Patient Comments: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Comment from: Nonajosh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm 29 years old, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and I have had it for years. I'm also type 2 diabetic. When I was 24 I became pregnant with my son, but before that I was trying for four years with my husband. I went to the doctor and he told me I have this and to watch my diabetes, lose some weight and take metformin. I went to the doctor in July 2008 and I became pregnant in Oct 2008 after I did what he said and it worked.

Published: July 25

I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and only because I ended up in hospital with a ruptured cyst. I was in agony. My gynecologist has been very good but I wont see him again for another month, but now I'm left wondering if I have to stop trying to conceive with my husband or in what condition my body is in. Am I infertile and what are my next steps? A month feels so long away for my questions to be answered. I am only married a year and have been trying for the last 8 months. For years we prevented pregnancy and now we are trying and have been dealt this blow.

Published: July 22

I went five months without having a period. Then I was put on metformin. It's been three months now since I was diagnosed with PCOS, and I still get painful periods, especially when I ovulate. I have excessive facial hair and patches of dark skin on my back. However, since I started metformin I have lost 18 pounds, from 218 to 200. I have completely changed my diet, and I drink a lot of purified water. Although I feel physically better, emotional I'm torn because I've been trying to conceive for two years.

Comment from: mommyJ, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I'm 20 years old, young mom and my daughter is 4 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) 1 year ago. I take birth control pills and it helps my monthly period cycle.

Comment from: hritu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 32 years lady. As i went to check my irregular period then i was told that there is pcos. I became sad. Please I also want to it's true diagnosis. Actually I would want to have a baby. Now cycle has stopped for six months.

Comment from: windchime1138@aol.co, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

I'm not a caregiver. I am dating a man who has a daughter with this. She's a wonderful girl and was diagnosed two years ago. She has multiple ovarian cysts and also a growth on her pituitary gland. She is obese and has facial hair. She was placed on Yaz and metformin, but couldn't take the metformin because of stomach problems. She recently had a scan on the growth on her pituitary gland and it's growing. I told her not to take the Yaz because of all of the bad hype. I didn't realize the significance of this diagnosis until this afternoon when I looked it up. There is lots of heart disease in her family. Her endocrinologist told her to get mammograms earlier because she could get breast cancer. She only sees this doctor once every six months and is currently not being treated. She is not so concerned about having children. She can't take the metformin. She's 22 and doesn't really realize the situation. I'm wondering what her options might be.

Published: January 16

I am 23 years old. I have always had irregular periods and acne. When my acne became so bad and I began to bleed non-stop with heavy, prolonged periods, I started birth control pills. The pills helped my periods stay regular and my acne was very minimal. Three years later, I developed cysts on my ovaries and constant PMS symptoms. I tried every diet under the sun and exercised five days a week. No matter what I did, I kept gaining weight uncontrollably. My sex drive plummeted, and I haven't had an orgasm in years. Miserable, I went back to my doctor who tried several different birth control pills and none of them helped.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, and exams that led to a diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Complications Question: Please discuss the complications you've experienced with PCOS.