Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: coping girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I remember my very first menstruation at 9 as being very painful. Since then, I've had dysmenorrhea. I got used to painful and irregular menstruation. When I started working, I had gained so much weight; I became obese despite my efforts to diet and exercise. When my period stopped for almost a year, I was grateful that there was no more pain. Then, I suddenly had a heavy period and got scared. I went to the doctor and learned I have PCOS. I felt so down. I still remember how my physician tactfully tried to explain to me that I probably would not be able to get pregnant. I did not get married because I am infertile.

Comment from: mik, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Since first getting my period at age 13, my cycles have been irregular. My doctor told me this was normal and not to worry. At age 17, I started taking birth control pills. At 19, three months after I gave birth to my daughter, I had a horrible pain in my lower abdomen. My doctor said the pain would go away. I even asked about PCOS but was told I didn't have it. One year later, the pain was still there, along with extra-oily skin, dandruff, high blood pressure, and horrible mood swings. I finally went to a different doctor, who suggested an ultrasound and blood tests. Two days later, I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor was amazed that I was able to get pregnant on the pill while having PCOS

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been reading this to see what the chances are of my daughter having pocs. My mother had it and had an operation in the 50's and then she had two daughters (including myself). I had periods at first but they stopped when I went to college. I have not been overweight, but have oily skin and dark hair on my arms, legs and lips (but I am also eastern European). I took birth control in college and then when I married and wanted children it took 5 years; 2 without drugs, 3 years including a miscarriage and clomid. I had a beautiful daughter and then had a son 2 years later with no drugs. I then had periods and just went thru menopause. My daughter has periods but gets cysts all the time. I am hoping I have not passed this on to her.

Comment from: Kylie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I'm 17 years old almost 18 and I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome for about two years now. I haven't had my period in almost two years and recently started. It has been a constant struggle plucking the facial hairs and buying the overnight pads that are only working for about an hour. Yes, I'm overweight but even eating right and exercising is only making my periods worse. Ladies, sometimes exercising is the best thing even though it makes your period worse. We all need to get as much as we can out because we never know the next time we will get our periods.

Comment from: Vaheesta, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

Since I got my periods at the age of 10 I have had a continuous struggle with weight, I also developed hair all over my body. I have heavy bleeding during each period and cramps from the day I ovulate till the third day of my period. Since the last couple of years I also suffer pain on the days I ovulate on my side and back. However one symptom of PCOS I don't have is irregular periods. I have had a regular 28 day cycle with ovulation every 10th day since almost the beginning. I didn't know I had PCOS until I delivered my son and my OB-GYN told me. This surprised me since I have been to other doctors before for the heavy bleeding, pain and cramps. The biggest problem is weight which is very very difficult to manage.

Comment from: zzzzzzzzz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I am 25 year old and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome about 5 months ago. I have been suffering with severe abdominal, pelvic and lower back pain for past one year. My pain starts as my menstruation date gets closer and extends for 4-5 days then ends as the bleeding starts. I consulted a gynecologist and she prescribed me metformin. I am not obese. I don't have excessive facial hair growth, and don't have acne either.

Comment from: Vaiseyangel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Weight gain and difficulty losing weight are symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome for me. I also have very thick and dark facial hair that is frustrating and embarrassing. I have, however, with a lot of hard work, lost a lot of the weight in the last two years and that has helped my period to be more regular (I used to only get it three times a year).

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.