Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Rawrr, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Hi, I'm 18 and just been diagnosed with PCOS. I have always had irregular periods and was put on the pill 6 months after I started getting my period at 14. My Mom and her Mom suffer from PCOS and they put me straight on the high risk pill For PCOS. In the last couple of months I've been having a sharp pain in my right side that prevents me from lifting, pushing, pulling and even sex hurts. At first they thought it was a bladder infection or my appendix but they finally sent me for a ultrasound and found that my right side ovary is riddled in cysts and is very inflamed. I stopped taking the pill in January because me and my partner want to try for a baby since stopping the pill the pain is a lot worse and my periods are not regular. I haven't had one in nearly two months and my skin is really bad on my back, chest and face .

Comment from: ShellyR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was recently told I had PCOS. My problems have always been heavy cramping and long periods since puberty. At 16, I was put on birth control and had to get off around 24 because I suddenly bled continuously until I stopped the pill. I tried four types. I stayed off for years, and I had seven full days of miserable periods. I would PMS for weeks beforehand, and I gained 40 pounds. I had painful intercourse. My period was irregular to the point where it felt as if it would start but then didn't. Most recently -- I'm 30 now -- on Christmas day, I started what was supposed to be my period. It went on for two weeks, stopped for five days, and has continued to today. That's two months of excessive bleeding, anemia, muscle cramps as if someone was yanking out my insides, bowel cramps, excessive hair growth on my face, high anxiety, crying excessively over frustration, etc. One doctor put me on low estrogen for three months while I pled for something faster. I changed doctors and am waiting to start a different birth control next week. I've had internal and external ultrasounds, blood work, pap smears -- and all tests came back fine. I know I'm not fine.

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had PCOS for the past 10 years and didn't even know it until two years ago. I have always had irregular periods, but they never lasted more than seven days. All of a sudden in September of 2008, I noticed excessive hair growth on my face, and I had debilitating cramps. They were so bad that I went to the hospital because we thought I was miscarrying or something. They did an ultrasound and found five fibroids about the size of oranges, dosed me up with morphine for the pain, and sent me home. I was in shock when my period just didn't stop. I had a full blown period for more than six months and went to the doctor several times but all they would tell me is I was fat and needed to lose weight. One day I was looking for some vitamins in a health food store for my mother, and I saw a brand called WomenSense. I told the lady at the register that I had fibroid tumors and she suggested three vitamins that helped her and gave me the name of her doctor who was the one to finally diagnose me. Since then, I now take Adrenasense, Thyrosense, and Estrosense and have been watching my diet and exercising four times a week. My periods were regulated in the first two months of taking the vitamins and the doctor hasn't had to put me on any meds at all. Please give these vitamins a chance! They have saved my sanity!

Comment from: miracle mom, 45-54 Female Published: February 10

At 16 I had severe cramping and heavy irregular periods, at 17 my doctor put me on birth control and periods got better but I was in agony every month at the time I should be ovulating. Stopped taking pills. At 18 I was so ill I couldn't hardly get out of bed and on day 4 of this is when my mom rushed me to emergency because I couldn't even crawl to the bathroom, couldn't eat or drink because I couldn't keep anything down. A scope showed a mess of infection throughout my abdominal cavity. A large cyst had ruptured and pretty much everything was glued together with the infection. After being released from the hospital they said it was my choice to have surgery or not, I chose not. Still no firm diagnosis. At 19 one sudden jump caused another to burst. Immediately rushed to emergency and went for the surgery, I couldn't take being in pain every month. They removed pretty much all of one ovary; they left a "wisp" for hormones and half of my other ovary. They told my parents I probably would never have children. Well that was 32 years ago, I am sure PCOS was not "discovered" at that point. I have 5 children all conceived naturally and I consider myself lucky, but when a doctor tells me that something was never going to happen. I have a hard time believing that! I kept my pathology report so in case any of my daughters have any issues we have a history. It helps things move along faster.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.