Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been reading this to see what the chances are of my daughter having pocs. My mother had it and had an operation in the 50's and then she had two daughters (including myself). I had periods at first but they stopped when I went to college. I have not been overweight, but have oily skin and dark hair on my arms, legs and lips (but I am also eastern European). I took birth control in college and then when I married and wanted children it took 5 years; 2 without drugs, 3 years including a miscarriage and clomid. I had a beautiful daughter and then had a son 2 years later with no drugs. I then had periods and just went thru menopause. My daughter has periods but gets cysts all the time. I am hoping I have not passed this on to her.

Comment from: Kylie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I'm 17 years old almost 18 and I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome for about two years now. I haven't had my period in almost two years and recently started. It has been a constant struggle plucking the facial hairs and buying the overnight pads that are only working for about an hour. Yes, I'm overweight but even eating right and exercising is only making my periods worse. Ladies, sometimes exercising is the best thing even though it makes your period worse. We all need to get as much as we can out because we never know the next time we will get our periods.

Comment from: Vaheesta, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

Since I got my periods at the age of 10 I have had a continuous struggle with weight, I also developed hair all over my body. I have heavy bleeding during each period and cramps from the day I ovulate till the third day of my period. Since the last couple of years I also suffer pain on the days I ovulate on my side and back. However one symptom of PCOS I don't have is irregular periods. I have had a regular 28 day cycle with ovulation every 10th day since almost the beginning. I didn't know I had PCOS until I delivered my son and my OB-GYN told me. This surprised me since I have been to other doctors before for the heavy bleeding, pain and cramps. The biggest problem is weight which is very very difficult to manage.

Comment from: zzzzzzzzz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I am 25 year old and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome about 5 months ago. I have been suffering with severe abdominal, pelvic and lower back pain for past one year. My pain starts as my menstruation date gets closer and extends for 4-5 days then ends as the bleeding starts. I consulted a gynecologist and she prescribed me metformin. I am not obese. I don't have excessive facial hair growth, and don't have acne either.

Comment from: Vaiseyangel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Weight gain and difficulty losing weight are symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome for me. I also have very thick and dark facial hair that is frustrating and embarrassing. I have, however, with a lot of hard work, lost a lot of the weight in the last two years and that has helped my period to be more regular (I used to only get it three times a year).

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 7 years ago. My periods have been nonexistent and then so heavy that I am bleeding all over myself and last for months. I gained a lot of weight and have been unable to lose any of it even with working out in the gym 5 to 6 days a week. I changed my diet and I even went as far as not eating but one small meal a day. Nothing was working. Just this year after I switched physicians, I was put on Metformin. Metformin allowed me to lose 10 pounds the first month. I continued to lose a little weight over the next couple weeks and then it all stopped. My periods are still crazy. I get major headaches. I have acne like crazy and I have insanely fast growing hair. If I shave in the morning by midafternoon I have as much hair on my legs as most do after 2 days. I have hot flashes that I call, "My own personal summer." It is all very frustrating. However, I took Metformin and Clomid to get pregnant and I have had 3 children with it! Now that I am done having children, I wish the doctors would just remove my ovaries. I would prefer to take the hormones that my body needs daily rather than deal with everything else that PCOS brings even with the side effects of the hormone replacement.

Comment from: herbkat014, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with PCOS since I was 18 and have been going through a really difficult time. I was even diagnosed with Hyperplasia a-typia of the uterus and now possible ovarian cancer. Ive been begging my doctors to give me a hyterectomy and have had no success they do not want to operate because I am only 30 and no children. Ive had an increase of hirsutism and weight loss has been difficult. I am now going through a lot of pain in the abdomen and nothing is helping. My mood swings are severe and I'm going through bad depressions. I've been having random body aches and to go to the bathroom is the worst. Ive been also diagnosed as a pre-diabetic.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.