Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Jenny, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am 24 years old and I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) a year after I started my periods. I always had irregular periods in my life. Sometimes I have prolonged periods, sometimes missing for 2 or 3 months, sometimes very heavy. I started gaining so much weight. I eat so less to look the way I do. Doctors prescribed birth control pills. Last year I had a very bad acne. Doctor changed the pill and it is a little better now. Also, I managed to lose 15 pounds a year back. But, without even me noticing, I gained it back. It is so annoying that everything always goes back to PCOS. I got married 2 months back. Although I am not trying now, my worst nightmare is the difficulty in trying to get pregnant. Hoping that it wouldn't be so hard.

Comment from: tin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was also diagnosed of having polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since January of this year. My last menstruation was last month and it was the 3rd time for this year. I'm on birth control pills and metformin. I hope I'll get better in time, my husband and I have decided to have a baby. Have faith ladies!

Comment from: I.G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 53. I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) when I was 27. I am on metformin, antidepressants, and Vaniqa. Birth control made my depression severe so I couldn"t do it. I also had migraines and hot flashes since age 16, which probably has nothing to do with PCOS, but 3 years ago a doctor put me on Topamax just to help control my migraines. I lost 80 pounds and my hot flashes went away! It should not be taken if you want children. It is really for migraines, but if any of you have the same symptoms I thought it could be a discussion with you and your doctor.

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) as well. When we wanted to have kids, I was not diagnosed yet. We had a hard time getting pregnant, we timed it, charted it, and used ovulation testing too. I was stressed thinking I could not have kids. We did Clomid for several months. We tried to get pregnant for 2 years. Then we decided to stop trying to have kids. And happily we got pregnant! Now we have 2 wonderful kids. I did get the gestational diabetes with my 2nd pregnancy. I was diagnosed with the PCOS after I had kids.

Comment from: ANNE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

It is not unusual to me having irregularity in my cycle since the first time I had my menstruation, until late last year I went through ultrasound and was found out to be PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). My obstetrician simply told me to lose weight and exercise. When I consulted another specialist she gave me the contraceptive and metformin. And she told me that my PCOS was the reason for my acne problem. I have been having this for a couple of years. It just frustrates me and makes me feel depressed. I had many medications but it just gets worse.

Comment from: Nonajosh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm 29 years old, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and I have had it for years. I'm also type 2 diabetic. When I was 24 I became pregnant with my son, but before that I was trying for four years with my husband. I went to the doctor and he told me I have this and to watch my diabetes, lose some weight and take metformin. I went to the doctor in July 2008 and I became pregnant in Oct 2008 after I did what he said and it worked.

Published: July 25

I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and only because I ended up in hospital with a ruptured cyst. I was in agony. My gynecologist has been very good but I wont see him again for another month, but now I'm left wondering if I have to stop trying to conceive with my husband or in what condition my body is in. Am I infertile and what are my next steps? A month feels so long away for my questions to be answered. I am only married a year and have been trying for the last 8 months. For years we prevented pregnancy and now we are trying and have been dealt this blow.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.