Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 7 years ago. My periods have been nonexistent and then so heavy that I am bleeding all over myself and last for months. I gained a lot of weight and have been unable to lose any of it even with working out in the gym 5 to 6 days a week. I changed my diet and I even went as far as not eating but one small meal a day. Nothing was working. Just this year after I switched physicians, I was put on Metformin. Metformin allowed me to lose 10 pounds the first month. I continued to lose a little weight over the next couple weeks and then it all stopped. My periods are still crazy. I get major headaches. I have acne like crazy and I have insanely fast growing hair. If I shave in the morning by midafternoon I have as much hair on my legs as most do after 2 days. I have hot flashes that I call, "My own personal summer." It is all very frustrating. However, I took Metformin and Clomid to get pregnant and I have had 3 children with it! Now that I am done having children, I wish the doctors would just remove my ovaries. I would prefer to take the hormones that my body needs daily rather than deal with everything else that PCOS brings even with the side effects of the hormone replacement.

Comment from: herbkat014, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with PCOS since I was 18 and have been going through a really difficult time. I was even diagnosed with Hyperplasia a-typia of the uterus and now possible ovarian cancer. Ive been begging my doctors to give me a hyterectomy and have had no success they do not want to operate because I am only 30 and no children. Ive had an increase of hirsutism and weight loss has been difficult. I am now going through a lot of pain in the abdomen and nothing is helping. My mood swings are severe and I'm going through bad depressions. I've been having random body aches and to go to the bathroom is the worst. Ive been also diagnosed as a pre-diabetic.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: October 12

I have PCOS as well. I have been overweight for my entire life. I never had a problem with my periods until I was 21 and now I am 27. After I met my husband, I stopped ovulating, continued to get excessive facial hair and gain weight. We tried getting pregnant earlier this year, and I ovulated both months I was on Clomid, but we didn't conceive. I am now on prescription weight-loss medicine and am walking five times a week. I cut out all sweet teas and drink only unsweetened tea, water and diet soda occasionally. I have lost more than 30 pounds in three months. I am planning on having weight-loss surgery next year. A lot of women who have PCOS lose the excess weight and are able to conceive after weight-loss surgery. My insurance pays for the surgery, so I am going to have it performed. I am hoping and praying that once all this is over that I will be able to conceive.

Comment from: leny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have continuous bleeding that is moderate to heavy. I also had an endometrial polyp aside from polycystic ovarian syndrome. I had been through deletion and curettage, but I do still experience unstoppable bleeding.

Comment from: Tiff, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My periods have always been irregular, sometimes I have even went a year without having one. But recently I have started losing hair on the side of my head, and growing hair on my chin. I am overweight now and have extreme pelvic pain from time to time. And of course I have dozens of small cysts on my ovaries. I have recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance, and hypertension as well. Until now I didn't know they were all related.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: March 16

With my PCOS I experienced increased facial hair, infertility and weight gain.

Comment from: kavita, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 24 years old and I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since 15 years old. My periods were irregular, and I used to get a period once every six months. The bleeding was so heavy that it won't stop even after 30 days unless I consult a doctor and take some pill to control the bleeding. Now, the last 5 years, I'm taking Ovral-L which causes my period to occur on a monthly basis but the flow of blood is low. I have some dark spots on my face and my skin is highly pigmented and I don't understand how to deal with the skin problems as I have consulted many skin specialists and now I'm literally fed up. I have already given up and don't think that there is any solution for this. All the doctors just do their experiments with negative results.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.