Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 53 and only had periods 1 to 3 times a year. I was able to conceive with fertility drugs. I had to have a hysterectomy at 24 due to multiple cysts on the ovaries. I have hair along my jaw and neck and my hair is thinning. I have suffered with depression and weight. Just recently I found out I am one step away from diabetes. What craziness this polycystic ovarian syndrome is! But like the previous posts, knowledge is empowerment. So I put this new knowledge to the test. Exercise is a must, and vitamins. We can conquer.

Comment from: recluse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 12. At that time (1956) little was known about anything of women's problems. I was late in starting periods and developed a beard. No one knew what to do so I started shaving in college and have been shaving since. It was difficult to get pregnant. My 2 sons are 7 years apart. I am now experiencing pattern baldness. I always wear a hat. My advice: don't shave your facial hair, get it waxed. And remember you are still a beautiful woman.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) for about 8 years now. The cramps are at their worst when I don't eat right or exercise. I am on metformin and hydrochlorothiazide. I had my second baby 5 years ago, after being told at diagnosis that I would never have another child. Needless to say I don't frequent that doctor anymore. Don't be discouraged, pregnancy is possible. However, I want to add that cow's milk is bad for you. Stop drinking it and notice the results.

Comment from: newme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 49 year old nurse that has been suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since diagnosed at 19 years old. I had very irregular, heavy, and painful periods since puberty. I also had excessive facial hair and easily gained weight as an adolescent. I have only to look to my mother and grandmother to see my problem because they have all the same symptoms. My mother and grandmother also have type II diabetes. I have radically changed the two things that can fuel PCOS and insulin resistance. Diet and exercise are the best tools that you have. Eliminate all bread and sugars from your diet. It is not perfect, but it works for weight control. I also have the Mirena IUD (intrauterine device) that has drastically controlled my heavy periods and allowed me to be able to leave my house without fear of bleeding all over whatever chair I happen to be sitting in in public. It really sucks being a woman with PCOS, but I believe this is a time to live and not to die. There are much worse things that could happen to me.

Comment from: RNMOM1961, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have never been formally diagnosed but as a nurse with the symptoms described here I am sure I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). As a young teen I always had late, heavy periods, 8 to 10 weeks apart. I tried birth control several times but had headaches and leg cramps. It took me 5 years to get pregnant with the help of an infertility specialist, a D&C and Clomid. I was on a diet and had lost 10 lbs when I conceived my daughter 26 years ago. I didn"t have acne and weight gain but am an 'apple' shape and have difficulty losing weight even with diet and exercise. Sixteen years ago I conceived in 8 to 10 weeks without the use of Clomid. Over the years I have had cysts on ultrasound they have found during my yearly gynecological exam. I have not had to take metformin or been diagnosed with insulin-resistance. My advice to every woman would be to seek the advice of an infertility specialist if you have POCS and are trying to conceive. I wish all of you the best of luck! As women we must support each other as usually you have friends that do not have PCOS and infertility so they have no idea how you feel.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.