Patient Comments: Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Symptoms

The symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: PHJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

It's been a long 2 months. I was working in the yard on a Sunday in April 2016 and was unable to get out of bed the following Wednesday. I was first worked up for Lyme and other tick borne diseases. All negative. I finally googled my symptoms and polymyalgia rheumatica popped up. I took this information to my primary care physician who ended up sending me to a rheumatologist. A dose of 60 mg of prednisone works some days better than others. They are talking about putting me on methotrexate. I don't like either one but I can't continue to live with this pain. Shoulders and hips have lost all range of motion and arms are barely functional. I had temporal artery biopsy which was normal but I had been on prednisone for weeks prior. I have been instructed to keep 80 mg of prednisone with me at all times and take if there are any changes in vision. I'm scared.

Comment from: az_xplorer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I had a really bad polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) experience 6 years ago in May. It took a year of declining dose of prednisone to resolve it. As an aside, I have subsequently had a cataract in each eye. But they weren't a bad thing because the procedure is quick and painless and my vision is much improved with the new lenses. Last year, also in May I had an episode of shoulder pain that came and went in a week, without treatment. It felt like PMR. Now this year, in April, I had an onset of terrible fatigue and soreness all over. It lasted several days and then vanished. Except I am left with considerable weakness and soreness in all my glute muscles, especially in the morning. It makes it hard to walk any distance and the elliptical in the gym kills me. That's the only muscle group affected, otherwise I feel great. I wonder if this is a PMR recurrence.

Comment from: rbellew12, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was just diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. I have pain all over, stiffness, stomach issues, and horrible fatigue. I'm just worried this is an incorrect diagnosis. I'm 38! And I've had these issues for decades. They flared up in 2011 and have gotten worse since and I just got a diagnosis after being told it was fibromyalgia for years. I've gained weight not lost it. I get swelling and water retention is very bad at times too.

Comment from: cindy s, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica about 6 or more years ago. My condition was found though examination and a white blood cell count below normal range. Leukemia was ruled out. I had pain in my shoulders, and hips and without medication could barely move. My primary care physician put me on Cymbalta 120 mg daily and told me not to stop taking it. I was overweight at the time and also fighting osteoarthritis. The Cymbalta keeps it in check, however, I do have cramping in my feet sometimes.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My polymyalgia rheumatica symptom was stiff left middle finger, and the stiffness traveled up to shoulder and side of neck. Could not raise left arm or sleep on side or back.

Comment from: Rene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am miserable. I believe I have fibromyalgia rheumatica. I saw a specialist who wants me on all these medicines like methotrexate and I refuse to take it. I'm on low doses of prednisone and I'm scared of that.

Comment from: Deb, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 22

Within a week of getting a shingles shot, my husband was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. His immune system has not been the strongest, and perhaps should not have been a candidate for the shot.

Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Diagnosis Question: How was your polymyalgia rheumatica diagnosed?
Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica in you or someone you know?