Patient Comments: Pneumothorax - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: lw126, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 31 and I have had 6 Neumothorax. My doctor's believe that this is a result of a condition called thoracic endometriosis. My symptoms have varied depending on the size of the collapse. My 1st collapse was 75% and I experienced a dull pain in my shoulder, stabbing pain in the center of my chest when I breathed in and out. The others were all under 20% and I experienced the dull pain in my shoulder and a crunching feeling in my chest when breathing in and out. Definitely worse when stretching.

Comment from: Jon M, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 18 and recovering from my second pneumothorax. I got my first one 3 months ago from this one on my right side. I had the VATS treatment for this one. The first time I had to have a chest tube inserted for a couple days, for this one I was in the hospital for a week. I was an athlete, healthy kid, smart student and a non smoker and it happened to me. I am tall and thin though. Hopefully the VATS treatment will prevent this from happening again.

Comment from: dwaynec, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 26

Severe chest pains, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, easily tired, difficulty speaking, difficulty walking.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: November 14

Like mild to strong sharp chest pain, and shortness of breath. My lung collapsed 30 percent of capacity, and they put a tube in my chest.

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.
Pneumothorax - Treatment Question: Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?