Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: sandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 25 years old. I have had a problem of irregular periods, I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) 3 years ago in 2011. I was put on contraceptive pills to regulate my cycle. I was switched to progesterone only pill later for a year, until I got married last year in 2012. Since January 2013 I am not on medication and have been trying to conceive. I didn't get a period from April to July and I consulted my gynecologist who put me on metformin tablet 1500 mg/day. Unfortunately 5 months after taking metformin I have not had a period on my own and I am not pregnant yet.

Comment from: Lilly's Mommy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with PCOS. Found out after missing my period for 1 year and always having it irregular. The Dr. didn't go into much detail about what it is and what affects it. So I did my own search and here is what I learned. Insulin carries sugar and helps turn it to energy. Sometimes it doesn't work right. The insulin gets over produced which causes our hormones to go haywire. Testosterone goes up, Estrogen goes down. We grow hair, get acne like a teenage boy, go bald like an old man and especially have a hard time getting pregnant. So I changed my diet cut out all processed sugars and carbs. Lost the weight, balance my glucose and had my period within 3 months after going 1 year without. Best part of all within 6 months I became pregnant with a beautiful baby girl named Lilly. She turned 1 yesterday. It's not a perfect science but we were never intended to eat how most Americans eat. Before medicine try a Normal, Natural way to help deal with PCOS. We all have our cross to bear, this is just our ladies. Stay Positive, Stay Healthy and do the research!

Comment from: Icanttell, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am fifteen years old. I have PCOS. I have gained a lot of weight around my waist, the back of my neck and armpits are darker than what it used to be. I feel anxious and often very sorrowful. I try to calm myself by telling myself that god is testing me. I have problems with settling my pimples, I am undergoing treatment for it. I may have high levels of thyroid too; I still have to undergo more tests to see how serious it is.

Comment from: JIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

The symptoms of my polycystic ovarian syndrome started with an irregular cycle, when I was 25 years old. I did not develop acne or hirsutism. I am having difficulty in conceiving. I have been trying for six months now. My ultrasound scan showed that my right ovary has multiple cysts, whereas my left ovary was normal. My LH and FSH are in the normal range, but the ratio is 1:1. I have taken three cycles of Clomid, but it was of no use.

Comment from: pcosprincess, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 years old. I was taken to the doctor when I turned 16 and still had not had my first period. My endocrinologist at the time prescribed a high dose of Metormin but did little else. It had no effect on me at the time. Later, a gynecologist prescribed Medroxyprogesterone to start my period and then birth control to maintain it. I've been on hormonal birth control ever since to maintain regular periods and prevent uterine cancer. I haven't had many cysts, and the few that I did have erupted when I was in my teens. I am however obese (but working on it with the help of an amazing doctor who also has PCOS and really knows what she's talking about). I also have a lot of excess facial hair and body hair growth. I grow thick hair in small patches around my chin and jawline that I pluck and also grow finer hair on my lower stomach and butt that I can shave. My insulin level is currently at 25 (normal is 3-25) and my doctor has set a goal for me to reduce it to 18-20 with diet (high protein/low carb) and exercising 3-4x a week. I'm still currently on 500 mg of Metformin a day and currently using the NuvaRing as my hormonal birth control.

Comment from: Nanzapp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed at the age of about 15 years old. At about 18 I started losing my hair not a lot just in the middle I have a bit of a bald spot. I almost never got my periods and at 15 that was great I was put on metphormin but refused to take it due to the "icky" taste because I couldn't swallow pills I had to take the liquid form. Anyway, I've always wanted kids just not right now I am only 19 and single. But with the PCOS I get sent to the hospital because my period cramps are so bad I can't stand up at all. I've been on my period for about 6 months right now some days are lighter than others but I'm going to the doctor in March for some sort of treatment because I can't live like this anymore.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.