Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: March 16

With my PCOS I experienced increased facial hair, infertility and weight gain.

Comment from: kavita, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 24 years old and I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since 15 years old. My periods were irregular, and I used to get a period once every six months. The bleeding was so heavy that it won't stop even after 30 days unless I consult a doctor and take some pill to control the bleeding. Now, the last 5 years, I'm taking Ovral-L which causes my period to occur on a monthly basis but the flow of blood is low. I have some dark spots on my face and my skin is highly pigmented and I don't understand how to deal with the skin problems as I have consulted many skin specialists and now I'm literally fed up. I have already given up and don't think that there is any solution for this. All the doctors just do their experiments with negative results.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 17, but I just now got diagnosed when I was 20 after my first child. I have had irregular periods since age 12. I can go months without them. I have been on Metformin for 2 years now. I hate it because I am always sick on it. I use to be on a hormonal birth control, but now I have an IUD that's much easier. I have thick dark facial hair everywhere on my face. I also have it on my stomach. I have weight problems. I also have the dark patches under my arm and behind my neck.

Comment from: cmellon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 19 years old and I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was 13 years old. I was also diagnosed with high insulin. I would go for months without having a period, and I had major acne. At my biggest I weighed 218 lbs. When I was diagnosed I was put on Metformin and I was referred to a dietician. After about two weeks of taking the Metformin I ended up in the hospital with a severe allergic reaction. I was no longer allowed to take it as prescribed by my doctor. During all of this I was constantly changing birth control. I had been on two or three different types of birth control pills and now I am on the Depo-Provera shot and have had a period for going on three months. I have lost a significant amount of weight as well. I have pretty much done everything and nothing has worked. I'm about to go see my doctor and I need something other than what I am doing.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was first diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at 17 years old. The first signs were irregular periods and acne. What provoked my first visit to the doctor was facial hair, which I still have to a certain degree, but I don't have to deal with it as often. The tests showed I had cysts, though not the kind they look for, somewhat high testosterone, and somewhat high cholesterol. I have been on birth control since (three years now), and haven't really had issues aside from having to buzz off a very light mustache every so often.

Comment from: Munie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am 31 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS over 2 years ago. My doctor wasn't willing to share any info about this syndrome. My doctor put me on Clomid and Metformin along with prenatal visits. I have issues with being overweight. I do have cysts that were detected, my periods are irregular and bleed non-stop with heavy, prolonged periods. Other than that I do have problem with hair growth. I am married for four year and have been trying for the last 3 years to get pregnant but so far still no luck. Early last year my doctor stop the treatment and I start to developed Type 2 diabetes and i continue to have problem with my period plus the newest I been having menstrual cramp.

Comment from: pablod, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned is effects on mood. My wife has PCOS and gets quiet angry and changes mood quickly that the doctor said may be due to elevated male hormone levels. This has effects on the PCOS sufferer's partner and children. Please keep in mind it's not just you that is suffering.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.