Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: ash2.25.13, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was diagnosed in August of 2013 with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). After doing research and talking to my doctor, I"ve found the simple things I do daily are the most beneficial. I had to be put on birth control to help regulate and lower the number of cysts, but I also take natural remedies. Most say weight loss and a healthy diet are key. I take cayenne pepper, acai, ginger root (helps prevent ovarian cancer also), ginseng, green tea extract, maca root, cinnamon with chromium, milk thistle, and St. John's wort (helps with the mood swings). All of these are easily obtainable at Walmart or vitamin cottage, basically any grocer or health food store. These have helped me lose weight, have energy, reduce cramping, and all around live healthier. I don"t exercise much other than in my living room with weights or going for walks. I"m a mother, student and full time employee. I can say, just a few minutes of your day, can make a big difference with this. Also if a smoker, I suggest quitting cigarettes, I"ve smoked for 5 years and after I quit, I noticed a significant amount of less cramping and mood swings. I"m not a doctor but I strongly believe in taking care of yourself when the resources are available.

Comment from: Bblove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome 12 years ago, I had to be on birth control to get pregnant. I have been on metformin and a water pill that keeps potassium in my body, I have lost a goal of 60lbs and have kept it off for over a year and a half. Go see an endocrinologist!

Published: June 18

I was diagnosed with PCOS about three years ago, and at the time, I did not have insurance and had to go to the free health clinic. The doctor that I saw didn't do much to help, and I got so frustrated that I quit even trying to get her help. I no longer had a period and just put this diagnosis out of my mind until April 2008 when I started cramping and bleeding so heavily that I almost went to the hospital. My new doctor started me on birth control, and as of yet, it has not worked. I am so frustrated because almost all of the research I have done says that with diet and exercise and weight loss, I can drastically help my PCOS. However, I have been doing intense workouts three to five times a week, completely changed my eating habits, and I've lost about 37 pounds, but my PCOS is worse! I have been menstruating since the beginning of April, and this is taking a physical and emotional toll on my life. I can't work out as much because of the severe cramping, and I have had to miss a lot of work because of exhaustion.

Comment from: I.G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 53. I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) when I was 27. I am on metformin, antidepressants, and Vaniqa. Birth control made my depression severe so I couldn"t do it. I also had migraines and hot flashes since age 16, which probably has nothing to do with PCOS, but 3 years ago a doctor put me on Topamax just to help control my migraines. I lost 80 pounds and my hot flashes went away! It should not be taken if you want children. It is really for migraines, but if any of you have the same symptoms I thought it could be a discussion with you and your doctor.

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) as well. When we wanted to have kids, I was not diagnosed yet. We had a hard time getting pregnant, we timed it, charted it, and used ovulation testing too. I was stressed thinking I could not have kids. We did Clomid for several months. We tried to get pregnant for 2 years. Then we decided to stop trying to have kids. And happily we got pregnant! Now we have 2 wonderful kids. I did get the gestational diabetes with my 2nd pregnancy. I was diagnosed with the PCOS after I had kids.

Comment from: ANNE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

It is not unusual to me having irregularity in my cycle since the first time I had my menstruation, until late last year I went through ultrasound and was found out to be PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). My obstetrician simply told me to lose weight and exercise. When I consulted another specialist she gave me the contraceptive and metformin. And she told me that my PCOS was the reason for my acne problem. I have been having this for a couple of years. It just frustrates me and makes me feel depressed. I had many medications but it just gets worse.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.