Patient Comments: Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Treatment

What was the treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica in you or someone you know?

Comment from: Tiger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have had polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) 3 times since I was 60 years old. I am now 73. I just got off of prednisone. I was on it for 6 months. Happy to be off of it. Second and third times the pain was unbearable. The medicine was a miracle drug. Some side effects I was not happy with. I hope that PMR does not return to my body.

Comment from: Reddog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 76 years old and on prednisone for over a year, currently 10 grams per day. I also take vitamin D, an osteopathic medication, once a week, and a couple of ibuprofen at bed time. I have a relatively high sedimentation rate around 44, but minimal to no symptoms, just occasional slight pain in both shoulders. My symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica under this treatment are minimal and do not prevent me from being active in sports like tennis and biking. Reducing the amount of prednisone does cause pain to start crawling back.

Comment from: Kevin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I am a 72 year male. Two years ago I contracted shingles which lasted for around 12 months then almost immediately I awoke one morning almost unable to move, very stiff and sore, particularly in both shoulders and I had difficulty lifting my arms above the shoulders. I had a steroid injection in each shoulder and that helped with the shoulders. Prednisone 15mg per day alleviated the other symptoms. Being an active lawn bowler I continued almost daily rollup practices as well as walking the dogs. The aches and pains vary slightly, but I have been able to reduce the prednisone to 10mg some 12 months after the onset. However, I still get very fatigued both physically and mentally after a full day on the bowling green. My BMI (body mass index) is good. My general health is ok and I am regular of meals and rest. The PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica) seems to be in a holding pattern, not getting better or worse. A hot shower, exercise and rest, plus a good night's sleep each day seems to be helping.

Comment from: kreusing, 75 or over (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with polymyalgia. I have been on prednisone for three days and I feel improved but not better. Years ago I had temporal arthritis and was given prednisone and woke up without pain. I understand that if you have one type the other can attack you years later. I also have anxiety and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which makes it difficult.

Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Diagnosis Question: How was your polymyalgia rheumatica diagnosed?