Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: pcosprincess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 years old. I was taken to the doctor when I turned 16 and still had not had my first period. My endocrinologist at the time prescribed a high dose of Metormin but did little else. It had no effect on me at the time. Later, a gynecologist prescribed Medroxyprogesterone to start my period and then birth control to maintain it. I've been on hormonal birth control ever since to maintain regular periods and prevent uterine cancer. I haven't had many cysts, and the few that I did have erupted when I was in my teens. I am however obese (but working on it with the help of an amazing doctor who also has PCOS and really knows what she's talking about). I also have a lot of excess facial hair and body hair growth. I grow thick hair in small patches around my chin and jawline that I pluck and also grow finer hair on my lower stomach and butt that I can shave. My insulin level is currently at 25 (normal is 3-25) and my doctor has set a goal for me to reduce it to 18-20 with diet (high protein/low carb) and exercising 3-4x a week. I'm still currently on 500 mg of Metformin a day and currently using the NuvaRing as my hormonal birth control.

Comment from: Nanzapp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed at the age of about 15 years old. At about 18 I started losing my hair not a lot just in the middle I have a bit of a bald spot. I almost never got my periods and at 15 that was great I was put on metphormin but refused to take it due to the "icky" taste because I couldn't swallow pills I had to take the liquid form. Anyway, I've always wanted kids just not right now I am only 19 and single. But with the PCOS I get sent to the hospital because my period cramps are so bad I can't stand up at all. I've been on my period for about 6 months right now some days are lighter than others but I'm going to the doctor in March for some sort of treatment because I can't live like this anymore.

Comment from: bellablue, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was diagnosed at 16 with pcos, at the time my only real symptom was extreme irregular cycles. I'm now 26 and have trouble getting pregnant I have 1 child out of the blue, I still don't have regular cycles unless on BC. After having my child I now grow facial hair, I have blood sugar problems, I don't need to take insulin but my blood sugar can drop at any time and I have to carry glucose tablets. My fingers swell up, and I'm starting to go bald. The only thing I haven't seemed to get yet is a weight problem or high BP or cholesterol.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18, although I'm not insulin resistant, I do have trouble losing weight although my BMI is right in the middle of the healthy range. My biggest symptoms are hair loss from my head, thicker and excessive facial hair, acne, and irritation/depression.

Comment from: neha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

1 year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS, but the most interesting thing is I don't have any problem with menstruation. My cycle is very regular; my follicle size when checked on 14th day of my cycle is 24mm. This was the main reason that I didn't get to know about it at the early stage. The major and very embarrassing problem I faced is excessive hair lose. I lost my 45% hair because of this, but I am taking Ayurveda medicine of dong-quai root which contains phytoestrogen and not a steroid and there is lot of improvement in my condition without ant side effect. As being pharmacist I know that steroidal structure is not required for estrogenic activity. I am taking walnuts, soybean, almonds, flaxseed, dates and green tea. Trust me if you are having this problem start taking these all. It will definitely help you as it helped me.

Comment from: Shelly, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 28

I was diagnosed with PCOS in November 2011 at the age of 22 years. I actually thought I was pregnant when I missed my period for 3months and I went from 98 pounds to 103 pounds and I had cravings sweet foods, extra hair on my face and skin, mood swings, depression and I just felt ugly. I had 3 negative p/tests that's when I decided to visit my doctor and was diagnosed. He gave me norculut for my period and I am still waiting to see the result of that. His advice was to try to get pregnant sooner than later to secure a child in my lifetime. I don't have a partner but I'll find one to conceive with.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.