Patient Comments: Polycythemia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your polycythemia?

Comment from: Bob y, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I have two main issues with polycythemia, fatigue and itching, mainly my back. Hydrazine cream for the itching has been a big help. The fatigue factor makes some normal chores difficult, some impossible.

Comment from: Gary, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I have just been diagnosed with polycythemia. I had no symptoms. The condition was detected after my blood work for my annual physical. I am being treated by bloodletting and with hydroxyurea.

Comment from: daveyboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

The symptoms of my polycythemia are fatigue, phlebotomy, headaches, and quality of life declining.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

It was discovered about 3 years ago that I had polycythemia vera. I suffer with severe nose bleeds, skin itch and now it appears that I have frequent phlebitis (this I am not sure is connected to PV). I am in my 80's and I have had 2 different cancers within the last 3 years, but both in remission. I have a phlebotomy once a month. Except for the phlebitis and night sweats I have a good appetite and good energy.

Comment from: kk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have had polycythemia for about two years. At first, I was first treated with an aspirin a day to keep my blood thin so I won't clot. Now I have to have phlebotomy once every two weeks. I also was worried like crazy about the disease, but I get my treatment at a cancer center and the patients there keep me in good spirits.

Polycythemia (High Red Blood Cell Count) - Cause Question: What was the cause of your high red blood cell count (polycythemia)?
Polycythemia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with polycythemia.
Polycythemia - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your polycythemia?