Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?

Comment from: unfair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had nightmares for 6 years.

Comment from: mick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was the victim of a domestic violence situation 14 years ago and underwent 10 years of counseling, which gave some relief, but the symptoms are still there. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them. I still startle easily – the beatings were severe and I was raped up to 10 times a day. He was on the run from the police for 10 years until he was finally caught and received six years prison.

Comment from: ALoMenos, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

Ever since I was two years old I've been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. Now I am 18. I suffered a lot throughout the years. I've been through everything in the book. One specific event was most of my family died at a wedding the same day of my 18th birthday. Also I was told all my life that my real family was just my aunt, uncle, cousins, and grandma. Also I have a half-brother missing.

Comment from: WEM461, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder from a marriage to an abusive and violent man. It really did a lot to my mind, and I will never be the same. The nightmares are still the worst. My advice to a lot of women who are out there living the same way, is to get out before it destroys your mind totally, like it almost did mine, abuse and violence is a horrible thing to go through, let alone fear for your life.

Comment from: leeTimber, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

After my Heart attack - I felt very anxious that I was on the verge of having another, and afraid to do anything. I worked with the Hospital LISW and started taking Xanax. This seemed to quiet the fear factor that I was creating in my head and allowed me to start an exercise routine. I think seeing how my MI affected my wife was the worst part.

Comment from: ralph6499, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am a 45 year old female, other than being overweight I have no health problems. I started out having migraines, then seizures and syncope (passing out). I am constantly thinking of suicide, tearful, angry (RAGE) feelings of worthlessness and hatred. I have been seen by so many neurologists it is not funny. Finally a psychologist is the one that thought maybe I had PTSD, so he referred me to a psychiatrist and he confirmed what the other doctor said. Now I am on anti-depressants, but they are not working. My RAGE is worse now than ever and my suicidal thoughts are daily. No insurance so no doctor will touch me.

Comment from: 13-18 Published: November 02

I'm young and have just been diagnosed with PTSD. My symptoms consisted of not being able to sleep, worrying, anxiety, guilt, sadness, restless, and also suicidal thoughts. I feel like I will never be happy again and I feel like I'm nothing anymore.

Comment from: k?, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I recently have been diagnosed PTSD in January of this year I began having seizures, I've been to the Mayo and I have also been diagnosed with non-epiliptic conversion disorder.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have panic all the time, I worry constantly, it can take me hours to get out of the house, anytime anything is out of my control, I'm full of anxiety because I don't know what might happen. It's a terrible way to live. I can't sleep at night because I worry about everything. I get sweaty, my heart races, I feel like I'm going to die and wish I would. I've been dealing with this all my life and tried so many things that haven't worked.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?