Patient Comments: Postherpetic Neuralgia - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)?

Comment from: pianogal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have postherpetic neuralgia (PHN). I am a heart patient with a defibrillator and a mitral metal valve. I have suffered for approximately 5 months. The nerve pain has subsided but the itching hasn"t. I went to my primary physician yesterday and asked for medication (Elavil) 5mgs. Gabapentin has done nothing, I wonder why the itching increases upon waking in the morning.

Comment from: Pianogal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I suffer from PHN, it is so painful! I am taking gabapentin but there is still pain and the medication makes me drowsy. The pain is so debilitating. I am also a heart patient with a mitral metal valve and a defibrillator. Cool showers help for a while but there seems to be nothing available to help us.

Comment from: dawn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have been told by my doctor I have postherpetic neuralgia but I have never had the shingles.

Postherpetic Neuralgia - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your postherpetic neuralgia?