wear what I had on that day again, and realize that my outfit would not cause the scene to repeat. The shooting was on a Friday morning so I was nervous on Friday mornings for a couple of months. I have nightmares about the neighbor being out to get me and my family since we're all still living in the same places and it's been almost a year. We're looking to move soon and I look forward to that and think it will make a big difference.

Comment from: jazzybet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was in a stalking situation 30 years ago, I was kidnapped, strangled and left for dead. I almost lost my life during a four month period of time five times. I was also molested by my grandfather when I was 13 years old. I thought I was fine for 30 years. One day due to stress from a job that I was trying to be perfect at, I couldn't sleep for 3 days. I started to relive the past horror, and started having anxiety attacks, nightmares, and found myself sleeping in a closet. I finally got help after all these years. I still take medication and go to therapy every two weeks. It has been 9 years and I have been off work, and avoid most public places, and fear dark places like movies. I haven't had a successful relationship personal or romantic. Get help as soon as you can is my advice. I walked away from my family and didn't see them for years. I don't participate in family events. And I am now known as the strange aunt. Medication and therapy saved my life.

Comment from: 97weav103, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with PTSD at age 18. I had suffered 18 years' worth of physical, emotional and mental abuse by my mother and step-father who were both alcoholics. Nothing so far has helped my ptsd more than I have. I still suffer through all symptoms as well as behaviors and thoughts. However accepting my ptsd was the hardest thing I had to do but probably the most beneficial. I can't seem to stay in therapy and drugs do not help. Also been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, gerd, ibs, fibromyalgia and rsd. Acceptance is the key and when you can choose to accept and build a self-help process from there is when you can learn to live with this condition.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?