Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My wife had pcos for 3 years. She will get periods only when she will take tablets. Otherwise she won't get periods. Sometimes she won't get periods for 6-7 months. We got married 2 months ago. Is it possible 4 my wife to get pregnant with pcos or after the cure of pcos. Please suggest an idea for her to get rid of pcos. She is getting depressed because of pcos.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: July 17

I am was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome when I was 14. I had random periods that were always horrible and heavy. I developed hair growth on my face and body along with weight gain. The only thing I didn't get was acne. I worked off the excess weight and watch my caffine and salt in take because I have noticed it causes my body to cramp worse.. That's all I have been able to control naturally. I have had 2 different laproscopic surgeries for either cysts rupturing or removal of cysts on my ovaries. I am now 31 I have learned that every case is different. I haven't found any over the counter meds that help. I have taken everything from Estrogen tablets to Glucophage to the depo provera shots and nothing has helped. I only ovulate 4 times a year where as normal females ovulate 12. I have inherited the pcos from my mother side of the family. I am the youngest of 3 girls and I am the only one that it has hit out of my siblings. In my personal trials with polycystic ovarian syndrome it has been debilitating mentally and physically and emotionally. I really think that more research needs to be founded in this area. I and my family have thought that maybe that a hysterectomy would help so I talked it over with my Doctor and it was explained to me that, In the pain and period part of my pcos it would help. But in long term effect it would not help hormonally and put me at more risk for Cancer. So after that I'm thinking about getting a second opinion about the surgery. I have felt so bad for so long.. I will not give up Hope that there is help out there somewhere..

Comment from: Icanttell, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am fifteen years old. I have PCOS. I have gained a lot of weight around my waist, the back of my neck and armpits are darker than what it used to be. I feel anxious and often very sorrowful. I try to calm myself by telling myself that god is testing me. I have problems with settling my pimples, I am undergoing treatment for it. I may have high levels of thyroid too; I still have to undergo more tests to see how serious it is.

Comment from: JIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

The symptoms of my polycystic ovarian syndrome started with an irregular cycle, when I was 25 years old. I did not develop acne or hirsutism. I am having difficulty in conceiving. I have been trying for six months now. My ultrasound scan showed that my right ovary has multiple cysts, whereas my left ovary was normal. My LH and FSH are in the normal range, but the ratio is 1:1. I have taken three cycles of Clomid, but it was of no use.

Comment from: pcosprincess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 years old. I was taken to the doctor when I turned 16 and still had not had my first period. My endocrinologist at the time prescribed a high dose of Metormin but did little else. It had no effect on me at the time. Later, a gynecologist prescribed Medroxyprogesterone to start my period and then birth control to maintain it. I've been on hormonal birth control ever since to maintain regular periods and prevent uterine cancer. I haven't had many cysts, and the few that I did have erupted when I was in my teens. I am however obese (but working on it with the help of an amazing doctor who also has PCOS and really knows what she's talking about). I also have a lot of excess facial hair and body hair growth. I grow thick hair in small patches around my chin and jawline that I pluck and also grow finer hair on my lower stomach and butt that I can shave. My insulin level is currently at 25 (normal is 3-25) and my doctor has set a goal for me to reduce it to 18-20 with diet (high protein/low carb) and exercising 3-4x a week. I'm still currently on 500 mg of Metformin a day and currently using the NuvaRing as my hormonal birth control.

Comment from: Nanzapp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed at the age of about 15 years old. At about 18 I started losing my hair not a lot just in the middle I have a bit of a bald spot. I almost never got my periods and at 15 that was great I was put on metphormin but refused to take it due to the "icky" taste because I couldn't swallow pills I had to take the liquid form. Anyway, I've always wanted kids just not right now I am only 19 and single. But with the PCOS I get sent to the hospital because my period cramps are so bad I can't stand up at all. I've been on my period for about 6 months right now some days are lighter than others but I'm going to the doctor in March for some sort of treatment because I can't live like this anymore.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.