Patient Comments: Post-Polio Syndrome - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with post-polio syndrome?

Comment from: Charlie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I had polio at age 26 in 1952. I had the type that did not lead to paralysis or involvement (abortive polio). For years, I had mild swallowing problems. I played tennis with no affect for many years. Then in 2012, I experienced profound fatigue and an inability to absorb oxygen. Extensive cardiological exams and scans showed no reason for problems. I could sleep on my left side, but not on my right and have sleep apnea. I chaired the March of Dimes in Western New York in the late 1950s. Now what?

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I contract polio when I was 21 months old in Japan. Except for a slightly deformed foot and leg aches I was OK until about 1980. I joined the military in 1973 – obviously, this was a mistake. I began to feel an overwhelming fatigue. I had a problem with cold or extreme temperatures. (Now that I think about it I used to shake on the way to school in Ohio, I remember my Dad telling me to relax and I wouldn't be so cold). Other symptoms include an inability to concentrate and a poor memory.

Post-Polio Syndrome - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment or therapy have you tried to improve muscle strength lost from post-polio syndrome?
Post-Polio Syndrome - Exercise Question: What types of exercise or physical therapy are helpful in managing symptoms associated with post-polio syndrome?