Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: erin_g, 55-64 Female Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in August of 2015 at 29 years of age. I had a severe case where I was hospitalized for 6 days with pneumonia caused by the virus. I was really sick for about six weeks; after which I began to recover. It was a long process and I haven't felt 100 percent since. Here we are six months later and I am now having a lot of the same symptoms that I had with the initial outbreak but I don't have a fever. I have abdominal pain, foggy brain, chronic fatigue, an upset stomach, headaches, and muscle weakness and muscle spasms. My doctor said that I could have symptoms for up to a few years after the initial infection. I have been to the doctor and the emergency room and all of my blood work looks fine. It started with a cold about four weeks ago. I have been out of it ever since. I find it difficult to focus and think, and I feel like I am stoned all of the time. If this is because of mono, I wonder if there is any light at the end of the tunnel and if I will ever feel normal again.

Comment from: Boots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had my left thyroid removed 4 days ago and I feel great! I was really surprised about the pain I had afterwards. There was hardly any pain. My throat was a little sore. I took 2 pain pills, but I didn't really need them. I wanted to tell someone about my experience because I was so very afraid about the surgery.

Comment from: civet, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

My life in my memory is only fragments. I thought my life was normal until I was bullied as a 55 year old at work and fell apart. Now I'm barely enduring each day. I really can't stand the pain of life as it is.

Comment from: bg, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Symptoms I experienced with PTSD include, problems falling asleep, nightmares, flash-backs, hyper arousal, a fear of intimacy, depression, anxiety, anger, numbness, memory loss, fatigue, restlessness, avoidance, irrational thinking( feeling as if things aren't where they are supposed to be, because they've changed in the years since the trauma), re-living the event, easily startled, poor concentration, suicidal thoughts.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My first symptom of post-traumatic stress disorder was waking up the day after the major event and feeling the whole left side of by body numb, burning, and aching. I told people, and they were afraid I was having a stroke. The weirdest part was that the left side of my face tingled -- about a triangle starting from the lip area and ending at my left ear. I got to the ER thinking of the stroke. They kept me there all afternoon, did a CAT scan, and told me I did not have a stroke. They filled out a prescription for stress. Then I deteriorated. The work situation was so sickening that I lost my confidence. A psychiatrist in administration told my boss who perpetrated the stressors that I acted like a deer in a headlight. I was put in a work health day program, and instead of improving, I got worse. It took me four months to be able to go to the area around work and I cried inconsolably. My homework was to stay there until I calmed down, but I could not. Then one month later, I ventured back. This time my husband drove and went to the parking structure all the way to where I parked and the location where the issues started on my first day at work. I was hysterical and my husband cried, as he had no idea how much this had changed the woman he married. After 10 months in treatment, taking 150 mgs of Zoloft per day and anxiety medication, I was able to walk back into the work environment but only with the help of the anxiety medication. I felt better this past summer; I had acupuncture from January to August 2010, but the physical pain and face symptoms are back, especially when I hear the work place's name or they attempt to contact me.

Comment from: unfair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had nightmares for 6 years.

Comment from: mick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was the victim of a domestic violence situation 14 years ago and underwent 10 years of counseling, which gave some relief, but the symptoms are still there. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them. I still startle easily – the beatings were severe and I was raped up to 10 times a day. He was on the run from the police for 10 years until he was finally caught and received six years prison.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?