Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 17, but I just now got diagnosed when I was 20 after my first child. I have had irregular periods since age 12. I can go months without them. I have been on Metformin for 2 years now. I hate it because I am always sick on it. I use to be on a hormonal birth control, but now I have an IUD that's much easier. I have thick dark facial hair everywhere on my face. I also have it on my stomach. I have weight problems. I also have the dark patches under my arm and behind my neck.

Comment from: cmellon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 19 years old and I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was 13 years old. I was also diagnosed with high insulin. I would go for months without having a period, and I had major acne. At my biggest I weighed 218 lbs. When I was diagnosed I was put on Metformin and I was referred to a dietician. After about two weeks of taking the Metformin I ended up in the hospital with a severe allergic reaction. I was no longer allowed to take it as prescribed by my doctor. During all of this I was constantly changing birth control. I had been on two or three different types of birth control pills and now I am on the Depo-Provera shot and have had a period for going on three months. I have lost a significant amount of weight as well. I have pretty much done everything and nothing has worked. I'm about to go see my doctor and I need something other than what I am doing.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was first diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at 17 years old. The first signs were irregular periods and acne. What provoked my first visit to the doctor was facial hair, which I still have to a certain degree, but I don't have to deal with it as often. The tests showed I had cysts, though not the kind they look for, somewhat high testosterone, and somewhat high cholesterol. I have been on birth control since (three years now), and haven't really had issues aside from having to buzz off a very light mustache every so often.

Comment from: Munie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am 31 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS over 2 years ago. My doctor wasn't willing to share any info about this syndrome. My doctor put me on Clomid and Metformin along with prenatal visits. I have issues with being overweight. I do have cysts that were detected, my periods are irregular and bleed non-stop with heavy, prolonged periods. Other than that I do have problem with hair growth. I am married for four year and have been trying for the last 3 years to get pregnant but so far still no luck. Early last year my doctor stop the treatment and I start to developed Type 2 diabetes and i continue to have problem with my period plus the newest I been having menstrual cramp.

Comment from: pablod, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is effects on mood. My wife has PCOS and gets quiet angry and changes mood quickly that the doctor said may be due to elevated male hormone levels. This has effects on the PCOS sufferer's partner and children. Please keep in mind it's not just you that is suffering.

Comment from: aseabolt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 32 year old female who has been fighting with pcos for about 8months now and it is not fun in any way. Around Easter 2011 I found out that pcos was the cause of me having so much abdominal pain and my irregular periods, this started happening when I was 14 and never noticed. I hate being in pain and just want it to go away. What other options do I have, my doctor just put me on the fluid pill today after 8 months of misery, nice right, don't think so. I hope they get this under control because it really sucks!!

Comment from: Patricia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

The day after my 15 birthday I was told that i had POC. I had not had my period for about 3 months and we were getting worried. I have always had acne. The doctors said that i needed to lose wait but it stayed the same until it came back. The day my period came back. I had really bad cramps, headaches and felt terrible.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.