Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: newme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 49 year old nurse that has been suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since diagnosed at 19 years old. I had very irregular, heavy, and painful periods since puberty. I also had excessive facial hair and easily gained weight as an adolescent. I have only to look to my mother and grandmother to see my problem because they have all the same symptoms. My mother and grandmother also have type II diabetes. I have radically changed the two things that can fuel PCOS and insulin resistance. Diet and exercise are the best tools that you have. Eliminate all bread and sugars from your diet. It is not perfect, but it works for weight control. I also have the Mirena IUD (intrauterine device) that has drastically controlled my heavy periods and allowed me to be able to leave my house without fear of bleeding all over whatever chair I happen to be sitting in in public. It really sucks being a woman with PCOS, but I believe this is a time to live and not to die. There are much worse things that could happen to me.

Comment from: RNMOM1961, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have never been formally diagnosed but as a nurse with the symptoms described here I am sure I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). As a young teen I always had late, heavy periods, 8 to 10 weeks apart. I tried birth control several times but had headaches and leg cramps. It took me 5 years to get pregnant with the help of an infertility specialist, a D&C and Clomid. I was on a diet and had lost 10 lbs when I conceived my daughter 26 years ago. I didn"t have acne and weight gain but am an 'apple' shape and have difficulty losing weight even with diet and exercise. Sixteen years ago I conceived in 8 to 10 weeks without the use of Clomid. Over the years I have had cysts on ultrasound they have found during my yearly gynecological exam. I have not had to take metformin or been diagnosed with insulin-resistance. My advice to every woman would be to seek the advice of an infertility specialist if you have POCS and are trying to conceive. I wish all of you the best of luck! As women we must support each other as usually you have friends that do not have PCOS and infertility so they have no idea how you feel.

Comment from: sandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 25 years old. I have had a problem of irregular periods, I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) 3 years ago in 2011. I was put on contraceptive pills to regulate my cycle. I was switched to progesterone only pill later for a year, until I got married last year in 2012. Since January 2013 I am not on medication and have been trying to conceive. I didn't get a period from April to July and I consulted my gynecologist who put me on metformin tablet 1500 mg/day. Unfortunately 5 months after taking metformin I have not had a period on my own and I am not pregnant yet.

Comment from: Lilly's Mommy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with PCOS. Found out after missing my period for 1 year and always having it irregular. The Dr. didn't go into much detail about what it is and what affects it. So I did my own search and here is what I learned. Insulin carries sugar and helps turn it to energy. Sometimes it doesn't work right. The insulin gets over produced which causes our hormones to go haywire. Testosterone goes up, Estrogen goes down. We grow hair, get acne like a teenage boy, go bald like an old man and especially have a hard time getting pregnant. So I changed my diet cut out all processed sugars and carbs. Lost the weight, balance my glucose and had my period within 3 months after going 1 year without. Best part of all within 6 months I became pregnant with a beautiful baby girl named Lilly. She turned 1 yesterday. It's not a perfect science but we were never intended to eat how most Americans eat. Before medicine try a Normal, Natural way to help deal with PCOS. We all have our cross to bear, this is just our ladies. Stay Positive, Stay Healthy and do the research!

Comment from: Icanttell, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am fifteen years old. I have PCOS. I have gained a lot of weight around my waist, the back of my neck and armpits are darker than what it used to be. I feel anxious and often very sorrowful. I try to calm myself by telling myself that god is testing me. I have problems with settling my pimples, I am undergoing treatment for it. I may have high levels of thyroid too; I still have to undergo more tests to see how serious it is.

Comment from: JIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

The symptoms of my polycystic ovarian syndrome started with an irregular cycle, when I was 25 years old. I did not develop acne or hirsutism. I am having difficulty in conceiving. I have been trying for six months now. My ultrasound scan showed that my right ovary has multiple cysts, whereas my left ovary was normal. My LH and FSH are in the normal range, but the ratio is 1:1. I have taken three cycles of Clomid, but it was of no use.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.