Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: leeTimber, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

After my Heart attack - I felt very anxious that I was on the verge of having another, and afraid to do anything. I worked with the Hospital LISW and started taking Xanax. This seemed to quiet the fear factor that I was creating in my head and allowed me to start an exercise routine. I think seeing how my MI affected my wife was the worst part.

Comment from: ralph6499, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am a 45 year old female, other than being overweight I have no health problems. I started out having migraines, then seizures and syncope (passing out). I am constantly thinking of suicide, tearful, angry (RAGE) feelings of worthlessness and hatred. I have been seen by so many neurologists it is not funny. Finally a psychologist is the one that thought maybe I had PTSD, so he referred me to a psychiatrist and he confirmed what the other doctor said. Now I am on anti-depressants, but they are not working. My RAGE is worse now than ever and my suicidal thoughts are daily. No insurance so no doctor will touch me.

Comment from: 13-18 Published: November 02

I'm young and have just been diagnosed with PTSD. My symptoms consisted of not being able to sleep, worrying, anxiety, guilt, sadness, restless, and also suicidal thoughts. I feel like I will never be happy again and I feel like I'm nothing anymore.

Comment from: k?, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I recently have been diagnosed PTSD in January of this year I began having seizures, I've been to the Mayo and I have also been diagnosed with non-epiliptic conversion disorder.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have panic all the time, I worry constantly, it can take me hours to get out of the house, anytime anything is out of my control, I'm full of anxiety because I don't know what might happen. It's a terrible way to live. I can't sleep at night because I worry about everything. I get sweaty, my heart races, I feel like I'm going to die and wish I would. I've been dealing with this all my life and tried so many things that haven't worked.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Terrors, can't breathe, heart pounding or fluttering, can't sleep, bingeing and purging, isolation, sweating, avoidance, scared all the time of anything that isn't in my control. I just want to sit in the corner and disappear.

Comment from: Lucille51, 65-74 Male Published: May 18

A friend of mine had wife to die in April of 2010 and son in July 2010. He has had 4 accidents since the deaths. Last accident, he just came in and out of reality. The accident last was on Feb. 15, 2011. He got out of car and told by standers to call our family and gave them the number to call. Within an hour the hospital send him to another state. When our family visited him, they said there was nothing physically wrong with him to cause this condition. He was on a ventilator for a couple of days; got off and was doing fine. Suddenly, they sent him to a nursing home and he is losing all hope and doesn't seem to remember much at all. Sometimes he recognizes us and sometimes he doesn't. This is so hard to understand. Can anyone out there relate to this. He was walking fine and then just quit--now stays in bed and will not talk, focus, etc---only calls his son's name. What possible thing could have happened besides maybe a mental breakdown. If anyone knows anyone who has had this problem, please reply as this man has no family left and we are trying to help him. He just turned 72 in April.

Comment from: worrywort, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am constantly worrying. I don't like large crowds. I cry easily. Sometimes in certain situations I get overwhelmed. Heart beating fast. Sweaty palms. Just an overall want to run away and hide. I do not believe in pills. So I go thru life like this. I am so sick of it. It gets too much at times.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?