Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was first diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at 17 years old. The first signs were irregular periods and acne. What provoked my first visit to the doctor was facial hair, which I still have to a certain degree, but I don't have to deal with it as often. The tests showed I had cysts, though not the kind they look for, somewhat high testosterone, and somewhat high cholesterol. I have been on birth control since (three years now), and haven't really had issues aside from having to buzz off a very light mustache every so often.

Comment from: Munie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am 31 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS over 2 years ago. My doctor wasn't willing to share any info about this syndrome. My doctor put me on Clomid and Metformin along with prenatal visits. I have issues with being overweight. I do have cysts that were detected, my periods are irregular and bleed non-stop with heavy, prolonged periods. Other than that I do have problem with hair growth. I am married for four year and have been trying for the last 3 years to get pregnant but so far still no luck. Early last year my doctor stop the treatment and I start to developed Type 2 diabetes and i continue to have problem with my period plus the newest I been having menstrual cramp.

Comment from: pablod, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is effects on mood. My wife has PCOS and gets quiet angry and changes mood quickly that the doctor said may be due to elevated male hormone levels. This has effects on the PCOS sufferer's partner and children. Please keep in mind it's not just you that is suffering.

Comment from: aseabolt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 32 year old female who has been fighting with pcos for about 8months now and it is not fun in any way. Around Easter 2011 I found out that pcos was the cause of me having so much abdominal pain and my irregular periods, this started happening when I was 14 and never noticed. I hate being in pain and just want it to go away. What other options do I have, my doctor just put me on the fluid pill today after 8 months of misery, nice right, don't think so. I hope they get this under control because it really sucks!!

Comment from: Patricia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

The day after my 15 birthday I was told that i had POC. I had not had my period for about 3 months and we were getting worried. I have always had acne. The doctors said that i needed to lose wait but it stayed the same until it came back. The day my period came back. I had really bad cramps, headaches and felt terrible.

Comment from: wilkpat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am now 70 years old. My PCOS was not diagnosed until I was 36. I had regular periods every 5 weeks very heavy and very painful, plus extreme pain during ovulation time. At the age of 28 I started growing facial hair, stopped being able to diet off weight gain, which continued to increase, and the ovulation pains ceased. Doctors refused to take me seriously when I said something was wrong and gave me more diet sheets. When I was diagnosed in 1977 I was given pills to get the proper hormones working in the pituary gland and when this did not work a operation cutting wedges out of my ovaries. The ovulation pain came back for 3 months then they closed up again. The wedge section caused a large cyst to grow and doctors fears cancer. In 1991 my ovaries were removed and I hoped all was over. However weight gain continued and I am now obese.

Comment from: Goann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I started having irregular cycles when I turned 22. I started adding so much weight, my blood pressure went up and my stomach started to grow. I went to the hospital and was told I had polycystic ovarian disease. I started to take so many drugs and had to undergo alot of tests and scans. Dandruff suddenly increased on my hair. I tried all I could to watch my weight but without success. I am now 28 and the symptoms are still there. My blood pressure is a bit better but the weight is still there. Sometimes I experience pain in my lower abdomen or my ovaries. I wish I could just stop it.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.