Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had PCOS for the past 10 years and didn't even know it until two years ago. I have always had irregular periods, but they never lasted more than seven days. All of a sudden in September of 2008, I noticed excessive hair growth on my face, and I had debilitating cramps. They were so bad that I went to the hospital because we thought I was miscarrying or something. They did an ultrasound and found five fibroids about the size of oranges, dosed me up with morphine for the pain, and sent me home. I was in shock when my period just didn't stop. I had a full blown period for more than six months and went to the doctor several times but all they would tell me is I was fat and needed to lose weight. One day I was looking for some vitamins in a health food store for my mother, and I saw a brand called WomenSense. I told the lady at the register that I had fibroid tumors and she suggested three vitamins that helped her and gave me the name of her doctor who was the one to finally diagnose me. Since then, I now take Adrenasense, Thyrosense, and Estrosense and have been watching my diet and exercising four times a week. My periods were regulated in the first two months of taking the vitamins and the doctor hasn't had to put me on any meds at all. Please give these vitamins a chance! They have saved my sanity!

Comment from: miracle mom, 45-54 Female Published: February 10

At 16 I had severe cramping and heavy irregular periods, at 17 my doctor put me on birth control and periods got better but I was in agony every month at the time I should be ovulating. Stopped taking pills. At 18 I was so ill I couldn't hardly get out of bed and on day 4 of this is when my mom rushed me to emergency because I couldn't even crawl to the bathroom, couldn't eat or drink because I couldn't keep anything down. A scope showed a mess of infection throughout my abdominal cavity. A large cyst had ruptured and pretty much everything was glued together with the infection. After being released from the hospital they said it was my choice to have surgery or not, I chose not. Still no firm diagnosis. At 19 one sudden jump caused another to burst. Immediately rushed to emergency and went for the surgery, I couldn't take being in pain every month. They removed pretty much all of one ovary; they left a "wisp" for hormones and half of my other ovary. They told my parents I probably would never have children. Well that was 32 years ago, I am sure PCOS was not "discovered" at that point. I have 5 children all conceived naturally and I consider myself lucky, but when a doctor tells me that something was never going to happen. I have a hard time believing that! I kept my pathology report so in case any of my daughters have any issues we have a history. It helps things move along faster.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My wife had pcos for 3 years. She will get periods only when she will take tablets. Otherwise she won't get periods. Sometimes she won't get periods for 6-7 months. We got married 2 months ago. Is it possible 4 my wife to get pregnant with pcos or after the cure of pcos. Please suggest an idea for her to get rid of pcos. She is getting depressed because of pcos.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: July 17

I am was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome when I was 14. I had random periods that were always horrible and heavy. I developed hair growth on my face and body along with weight gain. The only thing I didn't get was acne. I worked off the excess weight and watch my caffine and salt in take because I have noticed it causes my body to cramp worse.. That's all I have been able to control naturally. I have had 2 different laproscopic surgeries for either cysts rupturing or removal of cysts on my ovaries. I am now 31 I have learned that every case is different. I haven't found any over the counter meds that help. I have taken everything from Estrogen tablets to Glucophage to the depo provera shots and nothing has helped. I only ovulate 4 times a year where as normal females ovulate 12. I have inherited the pcos from my mother side of the family. I am the youngest of 3 girls and I am the only one that it has hit out of my siblings. In my personal trials with polycystic ovarian syndrome it has been debilitating mentally and physically and emotionally. I really think that more research needs to be founded in this area. I and my family have thought that maybe that a hysterectomy would help so I talked it over with my Doctor and it was explained to me that, In the pain and period part of my pcos it would help. But in long term effect it would not help hormonally and put me at more risk for Cancer. So after that I'm thinking about getting a second opinion about the surgery. I have felt so bad for so long.. I will not give up Hope that there is help out there somewhere..

Comment from: qurat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am 26 years old, married and have been trying to conceive. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with PCOS, although I have no signs or symptoms. I've had two cycles of Clomid – but so far, no result.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.