Patient Comments: Postherpetic Neuralgia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your postherpetic neuralgia?

Comment from: Mary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a shingles shot and about 2 years later got shingles. I have now had postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) for about 5 years. It is mostly on my left rib area. I have bad pain most all the time. I take gabapentin and Lyrica which kind of keeps the worst pain away, but still almost constant pain. I have had a spinal stimulator but had it taken out because it seemed to stimulate the nerves more than gave any relief. I've had several shots in my spine, all to no avail, and I had the Qutenza patch which was very painful and did nothing; topical gels, patches, all nothing. I sure wish someone would fix this!

Comment from: Gary53, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I came down with a case of shingles in early 2008 at the age of 54. The pain and agony of postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) has been constant now for almost seven years. I tried all the standard treatments shy of surgery, and the very, very minimal relief was not worth the unpleasant side effects. I even tried ten sessions of acupuncture early in 2014 and was pain-free for a few hours after the first session, but after a couple months of treatment the pain had returned to original levels, so I ended the treatments. I have accepted that this 24/7 curse will be with me for the rest of my life.

Comment from: psoriasis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I had shingles that developed into neuralgia. I am taking Lyrica with Panadeine at night. This is only masking the pain, but helps me sleep.

Comment from: Rob B, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I have only been diagnosed in the past week with postherpetic neuralgia. I am suffering with the most wicked headaches I have experienced in my life down the right side of my head. I have been prescribed gabapentin which hasn't helped at all. I am also using Paracode which slightly helps. My pain is so intense it brings tears to my eyes, and I can't sleep.

Comment from: Mira K, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Six months ago I had shingles on the left side on my back and front. After the blisters were gone I still have itching. Not just in the area of shingles, which real bad, but also all over my body. I tried Zyrtec, and many topical creams. Nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have had shingles for 4 months, rash has long gone but I have been diagnosed with postherpetic neuralgia (PHN). I am looking for relief. The shingles was in my buttock area and the pain is still there. I also have extreme pain and burning in lower left leg, behind the knee and calf and top of ankle. I have used the lidocaine patches which helped a little. I am taking Horizant for shingles pain, not sure how much it helps. The pain is extreme at times and better at times. I do think this is the most severe pain I have ever experienced. Looking for relief and trying to remain hopeful!

Comment from: Jabez, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) for over 7 years. I"ve tried most pain treatments but I"m at the end of my rope. So I"m going through the process of having a spinal cord stimulator implant. I"ve had 2 epidurals, quite painful, but hopeful this treatment might work in some degree.

Comment from: Jabez, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I have postherpetic neuralgia and continue to be in severe pain daily. I've tried all known pain killers under the sun and nothing works.

Postherpetic Neuralgia - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)?