Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: bellablue, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was diagnosed at 16 with pcos, at the time my only real symptom was extreme irregular cycles. I'm now 26 and have trouble getting pregnant I have 1 child out of the blue, I still don't have regular cycles unless on BC. After having my child I now grow facial hair, I have blood sugar problems, I don't need to take insulin but my blood sugar can drop at any time and I have to carry glucose tablets. My fingers swell up, and I'm starting to go bald. The only thing I haven't seemed to get yet is a weight problem or high BP or cholesterol.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18, although I'm not insulin resistant, I do have trouble losing weight although my BMI is right in the middle of the healthy range. My biggest symptoms are hair loss from my head, thicker and excessive facial hair, acne, and irritation/depression.

Comment from: neha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

1 year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS, but the most interesting thing is I don't have any problem with menstruation. My cycle is very regular; my follicle size when checked on 14th day of my cycle is 24mm. This was the main reason that I didn't get to know about it at the early stage. The major and very embarrassing problem I faced is excessive hair lose. I lost my 45% hair because of this, but I am taking Ayurveda medicine of dong-quai root which contains phytoestrogen and not a steroid and there is lot of improvement in my condition without ant side effect. As being pharmacist I know that steroidal structure is not required for estrogenic activity. I am taking walnuts, soybean, almonds, flaxseed, dates and green tea. Trust me if you are having this problem start taking these all. It will definitely help you as it helped me.

Comment from: Shelly, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 28

I was diagnosed with PCOS in November 2011 at the age of 22 years. I actually thought I was pregnant when I missed my period for 3months and I went from 98 pounds to 103 pounds and I had cravings sweet foods, extra hair on my face and skin, mood swings, depression and I just felt ugly. I had 3 negative p/tests that's when I decided to visit my doctor and was diagnosed. He gave me norculut for my period and I am still waiting to see the result of that. His advice was to try to get pregnant sooner than later to secure a child in my lifetime. I don't have a partner but I'll find one to conceive with.

Comment from: Allison, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I'm 19 years old and was just recently diagnosed with PCOS a little over a month ago. My periods weren't irregular until my mother passed away 2 years ago. I'm assuming that made my hormones go crazy. I experience excessive hair growth on my face and neck. Along with dark patches of skin underneath my arms, on the outside of my hips, and the inside of my thighs. I'm anxious more often than not. I'm hoping to find cures for all of these symptoms soon.

Comment from: Young_Girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I am 15 years old and was recently diagonsed with PCOS. I had a regular period for a year then continously missed it for months on end, then when I did get it, my periods caused me to have severe cramps. I also suffered from bad acne, oily hair and I didn't know at that time that I had it. My mum has one ovary that suffers from it, I got the full thing. I have now been on the pill for 2 months and have started to get bad pains again even when I'm not on my period.

Comment from: ROCA7273, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I'm 38 years old and I was diagnosed maybe 5 years ago with PCOS, after jumping from doctor to doctor, insurances, and hospitals. Finally I went to Kaiser where I was diagnosed. My symptoms were irregular periods with long absences in between. Hair growth on my chin, lower back pain, heavy clots, heavy bleeding and weight gain which was hard to lose and keep off. Partly caused my divorce when we went for infertility treatments. I was put on birth control and metformin because I became pre diabetic. I weaned myself off both medicines and started taking primrose gel pills. I've gotten my period regularly these past 8 months. My sister also started taking primrose pills and noticed changes with her cycles. Neither of us have children. Hope this helps.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.