Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: Fearful in GA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I am bipolar, suicidal, an alcoholic, always living in fear, panic attacks, sleep deprevation, dilusional, lots of anger towards my ex-husband who emotionally, verbally and psychologically abused me for many years.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Terrors, can't breathe, heart pounding or fluttering, can't sleep, bingeing and purging, isolation, sweating, avoidance, scared all the time of anything that isn't in my control. I just want to sit in the corner and disappear.

Comment from: Lucille51, 65-74 Male Published: May 18

A friend of mine had wife to die in April of 2010 and son in July 2010. He has had 4 accidents since the deaths. Last accident, he just came in and out of reality. The accident last was on Feb. 15, 2011. He got out of car and told by standers to call our family and gave them the number to call. Within an hour the hospital send him to another state. When our family visited him, they said there was nothing physically wrong with him to cause this condition. He was on a ventilator for a couple of days; got off and was doing fine. Suddenly, they sent him to a nursing home and he is losing all hope and doesn't seem to remember much at all. Sometimes he recognizes us and sometimes he doesn't. This is so hard to understand. Can anyone out there relate to this. He was walking fine and then just quit--now stays in bed and will not talk, focus, etc---only calls his son's name. What possible thing could have happened besides maybe a mental breakdown. If anyone knows anyone who has had this problem, please reply as this man has no family left and we are trying to help him. He just turned 72 in April.

Comment from: worrywort, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am constantly worrying. I don't like large crowds. I cry easily. Sometimes in certain situations I get overwhelmed. Heart beating fast. Sweaty palms. Just an overall want to run away and hide. I do not believe in pills. So I go thru life like this. I am so sick of it. It gets too much at times.

Published: February 24

My posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms are severe vertigo, nausea and vomiting, nightmares, chest pains, lapses in memory, inability to sleep, and confusion.

Comment from: Michael, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

With posttraumatic stress disorder, I have racing thoughts, confusion, sleeplessness, excessive worrying, suicidal thoughts, and tearfulness.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?