Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Dawn21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was 14 years old when I was diagnosed with PCOS I had started my period when I was in the 6th grade and went a year without a period before I was diagnosed. I am 21 years old now, when I first was diagnosed I had gained around a 100 pounds and my hair was thinning. The only other symptom I had was the lack of period. I now suffer from severe cysts on my ovaries. I started having severe pain on my right side around a year and a half ago and saw 3 doctors before one took enough interest in me to do an ultrasound and find out what was troubling me. The found that my right ovary was riddled with cysts. I have asked my doctor to do the surgery to remove them but she refuses. I suffer everyday with severe pain in my lower abdomen. I wish I could find a doctor willing to treat my problem not my symptoms.

Comment from: Rawrr, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Hi, I'm 18 and just been diagnosed with PCOS. I have always had irregular periods and was put on the pill 6 months after I started getting my period at 14. My Mom and her Mom suffer from PCOS and they put me straight on the high risk pill For PCOS. In the last couple of months I've been having a sharp pain in my right side that prevents me from lifting, pushing, pulling and even sex hurts. At first they thought it was a bladder infection or my appendix but they finally sent me for a ultrasound and found that my right side ovary is riddled in cysts and is very inflamed. I stopped taking the pill in January because me and my partner want to try for a baby since stopping the pill the pain is a lot worse and my periods are not regular. I haven't had one in nearly two months and my skin is really bad on my back, chest and face .

Published: July 15

I have been diagnosed with PCOS over 5 years ago now. I had irregular periods, bloating, headaches etc. When my periods went on for 2 months I asked my doctor to refer me to a specialist in a larger city because I didn't feel my gyno was really getting what was going on. With further investigation at a specialist private hospital they found the cyst on my pituitary gland(micro)with an MRI. When I said to my specialist I'd already done one of those, and they thought I "might" have the cyst, he said very often they don't know what theyr'e looking at and not specifically trained to see these things! Anyway, a laporoscopy was scheduled and during this they found a polyp on the front of my uterus that was "acting" like an IUD and obviously causing the continual bleeding that was leaving me exhausted and emotional. 1 month after surgery I fell pregnant with my now 5 year old son and 2 years later had my baby girl. I find I feel better being within my BMI (weight index for my height etc) and I hope my story can help with someone's situation.

Comment from: ShellyR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was recently told I had PCOS. My problems have always been heavy cramping and long periods since puberty. At 16, I was put on birth control and had to get off around 24 because I suddenly bled continuously until I stopped the pill. I tried four types. I stayed off for years, and I had seven full days of miserable periods. I would PMS for weeks beforehand, and I gained 40 pounds. I had painful intercourse. My period was irregular to the point where it felt as if it would start but then didn't. Most recently -- I'm 30 now -- on Christmas day, I started what was supposed to be my period. It went on for two weeks, stopped for five days, and has continued to today. That's two months of excessive bleeding, anemia, muscle cramps as if someone was yanking out my insides, bowel cramps, excessive hair growth on my face, high anxiety, crying excessively over frustration, etc. One doctor put me on low estrogen for three months while I pled for something faster. I changed doctors and am waiting to start a different birth control next week. I've had internal and external ultrasounds, blood work, pap smears -- and all tests came back fine. I know I'm not fine.

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had PCOS for the past 10 years and didn't even know it until two years ago. I have always had irregular periods, but they never lasted more than seven days. All of a sudden in September of 2008, I noticed excessive hair growth on my face, and I had debilitating cramps. They were so bad that I went to the hospital because we thought I was miscarrying or something. They did an ultrasound and found five fibroids about the size of oranges, dosed me up with morphine for the pain, and sent me home. I was in shock when my period just didn't stop. I had a full blown period for more than six months and went to the doctor several times but all they would tell me is I was fat and needed to lose weight. One day I was looking for some vitamins in a health food store for my mother, and I saw a brand called WomenSense. I told the lady at the register that I had fibroid tumors and she suggested three vitamins that helped her and gave me the name of her doctor who was the one to finally diagnose me. Since then, I now take Adrenasense, Thyrosense, and Estrosense and have been watching my diet and exercising four times a week. My periods were regulated in the first two months of taking the vitamins and the doctor hasn't had to put me on any meds at all. Please give these vitamins a chance! They have saved my sanity!

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.