Patient Comments: Post-Polio Syndrome - Exercise

What types of exercise or physical therapy are helpful in managing symptoms associated with post-polio syndrome?

Comment from: Billy"s Gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was diagnosed with polio in October 1952 when I was 16 months old. I spent a month in a polio ward of a hospital. Of course I do not remember, other than things that I am told. I was given whirlpool baths to help reduce the pain of the polio. My entire left side was affected. My original diagnosis was that I would not walk again, I proved them wrong. When I was released from the hospital I had to relearn to walk. I did so with shoes that were attached to a bent bar and the shoes were on a dial that the doctor could adjust to set my feet in the proper direction.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: acem, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I got the polio from the vaccine in 1952. By 1960 it had taken the triceps of my right arm and some of the chest muscle group on the front. Right lung was affected. Now the constant nagging knotting I felt when I was young is back and the weakening of the muscles seems worse all the time. Swimming and spa seems the best for me.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Post-Polio Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with post-polio syndrome?
Post-Polio Syndrome - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment or therapy have you tried to improve muscle strength lost from post-polio syndrome?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.