Patient Comments: PKD - Experience

Please describe your experience with PKD.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I found out I had polycystic kidney disease (PKD) later in life through MRI. However I experienced high blood pressure early in life, early twenties. I had four miscarriages. I had one kidney infection on the left side. My blood pressure seems uncontrollable and tends to get higher with age. I am a small boned person with normal weight yet, I have developed a large stick-out stomach.

Comment from: Amy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with PKD after my first baby was born, I was 26 years old. As an adolescent I always had burning micturition. It cleared on its own. After diagnosis I was put on heavy antibiotics and a specific diet. I was better. My renal profile is normal. During the second pregnancy I had hematuria off and on again controlled by medicines. Now I am 56 years old, I keep my weight under control and annually test my renal profile, lipid profile and ultrasound abdomen. My kidneys are now around 12 inches and have bilateral PKD. I avoid red meat and high protein diet and take a lot of liquids. I do keep a check on BP. I have headaches also. Rest all is healthy eating, a caring husband and children keep me going.

PKD - Autosomal Dominant Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with autosomal dominant PKD?
PKD - Autosomal Dominant Treatment Question: What was the treatment for autosomal dominant PKD?
PKD - Autosomal Recessive Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you or someone you know experience with autosomal recessive PKD?
PKD - Autosomal Recessive Treatment Question: What treatments were effective with your case, or the case of someone you know, for autosomal recessive PKD?