Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Kira, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 27, have been diagnosed with PCOS for 3 years ago. It is still strange to believe in it, since I have always been very skinny and did not experience much hair on my face or body. My symptoms are all about blood sugar and total absence of periods. I feel bad about not being able to have anything sweet, since I feel terrible afterwards, shaking and very weak. Last time I have had periods for almost 3 years ago. Yesterday I visited my doctor, I can't wait anymore. I am starting taking pills this weekend, hope it will help.

Comment from: Windsorgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have not been diagnosed with PCOS but instead of Polycystic Ovaries and Depression. In the city I live in it is nearly impossible to get an accurate diagnosis so I am left to just assume. I first found out I have polycystic ovaries when I went into the hospital with severe abdominal pain. In my city they said I had Polycystic ovaries but that my pain was in my mental state and that nothing was wrong. I went to a hospital 2.5 hours outside my city (I go for another medical reason) and there they found out that I had three abdominal abscesses. Since then I had suddenly also gained three sizes in one year and no one can explain why. Because I had been on Prednisone they just chalked it up to that but I know that isn't the cause because you don't suddenly gain weight from that after being on it for three years. In fact it takes two weeks to show the symptoms associated with Prednisone. The weight gain was not related to that medication. Also I have pretty bad depression which even Wellbutrin and Paxil aren't helping. I have pretty severe mood swings. I never was like this before and usually I had no trouble being a normal weight but now I am on the obese border line at my heaviest I have ever been. I can only assume that I have PCOS until I am able to move to a better city with better hospitals.

Comment from: dhariane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had an irregular menstruation since I was 14 years old. When I have menstruation my discharge is just a droplet for three days. I have already had an ultrasound as advised by my ob-gyn then the result was a small polycystic on my right ovary. That's the reason I can't get pregnant.

Comment from: hepsiba sunder, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was in the 6th grade. I was put on birth control pills. My condition has worsend since. It's nearly 9 years later and I am still being treated, but I have little hope about this situation now. I have stopped taking medication as I put on weight, and I have thick hairs growing on my chin.

Comment from: Alleycat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have been bleeding for two months now, excessive hair loss, weight gain around my belly and my neck is discolored. My gyob suspected PCOS and tests confirmed this. I'm relieved to know that I can be treated.

Comment from: Horichola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had pcos for over 6 years. I went through many doctors who didn't know how to help me and now I no longer have health insurance so I continue to suffer with free clinics turning me down. I have excessive facial hair, excruciating pain every month around ovulation for about 10 days in a row. I have no access to pain medication so my only relief is a heating pad. This disease has taken the life out of me.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.