Patient Comments: Polycythemia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your polycythemia?

Comment from: JPB53, (Patient) Published: December 05

My polycythemia vera was discovered over 5 years ago by my oncologist during a bone marrow test for lymphoma. I've been having phlebotomies for over 5 years and taking hydroxyurea along with a low dose aspirin during this time. I am taking blood pressure medications as well and were on these before the cancers were found. I also experienced gout a couple of times a year due to uric acid buildup. I am fortunate in that my oncologist ran the test on a hunch with the bone marrow. I believe it has saved my life. The lymphoma is under control at the present time so I don't have to undergo chemotherapy.

Comment from: scm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I was detected as having polycythemia vera (PV) about 9/10 months ago and the hemoglobin count had gone up to 21.9. I had to go for phlebotomy about 9 times almost in continued succession and another time after 4 months as hematocrit level went to 45.5. As an Indian maybe the upper limits the doctors check here are far lower i.e. 12-16 for hemoglobin and 41-45 for hematocrit. Due to the treatment with hydroxyurea capsules and blood thinning tablets I am giving blood only when higher levels are breached. However on phlebotomy there is severe weakness and debility. This makes even, walking a problem due to continued pain in all joints. This has also caused sexual debility. I have heard of Levical, an herbal drug made in Belgium. Reported to be an effective controller of blood parameters.

Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count) - Cause Question: What was the cause of your high red blood cell count (polycythemia)?
Polycythemia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with polycythemia.
Polycythemia - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your polycythemia?