Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Published: July 22

I went five months without having a period. Then I was put on metformin. It's been three months now since I was diagnosed with PCOS, and I still get painful periods, especially when I ovulate. I have excessive facial hair and patches of dark skin on my back. However, since I started metformin I have lost 18 pounds, from 218 to 200. I have completely changed my diet, and I drink a lot of purified water. Although I feel physically better, emotional I'm torn because I've been trying to conceive for two years.

Comment from: mommyJ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I'm 20 years old, young mom and my daughter is 4 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) 1 year ago. I take birth control pills and it helps my monthly period cycle.

Comment from: hritu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 32 years lady. As i went to check my irregular period then i was told that there is pcos. I became sad. Please I also want to it's true diagnosis. Actually I would want to have a baby. Now cycle has stopped for six months.

Comment from:, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

I'm not a caregiver. I am dating a man who has a daughter with this. She's a wonderful girl and was diagnosed two years ago. She has multiple ovarian cysts and also a growth on her pituitary gland. She is obese and has facial hair. She was placed on Yaz and metformin, but couldn't take the metformin because of stomach problems. She recently had a scan on the growth on her pituitary gland and it's growing. I told her not to take the Yaz because of all of the bad hype. I didn't realize the significance of this diagnosis until this afternoon when I looked it up. There is lots of heart disease in her family. Her endocrinologist told her to get mammograms earlier because she could get breast cancer. She only sees this doctor once every six months and is currently not being treated. She is not so concerned about having children. She can't take the metformin. She's 22 and doesn't really realize the situation. I'm wondering what her options might be.

Published: January 16

I am 23 years old. I have always had irregular periods and acne. When my acne became so bad and I began to bleed non-stop with heavy, prolonged periods, I started birth control pills. The pills helped my periods stay regular and my acne was very minimal. Three years later, I developed cysts on my ovaries and constant PMS symptoms. I tried every diet under the sun and exercised five days a week. No matter what I did, I kept gaining weight uncontrollably. My sex drive plummeted, and I haven't had an orgasm in years. Miserable, I went back to my doctor who tried several different birth control pills and none of them helped.

Published: July 14

I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I was diagnosed less than a year ago. My insulin was extremely high and so was my testosterone level. I went to several doctors until I found one that could help. I was on my third month straight of having a period. When the birth control I was prescribed didn't work, I knew something else had to be done. That is when I found a doctor who started me on metformin. My period stopped, and I am now 53 pounds lighter. I no longer need the metformin because my insulin is back to normal and so are my periods. I also must add that I cut back on the sugar in my diet and started eating mostly organic food. I hope this gives someone hope and encouragement. I am no longer on meds and doing fine. The only thing I have to do now is stick to my diet. I feel I need to mention that metformin helped bring down my food cravings. I know what you are going through. It is a hard battle not many understand. My advice is to keep shopping for a doctor until you find one that can help.

Published: July 14

I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am 38 years old and have always had irregular periods. Sometimes I would go five or six months without a period, and when I had one, it would last two to three weeks! I went to many doctors, and not a one of them could help me. I finally found a genius of a doctor. He ran some lab work and found out that I am insulin-resistant. I'm supposed to be at 4 and I'm at 37. My doctor prescribed glucophage, and the past two months my period started and ended on the same day each month! This has never happened before, and I am thrilled because I am on my way to getting pregnant!

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.