Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Published: June 03

I was diagnosed after at 19 after I suddenly started gaining weight, growing a beard practically, and developing huge zits all over my jaw line. It was mis diagnosed several times because "all teens have irregular periods", "oh you get used to cramps they aren't that bad", "freshmen 15", " well you're Turkish and maybe you are more likely to grow hair...", "lot's of people have hypoglycemia". Things like that. It was my laser hair removal specialist who pointed to PCOS and sure enough that was me. DIET and EXERCISE are the best treatment. I went on Accutane twice and may be going on it again to help with the acne. I am now 27 and I am trying a holistic approach to help with the symptoms. I work out like a crazy person and keep a really good but not ultra strict diet but I am still 15 lbs overweight. The more overweight I get the worse my symptoms. I tried to go off the pill but that has made my symptoms worse so I am going back on. My periods are irregular no matter what pill I am on and they are terrible. I have to miss at least one day of work or school each cycle. But luckily I don't have too many. Diet is so important I have food cravings like you wouldn't believe but I know that if I am craving it that means I should probably never have it. I only eat organic meat and not too much. It absolutely helped. I eat lots of fruit and veg and NO REFINED SUGARS! NONE! It takes about 6 months but it is true if you can push through it cold turkey you no longer want sugars that much. I will definitely eat a tasty homemade cookie sometimes but that is about it. I hope this is informative for you I def. know how hard it is but make the gym your new friend and you'll be okay.

Published: May 30

I have known I have PCOS for close to 15 years. I just want other females out there to know that weight loss and a change of diet is your best bet. Your problem may not go away, but learning how your body responds to the change in diet and exercise can really change the symptoms of PCOS. I lost a substantial amount of weight, and I no longer have PCO, but I still have the symptoms of it. I'm also on a few different vitamins that have helped with the insulin resistance, and just knowing what's exactly wrong with your body is the key to changing it.

Published: May 30

I am 27 year old mother of a six month old baby. I was diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance at 19, I never missed a period, it would just come longer but over the years it just became normal, 5days every 4 wks. The doc said i would not be able to get pregnant because of this condition so needless to say getting pregnant was a shocker. While pregnant I found out I had a fibroid and after I had the baby I found out I had ten cysts as well on my ovaries. My symptoms are excessive weight gain skin discolorations, and hair loss. I have tried everything to loose the weight but it sure is a losing battle.

Published: July 17

I recently found out I was pregnant, and I was having some pain, so I was sent for a scan. I was told that I had a cyst that was the size of a golf ball. The doctors said they would not touch it, as I was pregnant. Unfortunately, I miscarried and was told to go back for a scan four weeks afterward to see what had happened with the cyst. It had gone away, but I was told that I probably had PCOS because of all the follicles in my left ovary. I had to have blood tests. When the results came back, the doctor said they were all normal aside from having high cholesterol. The doctor recommended that I change my diet.

Published: July 14

I just found out that I have PCOS and I am 29. I was pregnant and had a miscarriage. If that wouldn't have happened, I wouldn't know I had it. No other female in my family has it, and I'm a twin. My doctor is challenging me to lose weight but it is hard because I've gained 80 pounds in the last year.

Published: July 14

I am 26 and after 10 years of suffering, I was finally diagnosed with PCOS. I have been able to have children, but it wasn't until I had lost 50 pounds that I was able to conceive. My two children are 14 months apart, and I had my tubes tied after my second child because we were concerned about me having a third c-section. Because I am done having children, everyone around me keeps telling me that I should just have a hysterectomy and be done with it. I am interested in finding a way to resolve my problem without surgery. I have been on birth control for almost one month and that only seems to make me cry all the time and eat like a pig.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.