Patient Comments: Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Symptoms

The symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: rbellew12, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was just diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. I have pain all over, stiffness, stomach issues, and horrible fatigue. I'm just worried this is an incorrect diagnosis. I'm 38! And I've had these issues for decades. They flared up in 2011 and have gotten worse since and I just got a diagnosis after being told it was fibromyalgia for years. I've gained weight not lost it. I get swelling and water retention is very bad at times too.

Comment from: cindy s, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica about 6 or more years ago. My condition was found though examination and a white blood cell count below normal range. Leukemia was ruled out. I had pain in my shoulders, and hips and without medication could barely move. My primary care physician put me on Cymbalta 120 mg daily and told me not to stop taking it. I was overweight at the time and also fighting osteoarthritis. The Cymbalta keeps it in check, however, I do have cramping in my feet sometimes.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My polymyalgia rheumatica symptom was stiff left middle finger, and the stiffness traveled up to shoulder and side of neck. Could not raise left arm or sleep on side or back.

Comment from: Rosebuddy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) 13 months ago following an upper respiratory infection that I picked up from the nursing home where I worked. The pain started in my hips and then I developed a severe headache. I coughed for six weeks and ended up in the emergency room with severe pain in head and hips. No GCA (giant cell arteritis) but I was diagnosed with PMR and branch retinal vein occlusion. I was started on prednisone. At ten month point I got down to 1.5 mg prednisone and the PMR came back with a vengeance. Now I am starting all over again trying to control pain and then will begin the slow trek of titrating the prednisone down. I've noticed that quite a few people were exposed to virus working in healthcare setting before onset. I wonder if there is any connection.

Comment from: JJBLUiisN39, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was recently diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), and this past Friday had a temporal artery biopsy as my eye doctor saw some things that didn't look good to him and one of his colleagues. I should have the results by tomorrow, I am currently on 70 mg of prednisone a day and it has finally taken control of the pain. I believe I have had this autoimmune disease for quite some time but it was so severe at diagnosis that lab tests were finally done which confirmed it. A new symptom has entered the picture and that is my feet stiffening and seemingly 'seizing' to the point where it is extremely painful. I am a retired massage therapist and volunteer at my local hospital, doing aromatherapy massage for our patients. Naturally, I am not currently allowed near the hospital so I am extremely bored now that I have the pain under control. Wishing all of my fellow-sufferers pain relief and a miracle cure!

Comment from: Deb, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 22

Within a week of getting a shingles shot, my husband was diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica. His immune system has not been the strongest, and perhaps should not have been a candidate for the shot.

Comment from: wills, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica for years, very painful feet, general aches and pains all over, and flu like symptoms after exertion. The last few weeks I have developed shoulder pain. I went back to my general physician who said to try prednisolone, that was two days ago. I rode my bike today for the first time in an ages, I wonder if this is polymyalgia.

Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Diagnosis Question: How was your polymyalgia rheumatica diagnosed?
Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica in you or someone you know?