Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: pablod, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is effects on mood. My wife has PCOS and gets quiet angry and changes mood quickly that the doctor said may be due to elevated male hormone levels. This has effects on the PCOS sufferer's partner and children. Please keep in mind it's not just you that is suffering.

Comment from: aseabolt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 32 year old female who has been fighting with pcos for about 8months now and it is not fun in any way. Around Easter 2011 I found out that pcos was the cause of me having so much abdominal pain and my irregular periods, this started happening when I was 14 and never noticed. I hate being in pain and just want it to go away. What other options do I have, my doctor just put me on the fluid pill today after 8 months of misery, nice right, don't think so. I hope they get this under control because it really sucks!!

Comment from: Patricia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

The day after my 15 birthday I was told that i had POC. I had not had my period for about 3 months and we were getting worried. I have always had acne. The doctors said that i needed to lose wait but it stayed the same until it came back. The day my period came back. I had really bad cramps, headaches and felt terrible.

Comment from: wilkpat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am now 70 years old. My PCOS was not diagnosed until I was 36. I had regular periods every 5 weeks very heavy and very painful, plus extreme pain during ovulation time. At the age of 28 I started growing facial hair, stopped being able to diet off weight gain, which continued to increase, and the ovulation pains ceased. Doctors refused to take me seriously when I said something was wrong and gave me more diet sheets. When I was diagnosed in 1977 I was given pills to get the proper hormones working in the pituary gland and when this did not work a operation cutting wedges out of my ovaries. The ovulation pain came back for 3 months then they closed up again. The wedge section caused a large cyst to grow and doctors fears cancer. In 1991 my ovaries were removed and I hoped all was over. However weight gain continued and I am now obese.

Comment from: Goann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I started having irregular cycles when I turned 22. I started adding so much weight, my blood pressure went up and my stomach started to grow. I went to the hospital and was told I had polycystic ovarian disease. I started to take so many drugs and had to undergo alot of tests and scans. Dandruff suddenly increased on my hair. I tried all I could to watch my weight but without success. I am now 28 and the symptoms are still there. My blood pressure is a bit better but the weight is still there. Sometimes I experience pain in my lower abdomen or my ovaries. I wish I could just stop it.

Comment from: melissa08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am 20 years old and I have pcos. I have no periods. Last year I had 2 periods all year. I have not had a regular period in 3 years. I keep gaining weight and I can not lose it. I have very oily skin and acne. I do not have any extra hair but I am scared I will. I want to have kids so bad and I don't think I am going to be able to. I have wanted to have a kid for the past 3 years. I don't know what to do. It is very depressing knowing that I can not have kids.

Comment from: foxysly1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My doc said I had cysts on my ovaries. Now 2 years ago I weighed 118lb.then I start gaining weight real fast. Even I walk exercise and don't eat much. Some days I skip a meal. A month ago I seen my doctor and I weigh 245 lb. then I came back a month later and I gained another 9lb. I don't know why I gain like that. My doc said it could be the cysts but they would make me eat a lot since I told him my intake a day may be 800-1000 calories.

Comment from: kdd girl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Oily skin, problem in conceiving, weight gain, abnormal periods experienced with PCOS.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.