Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: melissa08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am 20 years old and I have pcos. I have no periods. Last year I had 2 periods all year. I have not had a regular period in 3 years. I keep gaining weight and I can not lose it. I have very oily skin and acne. I do not have any extra hair but I am scared I will. I want to have kids so bad and I don't think I am going to be able to. I have wanted to have a kid for the past 3 years. I don't know what to do. It is very depressing knowing that I can not have kids.

Comment from: foxysly1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My doc said I had cysts on my ovaries. Now 2 years ago I weighed 118lb.then I start gaining weight real fast. Even I walk exercise and don't eat much. Some days I skip a meal. A month ago I seen my doctor and I weigh 245 lb. then I came back a month later and I gained another 9lb. I don't know why I gain like that. My doc said it could be the cysts but they would make me eat a lot since I told him my intake a day may be 800-1000 calories.

Comment from: kdd girl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Oily skin, problem in conceiving, weight gain, abnormal periods experienced with PCOS.

Comment from: MNJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am 33 years old and have always had irregular periods. Sometimes I would go months without a period. The doctors first said it had to do with my age and I was just starting my periods. Then at age 15 I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism so they said my irregular periods were because of that. I got married a year ago and wanted to see if I could have children. My doctor took a bunch of hormone test and an internal ultrasound. That is when I found out I had PCOS and I was ovulating at that moment. I ended up pregnant. I lost the babies 6 weeks later. I have been trying to get pregnant ever since. My doctor put me on 1000 mg of Metformin. I will know in two weeks if the clomid and clomiphene citrate shot worked. If it didn't my next step is an IUI. Also, because of the PCOS I don't make enough progesterone when pregnant so I am taking progesterone suppository.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with PCOS however the only symptoms that I have are acne, absent periods, and elevated hormone levels. No pain, no obesity, no other abnormal labs, also no cysts. I was diagnosed after problems with infertility. Luckily after many failed attempts, I am expecting a baby boy any day now, thanks to the help of IVF!

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female Published: March 22

This article was very informative; I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The symptoms I am having are irregular periods, heavy bleeding, obesity, dandruff, etc.

Comment from: luvamusiq, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with pcos at 21. I don't have a lot of symptoms just trouble with fertility. The prescribed morphine helped but I no longer have insurance and I have pain in my ovaries.

Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was 24. I am now 33 and have not conceived. It's very irritable and frustrated. I had some acne, dandruff, lots of weight gain and it's very hard to loose the weight. I now have skin problems. Over the years, it gets worse. I had no menstrual for six months and the other six months I had one. That was back in teens day. I know what others go thru. It's very hard for me. I just pray that one day I can have a child.

Comment from: perenial pcod, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have this syndrome for as long as I can remember. It has taken away my happiness. I wanted to be a normal girl all my life. I hate docs because they could never help me really. I try to be happy with the other things which GOD has bestowed in my life. It's my karma.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.