Patient Comments: Post-Polio Syndrome - Exercise

What types of exercise or physical therapy are helpful in managing symptoms associated with post-polio syndrome?

Comment from: LFtech, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I had paralytic polio at age 7. Post-polio syndrome exhibited itself in 1995. I have bulbar center autonomic abdominal issues, with sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and lack of intestinal motility and spinal muscular issues such as chronic leg pain. I had some issues which aquatic therapy helped, but following a knee replacement, when I returned to physical therapy, they no longer had access to a pool. The land therapy has proven to be detrimental. I am looking for relief from my persistent leg pain.

Comment from: LikeALion, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Varied exercises have to be done, never repetitive, as repetitive can destroy muscle cells or weaken them, without regaining original strength. Do something that you like, vary it, using all the muscles at different times, rest tired or weak muscles, then gradually do something. It is all about balance! Most rehabilitation technicians do not know or understand post-polio syndrome (PPS) muscle issues or know appropriate exercise. And most do not think that PPS is an issue anymore! Be very careful who you use as a therapist or what you do! You are your own best consultant for what you need or what works for you! Educate your therapist. Rest. Love yourself with a balance of exercise or use of muscles and rest. And remember to take a day off now and then! Whey protein helps with the fatigue!

Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I had polio when I was three years old (1948). I recovered pretty well with some weakness in left leg. I played a lot of basketball until I was 50. I noticed some weakness when trying to lift lower legs. I had tests done that showed nerve damage. I had injury to left knee two years ago and the doctor suggests knee replacement. I can lift about 10 pounds (could be more if I gradually lift) weights.

Comment from: Billy"s Gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was diagnosed with polio in October 1952 when I was 16 months old. I spent a month in a polio ward of a hospital. Of course I do not remember, other than things that I am told. I was given whirlpool baths to help reduce the pain of the polio. My entire left side was affected. My original diagnosis was that I would not walk again, I proved them wrong. When I was released from the hospital I had to relearn to walk. I did so with shoes that were attached to a bent bar and the shoes were on a dial that the doctor could adjust to set my feet in the proper direction.

Comment from: acem, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I got the polio from the vaccine in 1952. By 1960 it had taken the triceps of my right arm and some of the chest muscle group on the front. Right lung was affected. Now the constant nagging knotting I felt when I was young is back and the weakening of the muscles seems worse all the time. Swimming and spa seems the best for me.

Post-Polio Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with post-polio syndrome?
Post-Polio Syndrome - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment or therapy have you tried to improve muscle strength lost from post-polio syndrome?