Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: sheila 0770, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

After two days of horrible pain and stools that was only blood I went to the emergency room. I spent 8 hours there and finally got diagnosed with colitis. I don't know where to go from here. I was put on two different antibiotics and am waiting to see my doctor.

Comment from: Cyndi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 26 years old. I have had bacterial vaginosis (BV) for almost 2 years. When I first had symptoms, I thought it was a yeast infection. I never really get any discharge with the bacterial infection as you would in a yeast infection but my symptoms are burning and itching, bad! I started going to my obstetrician/gynecologist for this and he put me on treatment with Cervugid ovules (vaginal suppository). After two months of treatment with Cervugid ovules, I had medical tests again and BV went away. I was cured of the disease. I am very happy that I got rid of that awful itching and horrible smell. Now I can start my life again.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 53 and only had periods 1 to 3 times a year. I was able to conceive with fertility drugs. I had to have a hysterectomy at 24 due to multiple cysts on the ovaries. I have hair along my jaw and neck and my hair is thinning. I have suffered with depression and weight. Just recently I found out I am one step away from diabetes. What craziness this polycystic ovarian syndrome is! But like the previous posts, knowledge is empowerment. So I put this new knowledge to the test. Exercise is a must, and vitamins. We can conquer.

Comment from: recluse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 12. At that time (1956) little was known about anything of women's problems. I was late in starting periods and developed a beard. No one knew what to do so I started shaving in college and have been shaving since. It was difficult to get pregnant. My 2 sons are 7 years apart. I am now experiencing pattern baldness. I always wear a hat. My advice: don't shave your facial hair, get it waxed. And remember you are still a beautiful woman.

Comment from: Maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) for about 8 years now. The cramps are at their worst when I don't eat right or exercise. I am on metformin and hydrochlorothiazide. I had my second baby 5 years ago, after being told at diagnosis that I would never have another child. Needless to say I don't frequent that doctor anymore. Don't be discouraged, pregnancy is possible. However, I want to add that cow's milk is bad for you. Stop drinking it and notice the results.

Comment from: shuburna C., Published: March 29

My daughter is 10 years old and she has epilepsy occasionally. I want to know why it happens.

Comment from: santiago, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have been taking OTC medicine as I believe I have a sciatica. The pain from pinched nerve reverberates to the right side of my leg. It has been longer than 3 months now. I need help.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.