Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female Published: March 22

This article was very informative; I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The symptoms I am having are irregular periods, heavy bleeding, obesity, dandruff, etc.

Comment from: luvamusiq, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with pcos at 21. I don't have a lot of symptoms just trouble with fertility. The prescribed morphine helped but I no longer have insurance and I have pain in my ovaries.

Published: March 15

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was 24. I am now 33 and have not conceived. It's very irritable and frustrated. I had some acne, dandruff, lots of weight gain and it's very hard to loose the weight. I now have skin problems. Over the years, it gets worse. I had no menstrual for six months and the other six months I had one. That was back in teens day. I know what others go thru. It's very hard for me. I just pray that one day I can have a child.

Comment from: perenial pcod, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have this syndrome for as long as I can remember. It has taken away my happiness. I wanted to be a normal girl all my life. I hate docs because they could never help me really. I try to be happy with the other things which GOD has bestowed in my life. It's my karma.

Comment from: Dugrad98, 25-34 Female Published: March 02

My polycystic ovarian syndrome symptoms include hair loss and extremely bad dandruff. Though I haven't gained more weight, it is very difficult for me to lose weight.

Comment from: marsha, 25-34 Female Published: February 22

I've been suffering with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) I am 34. I still haven't had a child I'm longing for, I've a lot of facial hair and been putting on so much weight. I've also had repeted yeast infections.

Comment from: Samantha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have several symptoms due to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I have a bad case of oily skin and a very regular case of yeast infection. As of late I noticed an enlargment in my genitals (clitoris). I am also gaining weight uncontrollably no matter what I do.

Comment from: Kira, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 27, have been diagnosed with PCOS for 3 years ago. It is still strange to believe in it, since I have always been very skinny and did not experience much hair on my face or body. My symptoms are all about blood sugar and total absence of periods. I feel bad about not being able to have anything sweet, since I feel terrible afterwards, shaking and very weak. Last time I have had periods for almost 3 years ago. Yesterday I visited my doctor, I can't wait anymore. I am starting taking pills this weekend, hope it will help.

Comment from: Windsorgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have not been diagnosed with PCOS but instead of Polycystic Ovaries and Depression. In the city I live in it is nearly impossible to get an accurate diagnosis so I am left to just assume. I first found out I have polycystic ovaries when I went into the hospital with severe abdominal pain. In my city they said I had Polycystic ovaries but that my pain was in my mental state and that nothing was wrong. I went to a hospital 2.5 hours outside my city (I go for another medical reason) and there they found out that I had three abdominal abscesses. Since then I had suddenly also gained three sizes in one year and no one can explain why. Because I had been on Prednisone they just chalked it up to that but I know that isn't the cause because you don't suddenly gain weight from that after being on it for three years. In fact it takes two weeks to show the symptoms associated with Prednisone. The weight gain was not related to that medication. Also I have pretty bad depression which even Wellbutrin and Paxil aren't helping. I have pretty severe mood swings. I never was like this before and usually I had no trouble being a normal weight but now I am on the obese border line at my heaviest I have ever been. I can only assume that I have PCOS until I am able to move to a better city with better hospitals.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.