Patient Comments: Poland Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Poland syndrome.

Comment from: Chakayalf, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

I noticed my son had a small nipple that looked tattooed on his left side, but the doctor dismissed my worries. When he was about 5 or so, I googled his symptoms: absent pectoral muscle, smaller fingers on left side, left clavicle at a different angle, etc. Poland syndrome covered all the symptoms. My son is 13 now and midway through puberty. The differences between one side of his body and the other are becoming more marked as he grows and he is now beginning to be self-conscious about it. I am not sure what to do next. Do we see the doctor and get a confirmation, so it is on his records if he wants something done at a later date (i.e. pectoral implant), or not. I don't want him to feel more insecure than he does now. Those teenage years are a mine field as it is.

Comment from: LuckyMom5, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I just learned the name of my deformity is Poland syndrome; missing development of right side pectoral muscle and breast. I had implants at age 34 and was pleased with results. I have been told that my maternal grandmother had this condition. I have right kidney that 'floats' and is palpable. I have had some minor issues over the years but have had 5 normal births. I just learned that I have scleroderma per ANA blood test. So far I only have some digestive issues. Thanks for the information on Poland syndrome as I was also curious about my condition and no medical personnel ever informed me as to the name.

Comment from: Fig65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was just diagnosed with Poland syndrome at age 51. My left side of my body is smaller than my right. I hardly have a left breast and my left hand is small. I was born with this and have never told what happened or a name for it.

Comment from: Appy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have Poland syndrome, my right side chest muscle is missing. I came to know when I went for my pilot medical exam, they declared me unfit to fly but later couple of tests were done and they found I can do all works as a normal person. Now I am 35, and I am an airline pilot.

Comment from: Lessone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I was born with Poland syndrome and didn't find out until I was 53, and I'm now 57. A lot of the doctors I spoke with never heard of it. I haven't had any surgery to correct it. I would like to just to see how it feels to be a whole woman because it is hard dating with this. I don't have web feet or hands, I look normal. Just my right breast didn't develop. I haven't found a bra that would have a form filled cup. I have tried bras for cancer patients but no luck. So from this point I don't know what to do.

Comment from: mr g, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I am 50 and had Poland syndrome since birth in hand and chest. I am in horrendous pain in my arm, hand and back. I never asked anyone for help, but I got DLA (disability living allowance) payment of 20 pound as I had troubles cooking a meal. I had to transfer to personal independence payment, no chance I thought, but I now get 83 pound a week to help with my care and 25 a week to help with my mobility, and a blue badge for the car, after all those years of suffering with no help.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: April 06

I have Poland syndrome and first became aware of it at around five years of age. I've always been grateful to my family for not making it an issue in my younger years. I am missing the right pectoralis major which caused me to use my left arm for any functions that required added strength, such as in bowling or throwing a ball. While in high school I participated in varsity wrestling and football. I even had a 24 year career in the Navy, retiring as a Chief Petty Officer. Obviously, the absence of the pectoralis muscle didn't go unnoticed at the many physicals I went through. I will admit to being very self- conscious of my appearance but at this stage in life I have no intention of undergoing any cosmetic enhancements or corrections.

Poland Syndrome - Treatment and Surgery Question: Please share your experience with surgery to treat your Poland syndrome.
Poland Syndrome - Features Question: What physical differences has Poland syndrome caused in your body?
Poland Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: When were you diagnosed with Poland syndrome?
Poland Syndrome - Response Question: What steps have you taken to address the complications of Poland syndrome?