Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 04

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful life sharing! I'm a mother of a 15 year old who has been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome a few months back. The give-away clue was the missing menstruation for months. She has had an approximately 30 lb. weight gain in the past year, facial hair, hand hair and very horrible acne! I'm fortunate that she is such a positive girl and is not letting the disease define her. I have learned that healthy eating will help manage a safer future for her. We thought that we ate very healthy, for the most part we do, (no fast food, not a lot of junk brought into our home) but changing everything white to whole wheat is going to be the difficult part. The sugars are addictive and I'm expecting some resistance to the removal but as a parent it is ultimately my job to help her, at least till eighteen. As of now it took approximately 3 months of blood test, hormone checks, ultrasounds and urine samples before the diagnosis. She has been put on acne/birth control pills called Diane-35 but as of yet no period, so it seems it may be one of those diseases that take some figuring out yet. The doctors say it is one of the younger cases they have seen, so it's very important we are open with our children, able to help early to manage all symptoms easier and I think most importantly the weight before it is out of control! Thanks again and stay positive.

Comment from: Angela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) when I was about 25 or 26 and also found out that my ovaries were enlarged. I had an ovarian wedge resection where they cut part of my ovaries out to get them back down to size. I currently see an endocrinologist and with the medications of metformin, spironolactone, and weight loss of 70 lb. my hormones are under control finally. I am still not pregnant, but working on it.

Comment from: ash2.25.13, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was diagnosed in August of 2013 with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). After doing research and talking to my doctor, I"ve found the simple things I do daily are the most beneficial. I had to be put on birth control to help regulate and lower the number of cysts, but I also take natural remedies. Most say weight loss and a healthy diet are key. I take cayenne pepper, acai, ginger root (helps prevent ovarian cancer also), ginseng, green tea extract, maca root, cinnamon with chromium, milk thistle, and St. John's wort (helps with the mood swings). All of these are easily obtainable at Walmart or vitamin cottage, basically any grocer or health food store. These have helped me lose weight, have energy, reduce cramping, and all around live healthier. I don"t exercise much other than in my living room with weights or going for walks. I"m a mother, student and full time employee. I can say, just a few minutes of your day, can make a big difference with this. Also if a smoker, I suggest quitting cigarettes, I"ve smoked for 5 years and after I quit, I noticed a significant amount of less cramping and mood swings. I"m not a doctor but I strongly believe in taking care of yourself when the resources are available.

Comment from: Bblove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 12 years ago, I had to be on birth control to get pregnant. I have been on metformin and a water pill that keeps potassium in my body, I have lost a goal of 60lbs and have kept it off for over a year and a half. Go see an endocrinologist!

Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with PCOS about three years ago, and at the time, I did not have insurance and had to go to the free health clinic. The doctor that I saw didn't do much to help, and I got so frustrated that I quit even trying to get her help. I no longer had a period and just put this diagnosis out of my mind until April 2008 when I started cramping and bleeding so heavily that I almost went to the hospital. My new doctor started me on birth control, and as of yet, it has not worked. I am so frustrated because almost all of the research I have done says that with diet and exercise and weight loss, I can drastically help my PCOS. However, I have been doing intense workouts three to five times a week, completely changed my eating habits, and I've lost about 37 pounds, but my PCOS is worse! I have been menstruating since the beginning of April, and this is taking a physical and emotional toll on my life. I can't work out as much because of the severe cramping, and I have had to miss a lot of work because of exhaustion.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.