Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping

How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?

Comment from: Robogirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am female, 51. I have tried anti-depressants and did not like the side effects. I treat my PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) as a wrestling match. I try to be the healthiest I can be, so when I have anxiety or depression, my physical body doesn't fail me. I am very strict on my diet, low carbs, high protein eating and a salad every day, I exercise every day, and I keep regular eat/sleep times. Eight glasses of water, no sugar, and I try to eat fruit when I want something sweet. Yoga is extremely beneficial at helping calm your mind and hot yoga has really helped me. It's good to have a number of activities to prevent boredom: biking, swimming, running, walking, hiking, or joining a team sport. City recreation centers are very affordable. Absolutely no alcohol, ever, and I even switched my mouth rinse to a non-alcohol. I don't have television in my home. Finding a good therapist is important but difficult. It's good to have an activity you can get lost in, to give your mind a rest. I find it calming to work calculus problems because you can only think of the problem at hand; but you need something that you always enjoy doing, like gardening. When feeling depressed, keep your same routine getting up early, showering. When melancholy sets in, I mail a funny card to someone, clean the house, get some sunshine if possible, and understand that this feeling will pass. I have had problems with addiction and I think no medications is the best way to go but you have to be able to calm your mind and sometimes the medications are the only way to get a calm mind but I would avoid all pain medications if possible. And realize the benefits of having PTSD, you probably have an excellent memory and this can serve you well in life.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes Question: What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?