Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: ROCA7273, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I'm 38 years old and I was diagnosed maybe 5 years ago with PCOS, after jumping from doctor to doctor, insurances, and hospitals. Finally I went to Kaiser where I was diagnosed. My symptoms were irregular periods with long absences in between. Hair growth on my chin, lower back pain, heavy clots, heavy bleeding and weight gain which was hard to lose and keep off. Partly caused my divorce when we went for infertility treatments. I was put on birth control and metformin because I became pre diabetic. I weaned myself off both medicines and started taking primrose gel pills. I've gotten my period regularly these past 8 months. My sister also started taking primrose pills and noticed changes with her cycles. Neither of us have children. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Dawn21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was 14 years old when I was diagnosed with PCOS I had started my period when I was in the 6th grade and went a year without a period before I was diagnosed. I am 21 years old now, when I first was diagnosed I had gained around a 100 pounds and my hair was thinning. The only other symptom I had was the lack of period. I now suffer from severe cysts on my ovaries. I started having severe pain on my right side around a year and a half ago and saw 3 doctors before one took enough interest in me to do an ultrasound and find out what was troubling me. The found that my right ovary was riddled with cysts. I have asked my doctor to do the surgery to remove them but she refuses. I suffer everyday with severe pain in my lower abdomen. I wish I could find a doctor willing to treat my problem not my symptoms.

Comment from: Rawrr, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Hi, I'm 18 and just been diagnosed with PCOS. I have always had irregular periods and was put on the pill 6 months after I started getting my period at 14. My Mom and her Mom suffer from PCOS and they put me straight on the high risk pill For PCOS. In the last couple of months I've been having a sharp pain in my right side that prevents me from lifting, pushing, pulling and even sex hurts. At first they thought it was a bladder infection or my appendix but they finally sent me for a ultrasound and found that my right side ovary is riddled in cysts and is very inflamed. I stopped taking the pill in January because me and my partner want to try for a baby since stopping the pill the pain is a lot worse and my periods are not regular. I haven't had one in nearly two months and my skin is really bad on my back, chest and face .

Published: July 15

I have been diagnosed with PCOS over 5 years ago now. I had irregular periods, bloating, headaches etc. When my periods went on for 2 months I asked my doctor to refer me to a specialist in a larger city because I didn't feel my gyno was really getting what was going on. With further investigation at a specialist private hospital they found the cyst on my pituitary gland(micro)with an MRI. When I said to my specialist I'd already done one of those, and they thought I "might" have the cyst, he said very often they don't know what theyr'e looking at and not specifically trained to see these things! Anyway, a laporoscopy was scheduled and during this they found a polyp on the front of my uterus that was "acting" like an IUD and obviously causing the continual bleeding that was leaving me exhausted and emotional. 1 month after surgery I fell pregnant with my now 5 year old son and 2 years later had my baby girl. I find I feel better being within my BMI (weight index for my height etc) and I hope my story can help with someone's situation.

Comment from: ShellyR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was recently told I had PCOS. My problems have always been heavy cramping and long periods since puberty. At 16, I was put on birth control and had to get off around 24 because I suddenly bled continuously until I stopped the pill. I tried four types. I stayed off for years, and I had seven full days of miserable periods. I would PMS for weeks beforehand, and I gained 40 pounds. I had painful intercourse. My period was irregular to the point where it felt as if it would start but then didn't. Most recently -- I'm 30 now -- on Christmas day, I started what was supposed to be my period. It went on for two weeks, stopped for five days, and has continued to today. That's two months of excessive bleeding, anemia, muscle cramps as if someone was yanking out my insides, bowel cramps, excessive hair growth on my face, high anxiety, crying excessively over frustration, etc. One doctor put me on low estrogen for three months while I pled for something faster. I changed doctors and am waiting to start a different birth control next week. I've had internal and external ultrasounds, blood work, pap smears -- and all tests came back fine. I know I'm not fine.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.