Patient Comments: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes

What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?

Comment from: Martita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

The PTSD I suffer from occurred from the home environment I was subjected to for the first eighteen years of my life. There was alcoholism, brutal abuse, sadistic treatments from my father, and violence, each of which caused my brother and I to have to hide to keep from being caught up in it. This was not always possible so we were directly exposed to all of the above, as well as witnessing our mother experience the worst of it.

Comment from: SueJ, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

Our only daughter died from liver disease three months ago. I, her mother cannot function. I cannot even explain the hurt in my heart. I am in a fog as I try to go through the day. We were with her when she took her last breath. I have flashbacks of that night and watching my beloved daughter die. I cannot explain the pain I feel.

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with posttraumatic stress disorder?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping Question: How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Diagnosis and Assessment Question: What types of tests or exams helped assess and later diagnose your PTSD?
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Getting Help Question: What group or organization has helped you or a loved one cope with PTSD?