Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: miracle mom, 45-54 Female Published: February 10

At 16 I had severe cramping and heavy irregular periods, at 17 my doctor put me on birth control and periods got better but I was in agony every month at the time I should be ovulating. Stopped taking pills. At 18 I was so ill I couldn't hardly get out of bed and on day 4 of this is when my mom rushed me to emergency because I couldn't even crawl to the bathroom, couldn't eat or drink because I couldn't keep anything down. A scope showed a mess of infection throughout my abdominal cavity. A large cyst had ruptured and pretty much everything was glued together with the infection. After being released from the hospital they said it was my choice to have surgery or not, I chose not. Still no firm diagnosis. At 19 one sudden jump caused another to burst. Immediately rushed to emergency and went for the surgery, I couldn't take being in pain every month. They removed pretty much all of one ovary; they left a "wisp" for hormones and half of my other ovary. They told my parents I probably would never have children. Well that was 32 years ago, I am sure PCOS was not "discovered" at that point. I have 5 children all conceived naturally and I consider myself lucky, but when a doctor tells me that something was never going to happen. I have a hard time believing that! I kept my pathology report so in case any of my daughters have any issues we have a history. It helps things move along faster.

Comment from: qurat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 26 years old, married and have been trying to conceive. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with PCOS, although I have no signs or symptoms. I've had two cycles of Clomid – but so far, no result.

Comment from: coping girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I remember my very first menstruation at 9 as being very painful. Since then, I've had dysmenorrhea. I got used to painful and irregular menstruation. When I started working, I had gained so much weight; I became obese despite my efforts to diet and exercise. When my period stopped for almost a year, I was grateful that there was no more pain. Then, I suddenly had a heavy period and got scared. I went to the doctor and learned I have PCOS. I felt so down. I still remember how my physician tactfully tried to explain to me that I probably would not be able to get pregnant. I did not get married because I am infertile.

Comment from: mik, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Since first getting my period at age 13, my cycles have been irregular. My doctor told me this was normal and not to worry. At age 17, I started taking birth control pills. At 19, three months after I gave birth to my daughter, I had a horrible pain in my lower abdomen. My doctor said the pain would go away. I even asked about PCOS but was told I didn't have it. One year later, the pain was still there, along with extra-oily skin, dandruff, high blood pressure, and horrible mood swings. I finally went to a different doctor, who suggested an ultrasound and blood tests. Two days later, I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor was amazed that I was able to get pregnant on the pill while having PCOS

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have been reading this to see what the chances are of my daughter having pocs. My mother had it and had an operation in the 50's and then she had two daughters (including myself). I had periods at first but they stopped when I went to college. I have not been overweight, but have oily skin and dark hair on my arms, legs and lips (but I am also eastern European). I took birth control in college and then when I married and wanted children it took 5 years; 2 without drugs, 3 years including a miscarriage and clomid. I had a beautiful daughter and then had a son 2 years later with no drugs. I then had periods and just went thru menopause. My daughter has periods but gets cysts all the time. I am hoping I have not passed this on to her.

Comment from: Kylie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I'm 17 years old almost 18 and I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome for about two years now. I haven't had my period in almost two years and recently started. It has been a constant struggle plucking the facial hairs and buying the overnight pads that are only working for about an hour. Yes, I'm overweight but even eating right and exercising is only making my periods worse. Ladies, sometimes exercising is the best thing even though it makes your period worse. We all need to get as much as we can out because we never know the next time we will get our periods.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.